Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Precision 360 SCSI to P360 IDE ??? (Read 4440 times)
Lee B
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Hatboro, PA 19040

Precision 360 SCSI to P360 IDE ???
Aug 4th, 2007 at 8:27pm

Hello:

I made an image for the Dell Precision 360 i'm using.  The P360 i'm using is using a SCSI hard drive and SCSI PCI card.  I know nothing about how SCSI works, except I see the computer takes longer to start while it loads SCSI drivers or something.

My question is, if I restore the image from this machine to a P360 that is virtually identical except that it uses an IDE hard drive and no SCSI PCI card, will it start and run or will there by a conflict because the image was originally set up to run with SCSI?

Thank you for any and all help!

Lee B.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Precision 360 SCSI to P360 IDE ???
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 12:30am

Lee B wrote on Aug 4th, 2007 at 8:27pm:
"... My question is, if I restore the image from this machine to a P360 that is virtually identical except that it uses an IDE hard drive and no SCSI PCI card, will it start and run or will there by a conflict because the image was originally set up to run with SCSI?..."

Not sure about the applicability of my own experience, but I did a Norton Ghost 2003 "(whole)disk-to-image" Backup of a 60GB Maxtor IDE MASTER HDD on my Dell Dimension 8100 and then performed a Ghost Restore with no problem to a 120GB Maxtor SATA 150 HDD which became the replacement MASTER HDD via a PCI-to-SATA adapter card.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 9:15am

Lee B wrote on Aug 4th, 2007 at 8:27pm:
Hello:

I made an image for the Dell Precision 360 i'm using.  The P360 i'm using is using a SCSI hard drive and SCSI PCI card.  I know nothing about how SCSI works, except I see the computer takes longer to start while it loads SCSI drivers or something.

My question is, if I restore the image from this machine to a P360 that is virtually identical except that it uses an IDE hard drive and no SCSI PCI card, will it start and run or will there by a conflict because the image was originally set up to run with SCSI?

I recently moved an image from one drive to a new drive and ran into a problem. Windows 2000 while booting came up with a message that it could not find the page file and would not let me go forward. I had to boot from a w98 floppy and run fdisk /mbr which fixed the problem. If you do run into this problem, you know the solution!!!

Rama  Grin

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 10:19am

lee_leses

Quote:

What version of Windows are you running?

Whenever you restore an image to another system, there are a multitude of *unknowns*--the concept of *virtually identical* often depends on how Windows *sees* the hardware as recorded in its registry--different HDD controllers have to be *registered* (in the registry) so Windows *knows* how to communicate through that controller with the HDD--EIDE and SCSI are different technologies--yes, they allow you to hook up a HDD to them--but, how they interact with the OS and the HDD is different!

Some posters on the forum here have had to do a WinXP *repair install* in order to get a restored WinXP OS image onto a different system up and running--others have be unsuccessful--so only trying will answer the question(s)!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Lee B
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Hatboro, PA 19040

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 4:32pm

Thank you!

I'd love to know how it came to pass that you learned so much about Ghost!

REGARDS,

Lee B.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 4:54pm

Lee B wrote on Aug 5th, 2007 at 4:32pm:
I'd love to know how it came to pass that you learned so much about Ghost!

We've made every mistake that can be made.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print