Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Info requested - USB Question (Read 3255 times)
double0seven
Ex Member

Info requested - USB Question
Aug 24th, 2007 at 12:54am

Hi Everyone, Boy its been a while since coming here.  I see some new faces and some old.  Ghost has been good to me for the last few years so I've just been coasting. 

I have a question about usb.  I know how to make a bootable USB drive and run ghost form it but I want to also store images on the same drive.  Basically everything I need to store one image and have a bootable usb all in one.

It would greatly help me in my job.  I've been trying to figure out a way to do this for a few days now and I did a search here but didnt find much helpful info.

SOOOOO... if anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanks in advance...

Cool

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Info requested - USB Question
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 1:11am

double0seven

Quote:
I know how to make a bootable USB drive and run ghost form it but I want to also store images on the same drive.

I don't have a system that allows for a boot from a USB HDD--so I don't understand the problem!  

When you make an internal HDD a boot drive--you can still store data on it as well--how is a boot from a USB HDD different?  Why don't you have access to the rest of the HDD for data storage?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

double0seven
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 1:33am

thanks Nightowl for the response.

Well It's wierd, I have a USB drive that I can boot from and run ghost.exe.  It works great!  The wierd thing is that it wont allow me to see the images that I placed on the usb flash drive.

I view it in windows the image is there but if I view it in ghost I see nothing.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 9:28am

double0seven

Quote:
I have a USB drive that I can boot from and run ghost.exe.  It works great!  The wierd thing is that it wont allow me to see the images that I placed on the usb flash drive.

So, your USB drive is not a HDD--you are using a USB Flash Drive that you have altered by some technique that allows you to boot from it to DOS--and you have placed *ghost.exe* on the same flash drive--and you can access the flash drive and load Ghost just fine.

So, I assume the flash drive must be either FAT, or FAT 32, in order to boot to DOS and able to load Ghost.

And Ghost sees the flash drive as a destination for storing a Ghost image.  But after you create that Ghost image, you can not see the image?!!!!  So you can not do an Integrity check during that same session with Ghost to verify that the image is okay?!!!!  That is *weird* that you can create an image, but then not see it!!!!

Quote:
I view it in windows the image is there ...

Do you have Ghost 2003's Windows based *Ghost Explorer* installed?  Can you mount that image file and see its structure and files in Windows?

Quote:
...but if I view it in ghost I see nothing.

If you have booted to the DOS prompt, but have not loaded Ghost yet--typing *dir*--does it list the DOS Ghost image file in the DOS directory listing?

Again, I do not have the equipment to play around with bootable USB flash drives.  So, I'm trying to clarify the problem--and hoping someone who perhaps has some experience with them comes along here!  

But, I have used a USB flash drive using DOS USB drivers, loaded during boot by the boot files, that mount the flash drive and assign a drive letter to the flash drive--and have stored Ghost images on it, and been able to see that image for Integrity checks, and restores from DOS Ghost!

I'm using the DOS Panasonic USB drivers--A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!--is it your BIOS that is giving you DOS access to your bootable USB flash drive?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print