Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decompression 10 Error / Thank You Nightowl (Read 8927 times)
Lee B
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Hatboro, PA 19040

Decompression 10 Error / Thank You Nightowl
Aug 4th, 2007 at 8:22pm

First, thank you Nightowl!

I was having problems Ghosting the hard drive on a new Dell Inspiron 1501 I was working on.  After about 1.5 hours of research online I figured out that the problem was the hidden partitions on the hard drive were interfereing with the virtual partition used by the Windows based version of Ghost 2003.  I had a lot of fun following your method for creating a bootable Ghost CD-ROM.

Using that CD-ROM, I had no problems Ghosting the Inspiron 1501 and a Dell Precision 360.  I made DVD image of the Precision 360 and a new hard drive for it, and when I restored the 1501 image to the D drive of my desktop the image restore seemed to run fine and I was able to access all of the files that are on the 1501, but on my desktop.

The problem happened when I tried to Ghost the new Dell Vostro 1000 i'm working on now.  When I tried to restore the DVD image to the D partition on my desktop as I did with the 1501 successfully, I get a "Decompression 10" error and the restore fails.

I'm using "Fast" compression.

Should I try again using no compression, or can anyone tell me why this failure occurred?

Also, can anyone say if Ghost 9 or 10 work inside Windows like Acronis True Image 10 does, and if Ghost 9 or 10 or Acronis True Image 10 are preferred by any of you?  I'd like to know more about 9, 10, or Acronis.  I'm using Ghost 2003 right now.

Thank you for any and all help!

Lee B.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Decompression 10 Error / Thank You Nightowl
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 10:06pm

Lee B wrote on Aug 4th, 2007 at 8:22pm:
Also, can anyone say if Ghost 9 or 10 work inside Windows like Acronis True Image 10 does,

lee_leses,

Yes. These Ghosts (Ghost 12 too) do hot imaging.

Quote:
I'd like to know more about 9, 10, or Acronis.

The TI forum is http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

But see http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1183435692

IP Logged

Lee B
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Hatboro, PA 19040

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 10:45pm

Thank you for the helpful information Brian! 

I did not like what I read about TI in your post!

If I must get a newer "HOT" version of Ghost I will look at 9, 10, or 12.

Is there an 11?

I would still like to know if anyone can tell me what causes a decompression error 10.

I don't ghost very often, so if I can work with 2003 in DOS successfully that would be fine for my current needs, unless later versions of Ghost would save me a lot of time.  Time is worth money...

REGARDS,

Lee B.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 11:44pm

Lee B wrote on Aug 4th, 2007 at 10:45pm:
Is there an 11?

11 is the upgraded version of 8. Makes sense, doesn't it.

I understand this is Ghost 11.

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/products/overview.jsp?pcid=1025&pvid=865_1

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 9:38am

lee_leses

Quote:
First, thank you Nightowl!

You're very welcome!

Quote:
I had a lot of fun following your method for creating a bootable Ghost CD-ROM.

*Tongue-in-cheek*, or really  Wink ?!

Quote:
When I tried to restore the DVD image to the D partition on my desktop as I did with the 1501 successfully, I get a "Decompression 10" error and the restore fails.

DOS Ghost can give mis-leading error messages when a problem occurs--Ghost knows a problem has taken place, but the error message can be *off the mark* quite often. 

Have you run an *Integrity* check on that DVD image set?--optical images are much more prone to corruption issues.  

Have you tried creating and saving the image to another HDD partition (internal or external) and testing the restore to D:\ to see if the problem occurs when using a HDD image source rather than from the optical media?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Lee B
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Hatboro, PA 19040

Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 4:10pm

Hi Nightowl!

I was serious.  It was about 2 hours work I think from start to finish, but it solved my problem at the time and I thought at the time most of my problems with using windows based ghost 2003.  I *thought* using DOS ghost with mouse support was going to be pretty easy.

The error messages being off target sounds a lot like the error messages when you're trying to work on a GM car computer.

Thanks for the thoughts on optical media.  I figured if it didn't work, it wouldn't do much good to do an integrity check that was going to tell me it was not a good image anyway.  I'll try it just to try it, I never ran an integrity check before.  Does it take less, more, or the same time as it does to ghost a hard drive to dvd's which is taking 2-3 hours for me on this laptop?

I can do an image to another partition on the hard drive.  Advantage, much faster, disadvantage I have to create a D partition to do that and I didn't want to, and the image created will not fit onto 1 dvd.  I forget, is there a way to split an image file into smaller chunks using ghost explorer, and if so does that approach (imageing to D, checking the image for integrity, then splitting the image and moving it to dvd's) work better sometimes?

At any rate, thanks much for the forum and the help!

Lee B.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 12:52am

lee_leses

Quote:
I figured if it didn't work, it wouldn't do much good to do an integrity check that was going to tell me it was not a good image anyway.  I'll try it just to try it, I never ran an integrity check before.

I always do--that way I know the image should work when the *sh-t hits the fan* and I really need that backup image to work!

Quote:
Does it take less, more, or the same time as it does to ghost a hard drive to dvd's which is taking 2-3 hours for me on this laptop?

On my system--it's about twice as fast as the image creation process!

Quote:
I forget, is there a way to split an image file into smaller chunks using ghost explorer

Yes--first you open Ghost Explorer, then menu item *View*--select *Options*.  There you can specify the size of the image files--must be 2024 MB or less (DOS size limitation)--so choose a size that will fill a DVD--see here for a discussion of the size for a DVD:  CD/DVD Write Option Unavailable--1494 MB seems to be about the right size.

Then you go to the *File* menu item and choose *Compile...*--select a new name (and location if desired) for the newly split file, and then click *Save* to begin the process.

Or, you can start Ghost with the *-split* switch, and have Ghost *automatically* create image file sizes that will fit and fill a standard DVD optical disc from the beginning:  ghost.exe -split=1494

Quote:
if so does that approach (imageing to D, checking the image for integrity, then splitting the image and moving it to dvd's) work better sometimes?

Well, usually it's faster than saving directly to DVD through Ghost--saving direct to optical media directly using Ghost is the slowest Ghost procedure!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Lee B
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Hatboro, PA 19040

Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 11:20pm

Nightowl:

For me, learning by doing is the best way.  I'm trying to learn, but it's somewhat tough stuff!

I did an integrity scan on on DVD that failed to restore on the D partition of my home computer.  As expected, it failed.  I messed up copying the log file to anywhere, so I don't have that information.  Would the log file help to explain the failure?  I know it said it could not read one of the files off the DVD.

Then I created a D partition on the laptop and successfully copied an image of C to D.  (See my question about interpreting a drop down box in DOS on the forum if you have time.)

Ghost automatically split the image into four segments, each about 2GB.  I opened the image in ghost explorer successfully, and I also ran an integrity check of the image that passed.

Then I loaded the image onto explorer, and compiled the image into segments each 1494 in size.  In a few minutes after I finish burning a DVD movie for someone, i'm going to check the integrity of the image that's re-compiled into 1494 size chunks.

Okay, that passed too with the smaller chunks.

Can you tell me why ghost split into chunks of 2048 onto the D drive unless you choose another size, and why 1494 is a better size for DVD's?  Keep in mind I have an image here for the Inspiron 1501 that ghost burned in 1GB chunks directly to two DVD's and that image seems to restore fine.

Also, on the options menu, what happens with "auto name spans" checked versus what happens if you un-check and don't autoname the spans?  One question is if you manually rename the spans does that mess up the restore process or integrity checks?

I'm sure i'll have more questions, but at least so far I seem to be working with a viable image.  Obviously a lot faster too going on the hard drive and not DVD's yet.

Thank You,

Lee B.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 1:31am

lee_leses

Quote:
Can you tell me why ghost split into chunks of 2048 onto the D drive unless you choose another size, and why 1494 is a better size for DVD's?

The 2048 size is a DOS max file size limitation--Ghost tries to create the maximum size file it can to keep the number of spanned segments to a minimum.

The 1494 MB size creates a file size that will allow three of those files to be burned to DVD and use up essentially the whole DVD disc space--if all your files were 2048 MB--then you could fit two on the DVD, but there would be a large unused space that would not hold another 2048 file size!  When Ghost is writing the images to the optical media directly, it creates the two 2048 files + creates whatever size file will fill the remainder of the DVD--if you are burning the files to DVD manually on your own--then you have to calculate the needed file size to maximize what you can fit on the optical disc.

Quote:
Also, on the options menu, what happens with "auto name spans" checked versus what happens if you un-check and don't autoname the spans?

Ghost stops and asks you for the name you wish to *manually* create for the next span in the image file set!

Quote:
One question is if you manually rename the spans does that mess up the restore process or integrity checks?

Probably Ghost will stop after each segment, and ask for the name of the next spanned segment before continuing!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print