Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 12 - Please Help (Read 10576 times)
LilJames
Ex Member

Ghost 12 - Please Help
Aug 21st, 2007 at 4:00pm

Hi,

I've got the task of taking one computer and copying it exactly onto another (both with identical hardware). I purchased Norton Ghost 12 and a 500GB external USB harddrive yesterday, and this morning I used Ghost to create a backup of the computer's harddrive onto the external. However, I've been trying for most of the afternoon and evening to restore this onto another machine, and have come up against lots of problems. I'd really appreciate any help.

The computer I'm cloning onto has one hard drive in it (40GB for the 8GB image). The image seems to import fine (booted up the recovery CD, selected the 'My Computer' restore option, chose the correct source and destination locations) - the first time I did this, the drive was already partitioned. The computer then failed to boot.

After looking on these forums I discovered that it seems that the image has to be restored onto unallocated space - so I deleted the partition existing on the drive (I've checked this has been the case multiple times), and restored the image into the unallocated space. If I go into the Windows XP Recovery Console, and do a 'dir' on the drive, all the files seem to be there.

The only problem is the drive won't boot. I've tried 'fixmbr', 'fixboot', 'fixboot C:', and none of them work - I'm getting the computer to load up, find that there is in fact an operating system, and then try to boot into it. Unfortunately I just see a quick flash of the Windows XP boot screen followed by a quick flash of a blue screen with white text - but there's no way I can read what it says, as it disappears so quickly.

Many thanks, I'm at a bit of a loose end here. Any help is appreciated.

James.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Ghost 12 - Please Help
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 4:05pm

IP Logged

LilJames
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 4:09pm

In that case I created a Recovery Point and I'm now trying to restore the recovery point on to another drive? Sorry my terminology is wrong.

Unless you were linking to another post that I've completely missed the point of. :/

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 4:14pm

LilJames,

Ghost 12 is not designed for this job.  Migrating an OS from one computer to another, even though they are "identical". It doesn't have Restore Anyware that is present in its big brother, Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Desktop Edition.  I haven't used Sysprep but NightOwl has published many links on its use. Some of us have had success in doing a Repair Install on the new computer and getting it to boot.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

Good luck.

IP Logged

LilJames
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 4:18pm

So I actually need Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Desktop Edition instead? I guess I'll try to return Ghost and give that a shot instead.

Many thanks.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 4:31pm

I haven't used Restore AnyWare so I'd seek further advice but it claims to work. So for an extra $20 you may get a result.

http://www.symantec.com/en/uk/smb/products/overview.jsp?pcid=br&pvid=lsrdt30

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 4:57pm

I'd try a Repair Install first. It should work if your computers are "identical". You will know in 30 minutes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print