Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
nbree--Help with Ghost 8 and Server 03 (Read 5238 times)
lanwagon
Ex Member

nbree--Help with Ghost 8 and Server 03
Aug 14th, 2007 at 8:41am

Right now I have a Server 2003 machine running Virtual Server 2005. I imaged an old server (the same model as the new server with better drive spacing) with ghost 8 and now I need to restore that image to the Virtual machine I created in virtual server. I can boot into ghost and get it working, and I can even do a network image from a remote machine. The problem is I cant get it to transfer in a time less then 8 days (which it will time out any way). I was wondering if there is a way to make ghost see the images that are on the same physical computer as the virtual machine. Such as when you boot ghost you see your net use mapped drives, or A:. Is there are way for me to see drive X: (that is actually on the physical machine) inside of ghost to pull the image from? Thanks a lot, any help is appreciated.

IP Logged

gavinh
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Re: Help with Ghost 8 and Server 03
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 10:22am

Bit of a strange one,

Surely if you have the folder shared with windows file sharing you should be able to map to it,

ie;

net use n: \\server\images

You could try to put the image that you have succesfully taken onto an external usb drive and then boot up with that attached to the machine and then see if you can pull the image from that ?

Sorry I dont have much experience with Virtual server.

I am however running a VMserver
I just take Snapshots using VM Console and then move the files off that machine onto another for backup.
Take a little while seeing as they are about 10 Gig.

I seem to remember there also being some plugins for Bart PE with Virtual Server,
Might be worth taking a look at that.

Gav

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Help with Ghost 8 and Server 03
Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 10:24am

lanwagon

So....you have a *Virtual machine*, mounted inside a *virtual server* that is running under Win Server 2003!  Wow, that's getting buried pretty deep!

Unfortunately, not too many folks here have much experience with *virtual machines* (including me!).

Are you creating a *virtual DOS machine* and running the DOS version of Ghost 8 when you say:

Quote:
I can boot into ghost and get it working
?

You should be able to copy the Ghost image files to a location on the same physical machine, and the *virtual machine* should be supporting accessing the other HDD's on that physical system--I don't know exactly how that works--perhaps like networking of the various HDD's similar to finding other HDD's on systems on a physical network--is that the problem you are having!?

You may have to use Ghost32.exe on the source *virtual machine* to act as *master* to deliver the Ghost image to the destination *virtual machine* running Ghost as the *slave* to receive the Ghost image!?  

Or, perhaps you need to use Ghost Console on the source *virtual machine* to push the image to the destination *virtual machine*!?

Also, you might have better luck with Symantec's corporate Ghost forum here:  Symantec Ghost Solution Suite (GSS) support forum

Any help?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: nbree--Help with Ghost 8 and Server 03
Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 10:27am

lanwagon

I edited your thread title to try and attract *nbree*--he's a Ghost software engineer who may have some better thoughts on this!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 4:13pm

Heh, you got my attention. First thing I'll do is have a chat with some of our QA folks who have more experience with Virtual Server than I do (I personally use VMWare Workstation) and see what ideas they have and what performance they get from Ghost under Virtual Server.

That performance does seem excruciatingly poor; just to check, since you have 8.0 presumably you're doing a GhostCast rather than a peer-to-peer transfer? Virtual Server emulates something in the Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 line for virtual network hardware, from memory.

I'll get back to you once I know more.

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2007 at 12:20am

Seems my memory was wrong, they don't emulate any common network hardware but a very obscure and very old thing called a DEC 21140; our QA folks are looking at this right now with respect to Virtual Server's PXE ROM, since the driver in that seems to fail outright. Anyway, our QA guys don't have much to say about virtual server since they have been focusing on this PXE bug in it and trying to figure out a workaround.

Definitely the first thing to try since you have 8.0 (which has Ghost32) is to try and boot a WinPE2.0 CD in the Virtual Server guest VM, and use Ghost32. Given that it should have better drivers it would be good to compare performance and see if that helps - it's also pretty easy to map network drives in WinPE 2.0 (much easier than trying to do it from DOS) so the one boot ISO will work whether you use GhostCast or mapped network drives.

You can get WinPE2.0 from the WAIK - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c7d4bc6d-15f3-4284-9123...

I have asked our QA guys to try this too and see how it compares to DOS in Ghost but since they are kept pretty busy it may take awhile before I hear from them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print