Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 12 extremely slow over network (Read 19323 times)
Marmot
N00b

I Love Radified!

Washington

Ghost 12 extremely slow over network
Aug 13th, 2007 at 1:17pm

I have had no problems with Ghost 10 when I create an image onto a network server. I map a drive, point to the server and the specific folder, then bam, in 15 minutes there's an image of the computer on the server.

However, now that Ghost 12 is installed, this process takes a good hour just to do one computer. Also, if I decide to ghost four computers at once, say goodbye to the rest of the day.

I talked to the live help from Symantec, but he only gave me a couple of options: clear the temp folders and set the network throttling under the performance setting. None of this helped so I have decided to try my luck with some forums.

Any ideas?

-Taylor

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 12 extremely slow over network
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 8:38am

Have you tried creating your backup image to a local usb2 hard drive?  Just to verify it is the network.

Besides the network throttling, what is your Ghost 12 performance setting?  Tasks/Options/Performance.  My slider is all the way to FAST setting.

Another long shot idea:  Instead of creating a mapped drive using your pc: from the server create a shared folder (such as GhostBU) on the server with write options to Everyone.  Change your Ghost 12 backup definition settings to browse and point to the fully qualified name, not a drive letter.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Marmot
N00b

I Love Radified!

Washington

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 5:08pm

John. wrote on Aug 14th, 2007 at 8:38am:
Have you tried creating your backup image to a local usb2 hard drive?  Just to verify it is the network.

Yes. I created a backup on the computer itself and it only took about 6 minutes.

Besides the network throttling, what is your Ghost 12 performance setting?  Tasks/Options/Performance.  My slider is all the way to FAST setting.

Mine is set to FAST also.

Another long shot idea:  Instead of creating a mapped drive using your pc: from the server create a shared folder (such as GhostBU) on the server with write options to Everyone.  Change your Ghost 12 backup definition settings to browse and point to the fully qualified name, not a drive letter.

I'll try some things similar to this. Currently, when Ghost 12 is creating a backup to the server, the destination is showing up as \\servername\etc\etc and not the drive letter. I am actually thinking that this is the problem, but I have no idea how to fix it.

I am going to keep testing things when I find time. Thanks for the reply.
[color=#990000][/color]

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 6:23pm

Marmot wrote on Aug 14th, 2007 at 5:08pm:
I'll try some things similar to this. Currently, when Ghost 12 is creating a backup to the server, the destination is showing up as \\servername\etc\etc and not the drive letter. I am actually thinking that this is the problem, but I have no idea how to fix it.

Right Click on the backup definition, click edit settings.  When you get to the location for the backup file, browse over your network to the correct remote folder.

I'm really surprised that it was fast with Ghost 10 but not Ghost 12.  I suppose Ghost 12 could be initiating network traffic differently.

IP Logged

Marmot
N00b

I Love Radified!

Washington

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 5:36pm

I am still not sure what's up. Ghost 10.0 will create an image in 12-15 minutes over the network onto a server. Ghost 12.0 takes about 2 hours.

I have found that the path with Ghost 10.0 and 12.0 are the exact same. Symantec fixed a lot of the slow things in the recovery disk with 12.0, but they screwed something up with imaging over the network.

Cry x 10

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 6:47pm

Marmot,

I did a test for you. Ghost 12 created an image of the C: drive to a another partition on the same HD. Standard compression, no verify, Fast Performance. Image was 2.31 GB, time taken 5:45.

Same computer imaged over the network, 100 Mbps with crossover cable, to another desktop. Same settings. Time taken 5:10.

Network performance seems OK on my computers. I rarely do it this way so I don't have any clever answers.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 9:04pm

Marmot, given the results from Brian (thanks Brian...nice test), I would recommend the following:

Concentrate on verifying the network performance parameters of both pc's.  In particular make sure they are the same for some of the TCPIP values, especially TCP Receive Window (RWIN) and MTU.

There are several tools to verify and analyze these and optimize them.  Look on Google, but one I have used is SpeedGuide.net

http://www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php

IP Logged

Marmot
N00b

I Love Radified!

Washington

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 11:56am

Thanks for the test Brian. I can't seem to find a crossover cable and my tools to build a cable are MIA.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have replaced both of the switches at our workstations with Gigabit switches and am going to proceed with some of those network tests.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 12:05pm

Marmot wrote on Aug 30th, 2007 at 11:56am:
I have replaced both of the switches at our workstations with Gigabit switches and am going to proceed with some of those network tests.

Did you verify the RWIN size parameter of each computer?  What value are they?

Look for DrTCP in addition to other link to see it.

IP Logged

Marmot
N00b

I Love Radified!

Washington

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 12:38pm

Default TCP Receive Window (RWIN) = 65535

That is for the server. I will run the test on the production machines once I get more on the tables.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 12:49pm

Marmot wrote on Aug 30th, 2007 at 12:38pm:
Default TCP Receive Window (RWIN) = 65535  That is for the server. I will run the test on the production machines once I get more on the tables.

That one is not bad, but I would think for a server it could be bigger.  Another nice tool is from www.dslreports.com called Tweak Tester.  You may have to register on the website, but it is a great website with lots of great networking info and forums.

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

Run that on the server and client pc's to see what it says. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print