HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spybot 1.5 Released (Read 6518 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Spybot 1.5 Released
Sep 4th, 2007 at 3:01pm

A new version of Spybot - Search & Destroy has been released.

While Spybot holds a valued position in the history of anti-malware utilities, it will be interesting to see if any of that luster appears in the forthcoming reviews of the new 1.5 release.   Of late, it seems to me that Spybot has nearly disappeared from the PC landscape - i.e., it does not even merit a mention in product comparisons, reviews, etc. anymore.  Hopefully, the product will have regained some stature with version 1.5 . . . .

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Spybot 1.5 Released
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 7:58pm

thanks pleo.

i thought spyboy was always "essential".

what has taken its place? if it has fallen from grace.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 9:19am

Rad wrote on Sep 4th, 2007 at 7:58pm:
thanks pleo.

i thought spybot was always "essential".

what has taken its place? if it has fallen from grace.

As a man is crippled without one of his arms, a Computer's security is crippled without "Spybot Search & Destroy".  Essential.....YES!
It not only finds and removes a LOT of malware, but it also "Protects" against thousands of bad objects.  However many users shoot themselves in the foot by forgetting to "Immunize" after every update.

Spybot is well complemented by AdAware, because one finds the stuff the other one doesn't.

Thanks for the alert on the new version.  I'll download it immediately.

Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 12:20pm

Rad, I lack the moral authority to comment upon whether or not Spybot has “fallen from grace” (!).

More simply, my prior note was just highlighting the observation that Spybot appears to have “fallen off of the radar screen” so-to-speak among anti-malware utilities, in the sense that one now rarely sees Spybot included in competitive reviews of similar applications (e.g., Spy Sweeper, etc.).  It is almost as if the application has disappeared from the ‘collective consciousnesses’ of the PC community?

Whether Spybot 1.5 is better/worse than its competitors is yet to be determined.

Personally, I use Spybot to occasionally scan my PC as a secondary check for malware, but primarily rely upon Symantec’s Norton Internet Security (to prevent the installation of malware) and Webroot’s Spy Sweeper (to detect/remove malware).  Other folk have, of course, different preferences for such tools.

TheShadow, I have not seen much written about AdAware 2007, but the few articles that have reviewed the new version weren’t especially complimentary of the capabilities of the product.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2007 at 11:19am

Well, PC World has published a review of anti-spyware applications in the October, 2007 issue, and its assessment of Spybot and Ad-Aware isn't positive.

Quote:
For many years, this freeware program {Spybot 1.4} was the antispyware standard, but, regrettably, it is no longer competitive.

Quote:
But its {Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus 7.0's} lackluster performance would send us searching elsewhere for antispyware protection.

Source:  Die, Spyware, Die!

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 8:52pm

For several years, I've used both AdAware and Spybot like a TEAM through several version upgrades for each.  I've not only used them myself, but I've also installed both for my hundreds of computer customers.

I just mentioned AdAware and I didn't say anything about version 2007.  I'm still testing that but I have NOT removed AdAware SE/Personal, yet, as it's still getting updates as always, every few days.

Spybot 1.5 has the same failing as previous versions. 
It tries to install that pesky "Tea Timer".
Un-check that box during the install and let just Spybot install and everything's OK.
I installed 1.5 right over the top of 1.4 and it snuggled in and accepted all the special setting I'd set up for ver. 1.4.  If its not set up properly, it will never run right or update properly.

Last year I suggested to them that they break up their updates into sections for easier (faster) downloading.  They did and that has also carried over into ver 1.5.
A great improvement over the updates of the past where the updated data file was approaching 4 megs.  On a dial up system, that was Murder!

I make my own evaluations,,,,,I don't rely on those of the so called "experts", so whether they are still evaluating Spybot S&D or not, is redundant. 
It works....and it works dang'd well. 
It not only finds and removes tons of Spyware, but it also blocks thousands of bad sites.

Children on Board?  Use Spybot and keep it up to date and Immunize after every update.
Updates are still posted on Wednesdays.

Stay safe!
Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print