Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Useing Ghost 12 or S&R without activation (Read 14286 times)
Dude

Germany

Useing Ghost 12 or S&R without activation
Aug 9th, 2007 at 3:47pm

Hi,

when I want to use the software I have to activate it via internet.
And if people don't have an internet access???

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Useing Ghost 12 or S&R without activation
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 8:25pm

Ghost 12 will operate for 30 days without activation.  Until it is activated according to the manual, you can't use:  copy drive, lights out restore, restore anyware, or convert to virtual disk.

To be honest however, it is hard to image a scenario where you would be using Ghost 12 and you didn't have access to the Internet.  Ghost 12 requires Windows XP or Windows Vista.  Neither of those will really function without being activated and updated with patches and service packs.  So if you never update your Windows pc's, then there's not much need for an image backup program in my opinion.  You can get by with something a lot cheaper if you are in an isolated part of the world and no Internet and no telephones or modems.

The next question might be, "What do you use your computers for if there is no access to the outside world?"

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 8:41pm

John. wrote on Aug 9th, 2007 at 8:25pm:
The next question might be, "What do you use your computers for if there is no access to the outside world?"

Heh. It happens more than you might think, actually.

Not so much for consumer software like "Norton Ghost 12", but classic Ghost in GSS has a significant number of customers whose entire networks are kept completely and permanently disconnected from the public internet. We have to design quite a few procedures for things like licensing and updating differently as a result.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 8:58pm

I agree about some internal corporate environments, especially private ones because of security which are totally isolated.  But in those cases, there is an IT department which handles (dictates) computer use, backup policies etc etc etc.

As you said, though, Ghost 12 isn't a enterprise product, so I can't quite place how Ghost 12 and/or a pc would be used without some outside connection.

IP Logged

Dude

Germany

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 8:21am

There is a life without internet - and it works  Wink
We have a lot of computers, never have been connected to the net - and they run perfect. Those PCs need no patches because there is no danger from outside.
When aktivation came up by windows OS, people have the choice to activate the product by internet or phone. But I think the symantec company can't think so far  Angry.
No wonder that more and more people use Acronis True Image  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 8:53am

Quote:
We have a lot of computers, never have been connected to the net - and they run perfect.

Ghost 12 is oriented for the *consumer--retail* user--you sound like a corporate user that needs a *site* license--apples and oranges!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 8:58am

In answer to your first question, you may be able to active over the phone.  I just haven't done it.

I found this webpage which explains how to contact Customer Service by phone, where you can ask them and maybe activate:

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/support/cs/contact_cs_nam.jsp

Please let us know if you are able to activate over the phone.

IP Logged

Dude

Germany

Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 9:49am

@NightOwl
No, I just wanted to underline that computers without internet-access are nothing special Wink
It depends on the area of responsibility...

@Ghost4me
Thanks. But I think there is just support for problems with internet-activation (if I read the assortment by symantec-page), no point for activation alternatives.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 9:57am

660207 wrote on Aug 10th, 2007 at 9:49am:
Thanks. But I think there is just support for problems with internet-activation (if I read the assortment by symantec-page), no point for activation alternatives.

I've used the customer support phone support before (just last week actually). It only took 5 minutes to get through.

So if you really want an answer to your question, yes or no, why not take 5 minutes and find out for sure?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 2:55pm

Please note that there is a difference between the term "activation" and "registration".  Activation installs a code (obtained via Internet or phone call) that ties  fingerprint of that specific computer to that license.  It is completely different from registration.

The reason software vendors have strict activation now, is to prevent someone from purchasing one copy of Ghost 12, and then attempting to activate it once, and then install that code on a lot of computers.  The activation code will only work on ONE computer.

Acronis True Image (which I have as well) also requires activation.  Not sure if they have phone activation or just Internet activation, as I activated over the Internet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print