Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
why fdisk 4 partitioning & other queries (Read 23727 times)
tomos
N00b

why fdisk 4 partitioning & other queries
Aug 18th, 2007 at 9:16am

hi all
I've been studying -
the Radified XP Installation guide &
the fdisk guide to partitioning
(it's all new to me - hence I use the word studying -
if I've missed something obvious, apologies!)

and I'm wondering -
  • why do both favour using fdisk as opposed to the XP boot cd for partitioning?
  • if i were to use the xp cd, can i make a fat32 partition with it?
  • if I make a small fat32 primary partition as my "C drive",
    and then use a logical partition "D Drive" for xp install, as recommended in the install guide & the "Partioning Strategies"

Quote:
    # 5-GB FAT32 primary partition. FAT32 is DOS-compatible. Never know when you might need to load some DOS disk utilities, or install a legacy version of Windows. Nice to have the capability, even if you never need to use it ... [C: drive]
    # 25-GB NTFS extended/logical for WinXP & all normal programs/apps [D: drive] You shouldn't need this much space, but better to have a little extra here. Don't install any multi-CD programs here, such as Encarta. Install them to your \Games directory.

will the windows use the C drive for boot ini files etc ?
    I believe it will -
    now I wonder could I also use this partition for the paging file?
    (or would there be any advantage to that - I thought as it's supposed to be the fastest partition & fat32 as well, it would be a good choice?)

thanks for any help  Smiley

BTW - lovely forum - very easy on the eyes!

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: why fdisk 4 partitioning & other queries
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 2:08am

You can do your partitioning with the WindowsXP install CD.  It can do both Fat32 and NTFS.  It does the job fine, it just doesn't have a lot of flexibility for partitioning.  It tries too hard to be helpful.  If I wasn't comfortable with Linux, I think that I would probably resort to partitioning with fdisk and then formating with the install CD.  That way I could get the partitions the way I wanted.

I think that WindowsXP usually puts the bootloader (that screen where you can boot into safe mode before Windows starts) on the first partition of the active hard drive by default.  It takes only a few KB of space.  You could still use that partition for your page file if you want.  I still set my disk up like that, but I'm not sure how much of an advantage I get out of it these days.  Hard drives are fast enough and memory is cheap enough that tweaking the page file just doesn't seem to give me any real performance boost.  It is a good way to keep your page file from fragmenting, though.

IP Logged

tomos
N00b

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 5:12am

MrMagoo wrote on Aug 19th, 2007 at 2:08am:
If I wasn't comfortable with Linux, I think that I would probably resort to partitioning with fdisk and then formating with the install CD.  That way I could get the partitions the way I wanted.

thnks MrMagoo  Smiley

will go ahead partition that way. (Small C, D for OS)

BTW. not having done this before I'm not comfortable with any of it !!!
So I'm wondering what you meant by "If I wasn't comfortable with Linux"
Is there another option there?
Someone gave me a tip for GParted - would that be a good option.
Or as I not familiar with Linux would it be best left alone?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 5:22am

tomos,

Just to throw a spanner in the works. I always install the OS to the C: drive. See this thread, especially Reply #11.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=Full_Rad_Board;action=display;nu...

IP Logged

tomos
N00b

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 6:17am

Brian wrote on Aug 19th, 2007 at 5:22am:
tomos,

Just to throw a spanner in the works. I always install the OS to the C: drive. See this thread, especially Reply #11

hmmm...
thanks Brian
maybe I should go the traditional route...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 6:48am

tomos wrote on Aug 19th, 2007 at 5:12am:
Someone gave me a tip for GParted - would that be a good option.

It's easy to use. You can't do any damage as you will be working on an empty HD.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=173828

I've used ver 0.3.4.7. Ver 0.3.4.8 wouldn't boot properly in my computer.

How large is your HD? Are you planning to have a second HD?

IP Logged

tomos
N00b

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 6:57am

I have two 320GB hdds. I got the computer built but had xp self & wanted to set up partitions self too.

Was thinking along the lines
HDD 1
C: OS (Primary active, 25GB)
D: App data - not sure how to yet but believe it's possible to seperate them. Maybe portable apps too (Size? maybe 10GB)
E: my docs
F: other stuff
HDD 2 (no primary partitions)
G: Paging file (FAT32)
H: Photos
I: other stuff
J:For OS.images - no idea how much space I might need ?
Havent used imaging software before (have a copy of Acronis7)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 7:19am

That looks fine. Maybe too many partitions but that's just my preference. Have a look at this. I think you will find it interesting. Separating OS from data is what you are planning.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#13

Which Acronis app do you have?

IP Logged

tomos
N00b

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 7:29am

Brian wrote on Aug 19th, 2007 at 7:19am:
That looks fine. Maybe too many partitions but that's just my preference. Have a look at this. I think you will find it interesting. Separating OS from data is what you are planning.

Which Acronis app do you have?

well when i think about it theres no realreason to seperate my
docs/other stuff on hdd 1
photos/other stuff on hdd 2

& I forgot I use photoshop, wanted to make a partition for scratch disc for it..

Have you used partedmagic fork from gparted?
http://partedmagic.com/index.html
it does drive imaging as well..

Ooops, that was Acronis True Image - forgot to say  Embarrassed Smiley
reading your link now

IP Logged

tomos
N00b

Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 7:54am

hmm...
thanks for all this help Brian, you're helping settle things down in my head -
you know how it is whenyou're trying to get you head around something new,
reading loads & often getting contradictory info - head starts to glow after a while  Smiley

Re backup (as opposed to imaging), I have Backup4all &
Super Flexible File Synchroniser (SFFS) so think I'm fairly well covered.

So, new partition plan:

HDD 1
C: OS (Primary active, 25GB)
D: my docs
E: other stuff/backups

F:  Paging file (FAT32, 5GB)
G: Photoshop Scratch Disk (have to read up on size but have the info)
H:  Photos/other stuff
I:  For OS.images (Sounds like amybe 20GB would suffice - I can back them up to DVD)
-
(may still seperate photos from other stuff - if only to make it easier to defrag)

is there an advantage to keeping your main "working" files on a separate disc to the
OS/programmes -
then things might work better/faster - programmes/OS can work away on one disc while file being saved to other...
just an idea, mightnt make a whole lot of diff

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 8:27am

tomos,

I haven't tried Parted Magic 1.8 but I'm downloading it now.

Quote:
may still seperate photos from other stuff - if only to make it easier to defrag)

Defrag is not an issue if you use PerfectDisk or Diskeeper. You can selectively defrag folders in a partition and exclude other folders. So you can lump "everything" in the one partition.

Quote:
is there an advantage to keeping your main "working" files on a separate disc to the
OS/programmes -

As Dan indicated in the link, I also install all programs to the C: drive. Except for large games, encyclopaedia's, etc. There is no advantage in installing ordinary apps to a different partition. It's a pain. Data goes to the D: drive.

I would combine H: and I: into a single partition. Others wouldn't. I'd also combine D: and E: to a single partition. Think about having another primary partition of around 5 GB after the C: drive. In case you want to install a basic second WinXP in the future for "testing". Also consider another partition for installing large apps such as the games I mentioned. This partition won't change much and only needs to be backed up occasionally. It can be a logical volume. Your C: and D: drive will be backed up frequently.

Quote:
Photoshop Scratch Disk (have to read up on size but have the info)

I used to have one but stopped because I couldn't notice a difference.

Just my opinion.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 8:51am

I just booted Parted Magic 1.8. I like it. It contains GParted 0.3.4 (no fourth number). Seems easier to use than my GParted CD.

IP Logged

tomos
N00b

Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 8:57am

so, Smiley we're looking like this:

HDD 1
C: OS/programmes (Primary active, 25GB)
D: Primary 5GB for possible xp install
E: for large apps (dont play games but have some very large maps of the world sort of things so good tip!)
F: my docs/other stuff/backups. SIZE: the rest

G:  Paging file (FAT32, 5GB)
H: Photoshop Scratch Disk (will stick with this if only cause otherwise it makes it in C drive)
I:  Photos/other stuff/backups
J:  For OS.images (20GB)

do you think the second partition for 2nd possible OS install
would have to be a primary partition -
is that easy to create more than one primary in GParted? -
in the RADIFIED tutorials it kept mentioning that you could make more than one
primary but didnt say how - will recheck, maybe they give a link I missed

Quote:
Quote:
is there an advantage to keeping your main "working" files on a separate disc to the OS/programmes -

As Dan indicated in the link, I also install all programs to the C: drive. Except for large
games, encyclopaedia's, etc. There is no advantage in installing ordinary apps to a different
partition. It's a pain. Data goes to the D: drive.

yes, no!!  Huh
I mean I understand about apps but was actually wondering about the files I would be working on -
would there be an advantage to keeping files - on which I would be currently working a lot - on the second disc/drive

P.S. might join i & J -
never like having those two letters near each other case of confusion  Smiley -
with defrag I'm never sure, I do like the idea of defragging a whole partition so everything can be organised in relation to each other but really dont think it's that important long as things arent disastrously fragmented.
Know also not supposed to defrag [OS]images...

IP Logged

tomos
N00b

Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 9:03am

Brian wrote on Aug 19th, 2007 at 8:51am:
I just booted Parted Magic 1.8. I like it. It contains GParted 0.3.4 (no fourth number). Seems easier to use than my GParted CD.

good stuff
I'll download that & have a look

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 9:15am

Quote:
do you think the second partition for 2nd possible OS install
would have to be a primary partition -
is that easy to create more than one primary in GParted? - 

It has to be a primary partition. Easy to create. Your E: and F: could be logical volumes in an extended partition.

All partitions on the second HD could be logical volumes in an extended partition.

If you aren't planning to use a special defragger I'd certainly keep your J: drive. Note that it doesn't have to be called J: as you can change the drive letter to another letter eg S: if you like. The size of J: depends on how much used space is in C: and E:  This is hard to tell at the moment. I'd start with 50 GB for the J: drive. You can change the size later if you like. Parted Magic can do this.

Quote:
I mean I understand about apps but was actually wondering about the files I would be working on - 
would there be an advantage to keeping files - on which I would be currently working a lot - on the second disc/drive

These files, your data as well as your photos should be in the F: drive. Your second HD is the backup HD. Images and data backups are stored here. So if your primary HD fails, everything can be recovered from the second HD. If the second HD fails it's no great loss. You just buy another one as you have only lost backups.

PS  If your primary HD fails you buy another one and restore your OS and data from the second HD.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print