HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 Locks up (Read 5270 times)
stasca
Ex Member

Ghost 2003 Locks up
Aug 25th, 2007 at 7:38am

I just purchased a new dell server with two 250GB Sata drives..  After, installing XP Pro, (NTFS), Office 2003... and Ghost 2003, I ran Ghost while in Windows.  The machine rebooted, gave me the PC Dos 7.0 screen, started to show the Ghost program screen and then just froze.

I rebooted hoping to make the choice to go back to Windows without success.  Tried running Gdisk, or ghostreboot neither works.  Please advise....

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 2003 Locks up
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 8:47am

stasca

Quote:
a new dell server with two 250GB Sata drives..  

Well, sounds like you're *trapped* in the *virtual partition* that Ghost 2003 uses to work from Windows--seems to happen when there is some incompatibility between Ghost's process of creating the *virtual partition* environment and the hardware.

Quote:
The machine rebooted, gave me the PC Dos 7.0 screen, started to show the Ghost program screen and then just froze.

This suggests that there is a problem with Ghost's ability to work with the SATA HDD's--but, it sounds like the system booted to DOS successfully, and was loading Ghost successfully--so maybe a change in BIOS setting and/or a switch to load Ghost will solve that problem:

Re: Bootable cd without floppy

Quote:
Tried running Gdisk, or ghostreboot neither works.

What didn't *work*?  

*ghostreboot* is an *automated* program to delete the *virtual partition* and set active the original boot partition with your OS for booting.

*Gdisk* is Symantec's command line partitioning tool--you have to manually change your HDD's structure by entering command lines for each step you want to change.

Are you able to boot to DOS and access the SATA HDD's using DOS commands?

Resources regarding *virtual partition*:  

How to use GhReboot

Cannot start Windows after starting a Ghost 2003 task from Windows

How to restart the computer into Windows if a problem is encountered after running Ghost 2003

If the *automated GhReboot* does not work, check this thread on how to use the Symantec Ghost DOS command line partitioning program, *gdisk*, as to how to manually change the active partition back to your original partition:

Ghost 2003 -operating system not found

Other partitioning tools (such as PartitionMagic, or this free tool MBRWizard - The MBR utility you've been looking for!) that can change partitions from active to inactive, and can hide and unhide partitions--as well as delete partitions from the Master Partition Table--can also be used to manually reset the correct active OS partition for booting!

Symantec FAQ's:  

Switches: GDisk

Switches: GDisk and GDisk32 for Norton Ghost 2003

Introduction to GDisk

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

stasca
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 9:02am

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.  I will follow your links and suggestions.  Actually, I've started a new installation of XP and will reload all our programs.  Not really a big deal at this point.  However, I still want to use Ghost for back up purposes

Would you suggest I use a newer version of Ghost, rather then this 2003 version?

Thanks again

Scott Tasca

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 9:23am

stasca

Many folks can avoid the problem of the *virtual partition* by booting to DOS *manually* rather than using the Windows Ghost interface--by booting to DOS directly, Ghost does not use the *virtual partition*!

Quote:
Would you suggest I use a newer version of Ghost, rather then this 2003 version?

Depends on what *features* you want, and what works or does not work for you!

The current retail versions of Ghost are no longer based on the *original* DOS Ghost, but rather on the Windows based *drive image* program acquired by Symantec.  

The corporate version of Ghost--Ghost Solution Suite--is still based on the DOS Ghost program--has greater *command line switches* capabilities for controlling how the program behaves--but requires a 5 license minimum--so more expensive than the single retail license.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print