Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
'Bare Metal' Security (Read 2996 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

'Bare Metal' Security
Aug 15th, 2007 at 9:55am

Quote:
Symantec and Intel have teamed up to develop security technologies that operate underneath an operating system.

Project Hood uses virtualisation technology developed by Intel to run security "appliances" directly on chips. The technology would allow security functions to operate below the level of Windows or other operating systems that a system is running.

"It runs underneath and alongside the operating system," Symantec vice president Rowan Trollope explained to Reuters.

The technology is initially targeted at the enterprise market, with both servers and desktop PCs in the frame. Modifying the technology for use on consumer PCs may come later.

Pushing security technology down onto the bare metal of chips is a wider industry trend. For example, Intel plans to incorporate Trusted Platform Module capabilities, which already ships as separate modules in some of its laptops, into its chipsets next year.

Project Hood is still at an early stage of development, so what functions might be delivered or how these might sit beside other efforts to make computers more secure is far from cut and dried.
Source:  Intel and Symantec team up on 'bare metal' security

This is another instance of a (positive) movement that is pushing security into the hardware layer.  For example, Seagate is building encryption into its hard disk drives - see Seagate First Hard Drive Maker to Win NIST Certification for Encrypting Hard Drive.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: 'Bare Metal' Security
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2007 at 4:18pm

Cool stuff.  I wonder if it has anything to do with Symantec's worry about market pressure from Microsoft's AV software, or if it is just the next evolution of security.

IP Logged

Oneder
Dude

[ch647]u[ch477]p[ch3
05]s[ch477][ch633]d [ch633]o[ch607]
ln[ch592]d uo[ch633]

Perth, West Oz

Re: 'Bare Metal' Security
Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2007 at 6:34pm

Project Hood sounds interesting.

A couple of free security apps that I use are Sandboxie and Returnil which are virtualisation type programs.

Been using these two apps for quite a while now with no realtime AV or AS and with ghost images as backups I feel quite secure.

I do run an online scan with Kaspersky or one of the others every couple of months with nothing ever been found.

ʇuǝpısǝɹd ɹoɟ lnɐd uoɹ

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print