Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Issues when imaging to new primary drive (Read 9287 times)
lxb
N00b

I Love Radified!

Issues when imaging to new primary drive
Aug 14th, 2007 at 1:19am

I've read quite a few posts that touched on this, but I still have some concerns.  My question is, are there any issues or caveats when restoring a Ghost image from an external drive to a new primary hard drive that is quite different (not just in size) from the original primary drive?  If my hard drive ever kicks the bucket, I'd like to know how much flexibility I have in choosing a replacement.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Issues when imaging to new primary drive
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 4:55am

lxb,

I'm not sure what you mean by..

Quote:
new primary hard drive that is quite different (not just in size) from the original primary drive? 

If your old HD was IDE and the new HD was SATA that could be a problem if you didn't have SATA drivers installed in the OS of the IDE HD.

IP Logged

lxb
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 5:35am

Thanks Brian, that's exactly what I meant by "quite different".   I gather then, that if my current drive is IDE, I must replace it with an IDE drive in order for the restore to work correctly.  Are there any differences between IDE drivers that could cause a problem on the restore?  Also, what would I need to do to be able to restore to a SATA drive, or is that even an option?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 6:47am

As long as the new HD drive is the same size or larger, any brand should work. Slightly smaller may work depending on the data spread. See "Why won't 5GB of data clone to a 10GB partition?"

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#15

For a SATA HD....

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=294

IP Logged

lxb
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 11:55am

Thanks for the very helpful info.  I read the article about getting the SATA drivers loaded and realize that it would not work in a hard drive failure scenario.  The procedure requires a running IDE drive and a SATA drive, so I'd have to purchase a SATA drive beforehand, and install it while the system was still functional.

Well, at least I would have a choice between the latest and greatest IDE drives available at the time of the failure.

Thanks again Brian!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 12:43pm

lxb wrote on Aug 14th, 2007 at 11:55am:
Thanks for the very helpful info.  I read the article about getting the SATA drivers loaded and realize that it would not work in a hard drive failure scenario.  The procedure requires a running IDE drive and a SATA drive, so I'd have to purchase a SATA drive beforehand, and install it while the system was still functional.

Well, at least I would have a choice between the latest and greatest IDE drives available at the time of the failure.

Thanks again Brian!

Do you know if your current pc has SATA connectors?  Or just PATA (IDE) connectors?  If it doesn't have sata connectors, then you would have to purchase an ad-on PCI card that supports SATA and get that working. 

My opinion is that if you don't already have sata connectors on your motherboard, it is much simpler to just replace your ide hard drive with another ide hard drive.  And the chances for success are greater.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

lxb
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 1:34pm

Yes, good point.  My motherboard does not have a SATA controller, so I would have to install a PCI card as well.  I agree, changing to SATA in the case of a drive failure would seem to be more trouble than it's worth.  I'll just wait until I get a new PC to jump on the SATA bandwagon.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print