Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SCSI CD/DVD option: Include Adaptec ASPI drivers (Read 3878 times)
blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

SCSI CD/DVD option: Include Adaptec ASPI drivers
Aug 23rd, 2007 at 2:52am

Hello,
     On creating the Ghost 2003 boot floppy, we have the option: SCSI CD/DVD Include Adaptec ASPI drivers. I would like to know what "exactly" this means. I always tick this option as I thought that it puts on CD/DVD drivers and that these become necessary if I have to create an image to a CD/DVD directly in Ghost and the same for the cloning process from CDs/DVDs.

However, when booting my laptop with the above option selected I get some error messages but eventually Ghost blue screen gets loaded. The error messages concerned the ASPI drivers (and others I guess) are as follows in the order:

Host adapter at port address 340 failed diagnostics
Host adapter at port address 140 failed diagnostics

Unable to find any AIC-78XX/AIC-75XX

ASPI2DOS.SYS Installation failed

ASPI8DOS.SYS Installation failed

ASPI4DOS.SYS Installation failed

However, despite those above errors, I never failed to write an image directly to a DVD in Ghost and cloning back after making the (first) DVD bootable within Ghost itself. So if these above "ASPI" fail to load, then I assume that they are not needed for CD/DVDs as I always thought.

With Ghost 2002, I used to get lots of errors (on a different machine that I had earlier) before Ghost 2002 loads but I wasn't paying attention as a friend who introduced me to Ghost identified these errors (which I don't recall) as "non-real". So I was tuned to accept error messages before Ghost loads up as being "normal".

Coming to the point, my question is when does checking the option "SCSI CD/DVD Include ASPI drivers" when creating a Ghost boot floppy beacomes necessary?

PS: Talking about making a DVD bootable within Ghost just make me think of another somewhat silly question. Ghost asks you if you wish to make a DVD bootable and what I do is to just use my "Ghost boot floppy" itself and the files therein are copied to the DVD to make it bootable. Maybe a system disk created with Windows would work fine. I just would like to know if what I'm doing is good/recommended practice.

Thanks for your comments....

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Re: SCSI CD/DVD option: Include Adaptec ASPI drivers
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 4:39am

blackeagle wrote on Aug 23rd, 2007 at 2:52am:
when does checking the option "SCSI CD/DVD Include ASPI drivers" when creating a Ghost boot floppy beacomes necessary?

ASPI stands for Advance SCSI Programming Interface - it's necessary when your optical device uses a SCSI interface to connect to the PC - if you have a SCSI adapter, you'll generally know when this is necessary.

As CD-ROMs first started to become widespread, they were actually almost all SCSI devices (as were tape drives) - at the time most hard disks were of a type called MFM which was not a general-purpose connection. Later on electrical interfaces to hard-disks were redesigned (by an industry commitee under the name ATA, also known as IDE) to be much more like SCSI, and indeed the way CD-ROMs connected over the ATA interface just carried the SCSI command set (USB hard disks use the SCSI command set too).

Anyway, nowadays with SATA there is very little equipment using the SCSI electrical interface and cables left in consumer equipment (although there is still a fair amount of SCSI in server-grade equipment) so I doubt most people need this.

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 4:48am

Thanks for the prompt answer. So I'll unchecked this option and make a new Ghost boot floppy. I tried once and there was no error messages when Ghost boots up. I'll just try to write an image to a DVD in the future and see if everything works fine.

Maybe you missed my last paragraph (and it's not a related question to ASPI), but is creating a bootable DVD with the files from the Ghost boot floppy good practice? I do it this way because I know if I can boot to Ghost (2003) using the files on the Ghost floppy, then I shall be able to do the same if the same files are on the CD or a DVD containing a ghost image.

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 6:19am

blackeagle wrote on Aug 23rd, 2007 at 4:48am:
is creating a bootable DVD with the files from the Ghost boot floppy good practice?

Absolutely everything on a boot disk beside the essential OS files (MSDOS.SYS, IO.SYS and COMMAND.COM or their PC-DOS or FREEDOS equivalents) and Ghost.exe itself is there to deal with variation in hardware.

Since hardware - and the software the hardware manufacturers supply to access it - is so incredibly diverse, there isn't really a "best practice" as such. It's all relative to the hardware you want to use. For USB devices the guys here at Radified (me being a corporate shill, heh) have the best advice you can find.

For the post-2003 corporate versions of Ghost there are some best practices, but there too the most important best practice is about learning to wrangle third-party hardware - learning how modern Ethernet switches work and how to configure them.

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 6:37am

Thanks...

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1