Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moving Ghost 2003 Images (Read 2975 times)
Lcymru
Ex Member

Moving Ghost 2003 Images
Jul 22nd, 2007 at 5:41pm

New to this excellent forum.  I use Ghost 2003 to back up my C: hard drive (with XP OS) to my D: hard drive.  I have a multiple Ghost images on the D: drive, such as one for a clean re-install of the OS, and another loaded up with various programs.  I am replacing my D: drive.  Can I just copy the Ghost images from the old D: drive to a temporary place, and then copy them from that temporary place down to the new D: drive?  And be confident that I can restore from those images on the new D: drive?  Thanks for any guidance.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Moving Ghost 2003 Images
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 9:57pm

Quote:
"... I am replacing my D: drive.  Can I just copy the Ghost images from the old D: drive to a temporary place, and then copy them from that temporary place down to the new D: drive?  And be confident that I can restore from those images on the new D: drive?..."

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1102555800/4#4

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 3:18am

Which is the reason for replacing the drive? It seems to be working, right?

Are you going to reuse the old drive in another system? If so, consider not reusing it but keeping it as it is in a drawer.

If I was going to replace my "ghost"-drive, I would use Ghost 2003 to clone the old to the new. Next step would be to run integrity checks on the images on the new "ghost"-drive. If they all pass the check, they are likely to restore as well but no guaranties. Actually, there are no guaranties that the images will restore from the old drive either ... Huh ... anything can go wrong.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Lcymru
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 9:52pm

Thanks.  Not sure I understood all at the link, but seems like "moving" ought to work.  I  might try the clone approach if I can figure out how [I have two Sata drives, with enough Sata ports for a third drive, but am not sure I have a drive bay for the third drive in order to carry out the clone].  I'm replacing the D: drive for extra space (plus the old drive is 3 years old, and my C: OS drive of the same vintage recently failed).  Will keep the old one in a drawer.  Thanks again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print