Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Booting from CD with ghost 12 (Read 2959 times)
helpmehelpyou
Ex Member

Booting from CD with ghost 12
Jul 31st, 2007 at 4:20pm

Hi folks......just registered after hours of reading.  I've got a couple questions which I apologize in advance for if they've already been covered here.  If I spend anymore time reading the forums my boss is liable to crawl up my ass.

Anyway, i'm semi familiar with ghost cast...and vaguely remembered you could boot with a cd and basically run the app through the cd....

I just bought ghost 12 and the iso file does not look like it can does this.  It reminds me of erd commander but not the old ghost.  I basically have some machines that I can NOT alter the configuration of in any way but need a way to image them and replace the drives should that be necessary.

Since ghost 12 doesn't appear to be the solution (or if it is and I'm missing something please let me know) what can I use to image these machines from a boot cd onto an external HD?

Also important to note is that there is virtually no LAN or WAN access......or such terrible connectivity that it would not be worth it.

Thanks in advance,

JY

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Booting from CD with ghost 12
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 11:59am

Helpmehelpyou, you are correct:  Norton Ghost 12 does not allow the user to create a recovery point (aka “image”) by using the Symantec Recovery Disk CD.  This capability was present in both Norton Ghost 9 and 10, in the form of a Windows PE version of Norton Ghost 2003 (i.e., as Norton Ghost 8.2).  Of course, you could also use Norton Ghost 2003 from a DOS diskette, too.

In all cases, though, note that you need one license for Ghost for each PC on which it is used.

Rad has a good listing of almost all image backup tools, and there may be a non-Symantec product that meets you needs, too.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print