Send Topic Print
Ghost 12 problems (Read 71350 times)
rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Re: Ghost 12 problems
Reply #45 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 12:12pm

Ghost4me:
Thanks very much for your very helpful comments.
For those who are following this thread, a new development is:
I deleted the boot log line for both drives that refers to winxp/2003 and they boot normally. However, when I install them as master/slave to redo the copy, the slave drive no longer has a drive letter assigned; therefore, the drive is not visible in My computer. My previous retries to copy as master / have always shown C: for master and E: for slave. Yes, I can presumably assign a drive letter in disk management, but this is a new issue that I don't understand . Is the program  confused by multiple attempts to copy the same drive.?
What do you think?
To answer your question, I did not "use the XP Recovery Console to run commands such as fixboot, fixmbr, or bootcfg /rebuild" . Are you saying that the fix for this double boot os issue is to wipe the drive and recopy, or use a new drive?

Regarding wiping the drive, which I am willing to test, I have the fdisk cd, but don't know how to proceed to wipe the drive. Can you advise?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #46 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 1:20pm

A new blank unformatted disk will normally not have a drive letter.  That is what you want.

Rather than confuse everything with new options, I think you want to go back to the basics which Brian and others advised:

1. Remove your good (XP source) hard drive.
2. Put your target hard drive in as master/single.  Then boot the Win98 diskette and fdisk /mbr command.  This clears the DiskID signature.  Also use the fdisk command to delete any partitions that exist on that hard drive.  At this point it should be just like a new/blank/unformatted drive.  Shut down.
3. Put your good (source) drive back in as master, and the blank hard drive as slave.
4. Use Ghost 12 options from Chapter 11 (copy mbr, set drive active)

Brian, is this ok?  I want to be sure these instructions are consistent with yours.  I wasn't following all the previous thread comments.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #47 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 1:49pm

rleescott wrote on Aug 16th, 2007 at 12:12pm:
To answer your question, I did not "use the XP Recovery Console to run commands such as fixboot, fixmbr, or bootcfg /rebuild".

I have a suspicion now as how how you got the modified boot.ini lines:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP/2003"

Because you are using the Ghost 12 Copy Drive function from within XP, Ghost 12 sets up a "virtual boot partition" so that it reboots to copy the hard drive in an "offline" mode.

This is similar to what Ghost 2003 does, I believe, if started from within Windows.

My guess is that the cleanup didn't complete normally, so it left the 2nd boot option there.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #48 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 1:57pm

I'm sorry, but I don't underdstand your explanation. Don't we always start g12 from windows to make a copy drive? I did not interrupt the progress of the copy either.
Also, I will need more detailed instructions to wipe the drive if you still believe that will work.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #49 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 2:02pm

rleescott wrote on Aug 16th, 2007 at 1:57pm:
I'm sorry, but I don't underdstand your explanation. Don't we always start g12 from windows to make a copy drive? I did not interrupt the progress of the copy either.
Also, I will need more detailed instructions to wipe the drive if you still believe that will work.

I haven't done a copy-drive myself with Ghost 12 so I'm not certain if it does the entire copy from within XP, or does it restart your computer to do it?

Disregard my wipe-drive comments--you should be able to use the fdisk /mbr command that Brian explained.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #50 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 2:20pm

Brian, night owl, ghost 4me, and others:
As i understand the fdisk trick is a w98 disk that zero's the ID. I don't see how it can be used to wipe the drive. someone needs to tell me if drive wipe is the way to go here, and if so how to use the fdisk cd or other available software to do this.
By the way, g12 operates when windows is open, not after a reboot.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #51 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 2:33pm

rleescott wrote on Aug 16th, 2007 at 2:20pm:
As i understand the fdisk trick is a w98 disk that zero's the ID. I don't see how it can be used to wipe the drive. someone needs to tell me if drive wipe is the way to go here, and if so how to use the fdisk cd or other available software to do this.

Most drive-wipe utilities don't actually zero out the entire disk drive; they just zero out the first 100MB or so, which contains the ID and partition information.  So it looks then like an empty drive.

The windows 98 fdisk /mbr over-writes the DiskID, so, assuming there are no partitions on the drive, it will look like a blank never-used drive to XP.

Thanks for the information about how the Ghost 12 Copy Disk works--all from within XP.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #52 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 3:57pm

rleescott,

Just so we agree on terminology. When you say formatting, I think you mean partitioning. You can't format unallocated space. You can only format a partition. In addition, a partition can be formatted or unformatted. A partition can have a drive letter or no drive letter. You can have a partition that is unformatted but has a drive letter.

When the Ghost 12 Copy my Hard Drive has completed the cloning, the OS partition on the second HD is not seen in Windows Explorer because it has no drive letter. This is expected. What wasn't expected was the two OS entries in the boot.ini of both OS. Symantec probably sees it as a feature although we see it as a bug. It's no big deal as it can be fixed in 5 seconds and it does no damage to the OS.

I see no need to change my instructions for Copy my Hard Drive. They still apply.

Keep your tests going. We learn by these.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #53 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 5:01pm

Ok, the terminology is confusing, so I will explain. When I started the first copy drive experiment, I took an old used drive with data on it, possibly an os like w2000. I right clicked on the drive letter and selected "format". So I formatted, apparently a partition, and since I only had a C: partion I formatted the whole drive. Is this correct terminology?

For all copies after the first, I shut down after copy was complete, removed the original and booted with the copy. It was recognized as C: when I could finally get a boot.
I did the same for the original, which also was called C: I then installed master/slave and the original was C: and the slave(copy) was E: Until this last time when I performed the same maneuvers and master was C: and slave was not labeled. I had to label it E: thru disk management. This is different than the other times because I never had to assign a drive letter before. I believe you have misundersxtood what I meant to convey. I was not looking for the slave letter at the completion of the copy before shutting down, I never check that and wouldn't expect a drive  letter then. I only mentioned it to be complete in case it provided an explanation for the program bug.

I still want to try to copy to a wiped disk if that will give the desired result. Am I correct that I can't do this with the fdisk cd? If so, how is it done?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #54 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 5:32pm

Quote:
So I formatted, apparently a partition, and since I only had a C: partion I formatted the whole drive. Is this correct terminology?

OK. I'm with you now. You formatted the only partition on the HD. It wasn't the C: drive. It would have had another drive letter but that letter doesn't matter.

Quote:
For all copies after the first, I shut down after copy was complete, removed the original and booted with the copy. It was recognized as C: when I could finally get a boot.

That's fine.

Quote:
I had to label it E: thru disk management. This is different than the other times because I never had to assign a drive letter before.

Not too sure why you had to assign a drive letter. When you clone with two HDs in the computer there should only be one drive letter. C: drive.

Quote:
I still want to try to copy to a wiped disk if that will give the desired result.

I doubt it. We both get the same result.

Quote:
If so, how is it done?

Download CopyWipe for DOS  from
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe.php#download

Unzip the file, double click makedisk.exe, don't tick anything, select ISO file as the target. Save it to your desktop and burn the ISO to a CD as you did before. Only have your new HD in the computer (as master). Boot to the CD, run through a few menus and choose Quick- One Pass. There are good instructions in the pdf.

You might like to try the Copy a Hard Drive function in CopyWipe at a later time. It works well.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #55 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 8:42am

Brian:
I doubt it. We both get the same result.

Are you saying that when you confirmed the dual boot os issue that I experienced, you used a wiped drive as the slave to copy to? If so, then the rest of the tests I have planned are unnecessary.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #56 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 1:20pm

rleescott,

Quote:
Are you saying that when you confirmed the dual boot os issue that I experienced,

Yes. Reply #38.

Quote:
you used a wiped drive as the slave to copy to?

No. But I don't think it will make any difference.

Although the altered boot.ini is annoying, it doesn't do any damage. Just edit the boot.ini and all will be OK. I'm not concerned.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #57 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 1:46pm

I'm going to do a few more tests and will report back. Here's why, and if I'm mistaken please tell me.
If a wiped drive is the same as a brand new, never used drive, then the copy function doesn't work properly for any type of slave, used or new. Futhermore, if it just affected the copy .ini file, I would agree. But it alters the master  .ini as well. If I can't trust this program to avoid even the slightest change to the master, then how can i trust that other features are not flawed towards affecting the master as well? If I were consumer reports I would say a clone program that changes the original is unacceptable, but that's just me.

Also, remember when I made the 1st copy into allocated space, before I knew anything about how to use G12. That copy, when it was fdisked to boot, did NOT alter the .ini file on either original or copy. That means that it is not a given that the .ini file has to be affected, so further evaluation may clarify.

Thanks for the copywipe info. I will try it  for wipe as I pursue this project. I will also try the copy portion eventually.

Do you have any experience with acronis true image? Is there a forum for it?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #58 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 2:05pm

Quote:
I would say a clone program that changes the original is unacceptable, but that's just me.

I don't like it either but I don't think it does any damage. It seems like an attempt by Symantec to help setup a dual boot menu. Whether you want it or not.

Quote:
Also, remember when I made the 1st copy into allocated space, before I knew anything about how to use G12. That copy, when it was fdisked to boot, did NOT alter the .ini file on either original or copy. That means that it is not a given that the .ini file has to be affected, so further evaluation may clarify.

I think you mean "into a partition" rather than "into unallocated space" and it's a good point.

Quote:
Do you have any experience with acronis true image? Is there a forum for it?

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1183435692/

One of Acronis TI's faults is that it can delete the original OS. But this is usually operator error.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #59 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 2:35pm

yes, I meant allocated space. Have a good weekend.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print