Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Ghost 12 problems (Read 71334 times)
rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Ghost 12 problems
Aug 4th, 2007 at 12:38pm

I have g12 on 2 cds, one the install, the other is the recovery disc. I installed g12 to a pIII running xp pro sp2. It did not run a driver validation like the manual says. I reinserted the cd and had a window which lists choices, one of which says driver validation. I clicked it and it says cannot perform this function... I then inserted the recovery disc, which offers the same choice. I clicked it and it performed driver validation. Why does it not work on the g12 install cd?
It says I need 2 drivers, neither of which were knowingly installed by me beyond a full xp install. One is miniport. Where do I get these and why are they not covered once full xp has been restored?

I ran a recovery point creation, which worked. I then rebooted from the recovery cd, and it paused to load files like a fresh install would do. When it finish the message was "cannot continue, bios incompatable with...?
This doesn't seem to be as straightforward as I hoped. How can my bios be incompatable with a program that is cloning a working system?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 12 problems
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 3:40pm

rleescott,

Do you have the latest BIOS for your computer? If you do I'd contact Symantec about this BIOS problem. But try creating a custom CD first. Page 19 in the userguide.

Quote:
This is the address of the driver department.
NIC_drivers@symantec.com

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 3:52pm

rleescott wrote on Aug 4th, 2007 at 12:38pm:
I have g12 on 2 cds, one the install, the other is the recovery disc. I installed g12 to a pIII running xp pro sp2.

Did you purchase the retail boxed version of Ghost 12?  The reason I ask is that I have the retail version of Ghost 12 and it has only ONE cd, which is both the install and the recovery funcitons all on one cd.  

Maybe you downloaded the trial version on one cd, and then later purchased and downloaded the recovery separately?

This is just a guess, but the fact that you have a Pentium III and it complains about bios, may be related to the older pc.  I'm surprised that it runs XP very well.  I don't see anything in the Ghost 12 manual about hardware requirements...other than the fact that you need 512MB memory to start the recovery CD, plus available disk space.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 11:40am

Thanks for the reply. You are correct, I activated the trial version and then was given the option to download a recovery cd. The manual makes no mention of the activated trial version being incapable of validating drivers, and it seems that driver validation is too important to not do it if you are recovering from catastrophic failure. The recovery cd was presented to me as an option not a necessity, without informing me that I would not be able to validate drivers without the recovery disk, even though the option is listed on the ghost cd. In fact the manual says that if oyu don't receive a validation problem, you have no driver issues, and this is clearly not true. I wonder what other unknown problems exist?

I therefore feel obliged to do a full test before trusting the program. If I had stopped when the system booted from the cd before all files were loaded, I would have assumed that I was good to go with my recovery point and bootable recovery disk. As we can see, I would have been wrong, since there is a bios problem that no one anticipated.

Futhermore, the minmum requirement for xp from microsoft is PII 300mH, so PIII is certainly acceptable, and, in fact, xp runs fine. If PIII bios is a ghost problem, then it should be listed as such in system requirements before purchase.

I have tried tech support from symantec, and as others here have noted, I get an immediate email notice of receipt, a promise of 24 hr response, and nothing else. It has been 7 days.

I woul still like to know where to get drivers mentioned in driver validation if they are not something that I recognize as an aftermarket install by me. Afterall, these drivers are clearly present on xp, or those features controlled by them would not be operational, and my system would not be functioning.

Something is amiss here.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 4:59pm

rleescott wrote on Aug 5th, 2007 at 11:40am:
I therefore feel obliged to do a full test before trusting the program. problem, then it should be listed as such in system requirements before purchase.
I have tried tech support from Symantec, and as others here have noted, I get an immediate email notice of receipt, a promise of 24 hr response, and nothing else. It has been 7 days...

I agree with you that it is important to do a full test (at least try and recover a folder or a few files using the Recovery CD).

Rather than wait forever for an email response, which others have reported never arrives, you can try their online chat which is free:

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/support/productdetail/contact_ts_en.jsp?...

I don't know what the error message you indicated means either, but I do know that you can get a full refund within 30 days (I think that's the limit) by calling their customer support contacts.

Do you have support in your bios for disks larger than 127 gb?  You mentioned Pentium III, so thought it might be possible that PC doesn't have large disk support.  I'm not sure why that would be a requirement unless you are replacing your drive with a larger one.  Other than the free disk space and 512MB memory, I don't see any other obvious gottchas in their system requirements.

Please post back here what their free online chat says.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 5:31pm

rleescott,

Did the custom CD help?

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 8:58am

Thanks to all for the replies. Regarding the custom cd,  my understanding is that it iwill be the recovery disc I have with the addition of the recommended  drivers revealed during driver validation. I have 4 drivers mentioned, none of which I recognize as anything I have installed. E.g., packet miniport scheduler, ssci\raid controller, and more. Where do I get these? I have tried driverdownloads .com w/o results. It seems to me they are supported on xp if the install can be completed, since everything functions well on the current original installation. But if the ghost won't proceed to completion w/o them, then we all need a method to create a custom recovery disc with what seems to me to be drivers that we all will need but that are not on the recovery cd. Is this true?
I don't know how to tell if the bios supports large disc size, but PIII is not archaic, just not the most current, by virute of the fact that xp runs fine on it.
Any thoughts regarding the driver issue?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 9:18am

rleescott wrote on Aug 7th, 2007 at 8:58am:
I have 4 drivers mentioned, none of which I recognize as anything I have installed. E.g., packet miniport scheduler, ssci\raid controller, and more. Where do I get these?

From your description and the age of your computer, it appears that you probably have your hard drive connected to a hard-drive-controller in your pc, and not directly to the motherboard.  Is that true?

Promise (and other manufacturers) were common with separate hard drive controllers; often used to overcome bios issues with the motherboard.

Have you ever booted from a DOS diskette and been able to access your hard drive?  You probably had to use special drivers, is my guess.

Look inside your pc and see if you can identify the card manufacturer and from their website, look for DOS drivers.  These are the ones you would put on a diskette and press F6 at the boot prompt to include.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 11:31am

Maybe the add-in card in your PC is a scsi card to support a scsi hard drive.  That's another possibility.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 2:48pm

rleescott wrote on Aug 7th, 2007 at 8:58am:
But if the ghost won't proceed to completion w/o them, then we all need a method to create a custom recovery disc with what seems to me to be drivers that we all will need but that are not on the recovery cd.

See page 19 in the userguide. It's easy but one member had to use SATA drivers on a floppy to allow the custom CD to be completed.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 9:45am

I have become more confused regarding using G12, so I decided to check and make sure the program itself will copy a hard drive . In using the copy wizard I find that the copy proceeds to completion, but I did stall with an error that I forgot to copy down for reference, but it said I could ignore this error and proceed if I wish, which I did. I then installed the copy as a master and it boots to just before sign  in and no further. It also tries to run check disk on the new drive and calls it E:, which is what I did before making the copy. I suspect that I did something wrong, but need help. Also the box to check for expanding the drive to fill unallocated space was grayed out. Is that supposed to be so? I thought I wanted to check that box to have my 8G old drive converted to a 10G new drive with the 2G difference immediately available without repartitioning. It also seems that I have seen in the past a step by step tutorial for copy hard drive using ghost 12, but I can't find the link, except for creating a restore point. Any help is appreciated.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 3:09pm

rleescott,

The Ghost 9/10/12 userguides aren't specific and don't tell you that you must not copy into a partition. You must copy into unallocated space or the clone won't boot. It's easy to fix by zeroing the Disk ID.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11175...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11482...

These links apply to Ghost 12 too.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 5:10pm

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, my level of computer savy falls short, so I don't follow.
Here's is what I did. I reformatted the drive into which my C: was to be cloned. I think, from reading the links, that that was an error. On the other hand, it seems that a reformatted drive has no partitions, so I thought I cloned to unallocated space. Can you clarify?
Also, I don't want to have to boot with a floppy, I just want to change the "copy receiver" to master and boot normally to a perfect clone. I am even willing to start over on the new drive and reclone so I can learn to do it correctly,if you can specifically tell me how to avoid the error.
Also, please tell me, if I start with a 10 G drive that is C: only, and copy to a new 20G drive and want all 20 G available to C:, am i suppost to check expand to unallocated space? I specifically ask because my copy of G12 does not allow a selection in that box, it is grayed out. Am I supposed to have that option on a activated trial version? Seems like if the choice is listed, I should have the option.
Thanks for the help.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 9:41pm

rleescott,

When you buy a new HD it should be empty. That is unallocated space. If you delete a partition you are left with unallocated space. You can create partitions in unallocated space and you can then format the partitions. Partitions usually have a drive letter but not always.

A bit confusing I know. What you need to know is you must use unallocated space for cloning with Ghost 12. So if there is a partition on the new HD, it must be deleted before you continue.

Quote:
Also, please tell me, if I start with a 10 G drive that is C: only, and copy to a new 20G drive and want all 20 G available to C:, am i suppost to check expand to unallocated space? I specifically ask because my copy of G12 does not allow a selection in that box, it is grayed out. Am I supposed to have that option on a activated trial version? Seems like if the choice is listed, I should have the option. 

Yes. You have to tick “resize drive to fill unallocated space”. Yours was greyed out as you didn't have any unallocated space.

To fix your problem if you don't have a floppy drive...
Download this file    http://www.acronis.com/files/support/mbrautowrite_en.iso

Quote:
Download the .ISO and burn it (as an image, not as data) to a CD.
Boot to the CD. You will see "Press any key to rewrite MBR". Press a key and you will be instructed to "Press ENTER to reboot" so remove the CD and press ENTER. Your computer should boot to WinXP.

If you are not familiar with burning ISO files you can use the free ImgBurn.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Otherwise, you can burn the ISO from Nero using Recorder, Burn image.

The CD zeroes the DiskID and your OS will then boot. You don't have to use the CD each time. Once is enough.

However you can't resize the partition unless you have partitioning software so you may have to repeat the clone at a later time.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #14 - Aug 11th, 2007 at 9:31am

Ok. I did not use a brand new drive. I used a spare to test the product. Are you saying that because I formatted the disk before the copy wizard started, that my procedure created a partition that I didn't recognize? My memory is there were 2 lines in the receiving drive window, something like 19.8G and .2G for example. The small one I recognize from installations as for special operating system data. Is the larger one the partition that I accidentally created, which is therefore allocated space, which won't boot? If so, are both lines to be deleted or just the large one?
Also, if I had not formatted, there would certainly have at least 2 lines, which would have been the total space on the drive. Where in the wizard does it instruct me to delete these lines (partitions)or have a failed boot? This is particularly an issue since the manual says formating is unnecessary. I always use all the space on my drives as one letter, eg, C:, so there is no remaining space. If I am understanding you, this is a serious lack in instruction by the wizard process?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print