Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lost everything? 2003 Image Corrupt (Read 7101 times)
cwatters
N00b

I Love Radified!

Columbus OH

Lost everything? 2003 Image Corrupt
Aug 5th, 2007 at 11:24am

Was having some issues with a SAN system, the vendor suggested a Windows reinstall (XPsp2), so before doing so, I used Ghost 2003 to image the drive before starting the reinstall (trying non-destructive).  

27 files written to the other hard drive (reserved for backup space), 26 at 2+gb and the last a lot smaller, but within the expectations of backing up 54+ gb.

The reinstall actually pooched the configuration (would not boot), so I pulled out my handy ghost boot disk, and attempted a restore.

At 57% I get a 25002 error, MFT corruption.   Undecided
PANIC!  FEAR!  DESTRUCTION OF PROPERTY!

Used Ghost 2003 and Ghost 8.0 (borrowed) and the image files test clean.
Ghost Extract gives me corrupt error at 38%

Tried extract with -corrupt and still see the error
Tried extract with -ignoreindex - corrupt and after a couple of hours I get the error
Copied (dos with /V) the image files to a different drive (external USB), image tests clean but problem persists.

Cry

I am hoping if I can round up a copy of 8.2 that I can use the -NTEXACT switch and maybe the the image restored so I can at least recover documents.  The version of 8.0 I've borrowed doesn't have that switch.

I'll install everything else if I have to, but there are files I can't easily rebuild buried in that ghost.  Thankfully not my 11 GB of photos, or my email archive.

Any pointer or clues I'm missing?  I've been reading forums and tech support sites for the last 3 days.  I can get SOME files using Ghost Extract, but not the important ones.

Does Norton SystemWorks Premier 7.0 include Ghost 8.2?  I'd hate to throw $100 into a package which won't help. Shocked

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Lost everything? 2003 Image Corrupt
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 12:20pm

cwatters

Quote:
27 files written to the other hard drive (reserved for backup space), 26 at 2+gb and the last a lot smaller, but within the expectations of backing up 54+ gb.

That's a very large image file set--are you restoring it to a sufficiently large HDD?  Have you tried restoring to a slave HDD of sufficient size rather than the original HDD?

Quote:
Used Ghost 2003 and Ghost 8.0 (borrowed) and the image files test clean.

I presume you mean the *Integrity* check passes!  That suggests that the image is okay!

Quote:
Ghost Extract

I'm not familiar with that term--are you referring to *Ghost Explorer* and attempting to use its file extraction feature?  Ghost Explorer has been reported any number of times on this forum as being less than *robust* when it comes to extracting especially large files--like multi-media type files--success is sometimes had if the Ghost image is restored to another HDD, and then the files transferred off that HDD being used to hold the restored image long enough to copy those files.

Quote:
Ghost Extract gives me corrupt error at 38%

I can get SOME files using Ghost Extract, but not the important ones.

Hmmm...not familiar with this either--either you can mount a Ghost image in Ghost Explorer--or you can't!  Please explain what you are doing and what's different about the two above statements!

Quote:
The reinstall actually pooched the configuration (would not boot),

Boot problems can sometime be resolved without resorting to a restore--but some troubleshooting has to be done to see why one can not boot!  But, it looks like we're past that point...

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

cwatters
N00b

I Love Radified!

Columbus OH

Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 2:44pm

The bad part is I used to do this all the time at work as a PC tech.  That is why I went this route.

I was restoring instead of troubleshooting the boot issue because a restore should have taken 20 minutes and let me try the rebuild another day.  SO much for THAT idea.

The original drive is an 80gb PATA unit, and I was trying to restore back to it, when that failed I turned to a 500gb External USB unit I have, I've tried restoring multiple times using 2003 or 8.0 to either drive.  I can tell you that going from USB with 8.0 is a lot faster than 2003.

I did the INTEGRITY check before trying the windows reinstall, which tested fine, and after the failure, and it still checked fine.  So I'm pretty sure the archive is ok.

I meant GHost Explorer.  On the version I've been using (the 8.0 version) I can watch the load status in the status bar at the bottom of the screen.  After the first attempt gave me a corruption dialog (I wasn't watching it directly, I was on the internet desperately trying to find a solution - and found this resource), I restarted it and watched it closely.  At "LOADING 38%" in the status bar the Explorer will pop up a "corrupt" error: 

"Corruption in image file, or media not present.  Not all files are shown"

This is the same with or without the -CORRUPT command line option.  It does a partial mount, I can see some of the files.  So I tried -IGNOREINDEX, and then both options.  Other than -ignoreindex caused the time to the error to take something like 2 hours, it is the same.

I noticed a change in the sound of the HD containing the image files about the time the error occurs (quiet click, like a reseek), so I formatted the 500gb USB drive (since it had a failed restore on it) and copied the image files over there from a command window using /V to verify the copy, verified the *integrity* of the archive with Ghost 8.0 and tried again restoring (worth a shot) and exploring from the USB drive, with the same result.

One one of the symantec commercial support forums I found mention of possibly using the -ntexact command line option to workaround 25002 errors.  The vesion of 8.0 I borrowed is too old to have that option, so I was thinking about somehow purchasing 8.2 *if* that will do the trick.

I do have access to a large (250GB) drive from another machine.  I can slave it and try to restore there, or I can pull the 80gb and replace it with this drive.

The PC had an 80gb drive (C) with all of the lost files.  The other drive was also an 80, instead of mirroring I was using it to keep ghost images (every month) and backing up my emails as a simple file copy every night.  Should've mirrored and taken the performance hit.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 12:12am

cwatters

Looks like you tried the recommendations for Ghost Explorer switches as seen here:

How to handle a corrupted image file

Quote:
Recovering important files

If there are files in the image that you must recover, try opening the image file with Ghost Explorer to extract the files needed.

If you cannot extract the files, run Ghost Explorer from the command line with the
switches -IGNOREINDEX and -CORRUPT.

Using -IGNOREINDEX

Ghost includes an index file within each image file, and uses the index to find the other files that are in the image file. The -IGNOREINDEX switch opens Ghost Explorer and tells Ghost Explorer to find the files by reading directly from the image file, rather than from the index file.

To use the switch, run GhostExp.exe from a DOS command line:

"D:\Program Files\Symantec\Ghost\Ghostexp.exe" -ignoreindex

You may need to change the path to match the path on your computer.

Using -CORRUPT

When Ghost Explorer encounters file corruption in an image file, it normally reports an error and stops. When you use the -corrupt switch, Ghost Explorer ignores the corrupt area of the file and attempts to find the next file in the image.

To use the switch, run GhostExp.exe from a DOS command line:

"D:\Program Files\Symantec\Ghost\Ghostexp.exe" -corrupt

How about this:

Quote:
Recovering overwritten drives

See the document Recovering a drive after writing over it with Ghost.

But, it doesn't look *good*!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

cwatters
N00b

I Love Radified!

Columbus OH

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 10:04am

Unfortunately since it got to about 57% on the restore, I have little chance of recovering any of the files which were originally on the drive.

I will try again with Ghost 8.2 this evening. 

If that does not work, I've extracted what I can from Ghost Explorer (I will see if this version works better), and will have to chalk up the inaccessible files as *lost*, and stop trying to restore it and move on.  In that case I guess I will be doing a complete reinstall.  What a pain.

Then I think it's off to Microcenter for another 80gb drive, to CLONE instead of making image files, which ever way it goes. 

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 5:38pm

Cwatters, this may be a case where purchasing a paid telephone support consultation (US$29?) with Symantec is advisable.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

cwatters
N00b

I Love Radified!

Columbus OH

Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 10:54pm

Grin

Ok, here's the good news.  Ghost 8.3.0.1331 restored the image file from the source on the USB external drive in around 30 minutes.  And there was much rejoicing!  The machine booted right back to exactly where it was when I backed it up in the first place, which is the point of ghosting for me anyhow!

I didn't even have to try the -ntexact switch.

As soon as NDD finshes and gives me the all-clear, I'm going to shut the thing down, go get a drive to use as a real clone, and clone the thing and NOT just image it.  I have a removable drive bay, and that clone will get pulled and stored in a fire-safe.

Thanks to you all for having the forum, and having all of these resources where they can be read!

Now I have to find where I can obtain a copy of 8.3.  Me Like! Cool

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 11:41pm

cwatters wrote on Aug 6th, 2007 at 10:54pm:
Now I have to find where I can obtain a copy of 8.3.

I don't know if you can purchase a copy of 8.3. if not, your option would be to purchase GSS2.0.1 which has 11.0.1.1533, both DOS and Windows versions.

Rama

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 9:53am

cwatters

Good to hear you were successful!

Quote:
As soon as NDD finshes and gives me the all-clear, I'm going to shut the thing down, go get a drive to use as a real clone, and clone the thing and NOT just image it.

Most users of Ghost use image files for *backup* purposes--cloning disk-to-disk less often except when upgrading to a newer, larger HDD--image files can be moved via various methods, can be archived to optical media, and are compressed and take up less storage space, etc.

Your testing shows that images work on your system--but there was/is something else going on that is creating a *problem* during the restore to the destination HDD--probably a mis-match of data flow from one hardware device to another.  You could try other Ghost switches to alter the flow of data and how Ghost access the HDD controller such as *-fni*, etc.--see here:  Switches: Drive detection.

Quote:
I have a removable drive bay, and that clone will get pulled and stored in a fire-safe.

I would swap the newly cloned HDD for the original HDD, removing the original source HDD and placing it in the *fire-safe* and using the new HDD going forward--proves that the cloned HDD is functional and protects the original until the next *backup* cycle--yes, more work, but....just how I would do it to make sure the *clone* is a good usable backup!--and, I would also use images for safe keeping, as well!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print