Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How can I restore my CD/DVD Drive killed by Norton Ghost 12 (Read 3731 times)
IntrepBerkExplorer
Dude

Berkeley, CA USA

How can I restore my CD/DVD Drive killed by Norton Ghost 12
Jul 21st, 2007 at 6:54pm

I was doing a test to see if I could reach the Recovery Environment by placing the Norton Ghost 12 disk in my CD/DVD Drive, which is Drive F on my computer.  The test worked fine, and I did nothing.  Then I exited properly, removing the Norton Ghost disk from the F Drive.

Now I discover the following, all of which was clearly caused by Norton Ghost's disk:

1. The empty DC/DVD Drive F falsely shows that it contains a disk, and the read/write light is also on.

2. The F Drive is locked.  It will not open, rejecting that command, which is part of the F Drive.

3. The F Drive has disappeared from the listing of my drives, as shown when I click on My Computer.  This happened previously with Norton Ghost when I was told to delete the trial version, and that deletion also caused the F Drive to vanish from my computer.  This was solved by re-installing the trial version, which brought back the F Drive.  I never expected the same problem to occur once the complete version of Norton Ghost was installed and appeared stable.

What can I do?  The computer otherwise works normally, and I have internet access, but no F Drive, thanks to Norton Ghost.  Is there a simple fix?  I am not technical.

There must be some way to restore the F Drive and regain control of it.  Nothing involving disks can work so long as the F Drive remains locked.

Help!

Dave

IP Logged

IntrepBerkExplorer
Dude

Berkeley, CA USA

Re: How can I restore my CD/DVD Drive killed by Norton Ghost 12
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 7:12pm

I solved it, but could still use advice about whether such a mess can be prevented.

What worked was turning the computer off.  Then I re-booted and then regained control over the command to open the F drive.  It opened, with no disk of course, but also the false lights no longer showing that it had a disk. 

With the effects from Norton Ghost 12's disks somehow gone, My Computer again showed that I had an F Drive.  Hopefully the computer is normal once again, but it makes me unlikely to do any further tests with Norton Ghost 12, absent a true emergency where restoration is necessary.

Any thoughts or ideas as to cause and preventive measures?

Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print