Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recovering Hidden Partitions / Unused space - Ghost 2003 (Read 5565 times)
Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Recovering Hidden Partitions / Unused space - Ghost 2003
Aug 18th, 2007 at 11:07pm

Here is an interesting article---

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14597

Unused space on hard drives recovered?

Interesting results to date:

Western Digital 200GB SATA
Yield after recovery: 510GB of space

IBM Deskstar 80GB EIDE
Yield after recovery: 150GB of space

Maxtor 40GB EIDE
Yield after recovery: 80GB

Seagate 20GB EIDE
Yield after recovery: 30GB

Unknown laptop 80GB HDD
Yield: 120GB

Rama

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Recovering Hidden Partitions / Unused space - Ghost 2003
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 1:04am

Rama,

That's interesting. I assume these HDs contained large Host Protected Areas. These areas can be removed even from empty HDs to recover the full HD size. Tools that can be used are...

Hitachi Feature Tool
MHDD
HDAT2

Dell laptops formerly used a HPA of a few GB for MediaDirect2. Just removing the HPA wasn't enough. You had to zero LBA-3 as well, otherwise the HPA would be recreated at the next boot.

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 4:17am

Ugh, I remember when this came out. Be sure to check the follow-up letters, which explain (correctly) that the author of the article is just working with partitions that overlap each other and thus will eventually get corrupted.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 10:03am

On a related theme, the article Hard Disk Sector Structures explains that a disk sector "actually holds much more than 512 bytes of information.  Additional bytes are needed for control structures, information necessary to manage the drive, locate data and perform other functions."

What else do the forum members know about these "control structures"?  I have been unable to find any more details on the Seagate website or elsewhere.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 11:19am

Recently when I ran Gdisk, it recognized the hidden area in the disk called HPA. Then I used the freeware HPA.EXE to delete the HPA and recover the usable area. Then I reformatted the drive and everything worked ok. Gdisk is part of the Ghost suite.

Rama

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 4:32pm

Pleonasm wrote on Aug 19th, 2007 at 10:03am:
What else do the forum members know about these "control structures"?  I have been unable to find any more details on the Seagate website or elsewhere.

He's more talking there about the classic on-disk layout used by disk controllers in the MFM days, when the on-disk layout was pretty much a simple one-to-one mapping with what you told the controller and you needed to be reasonably aware of the sync/address/gap fields. Folks worrying about sector interleaves was another product of this era.

I don't think I still have any of my 1970's disk controller chip manuals to point you at (if I do, they are buried in the stacks) but they explained the low-level formatting process in some detail. By the time the PC arrived the disk controller chips had taken more of this process on themselves during low-level track formatting so you want to refer to hardware more primitive than that (or else look at the group-code recording used by the Apple ][ and Amiga, since it's roughly similar).

However, the sheer number of layers of interface abstraction present these days means that you really can't talk about those kinds of structures any more - to the extent they even still do exist, you can't get at them. And that's a good thing, mostly.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 7:22pm

Rama wrote on Aug 19th, 2007 at 11:19am:
Then I used the freeware HPA.EXE to delete the HPA and recover the usable area. Then I reformatted the drive and everything worked ok.

Rama, was this a Dell laptop with MediaDirect?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print