Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
reading a cd made with ghost 10 with a fat file system (Read 10097 times)
klh
Dude

I Love Radified!

reading a cd made with ghost 10 with a fat file system
Sep 10th, 2007 at 7:11pm

I back up my hard drive using ghost 10 with the fat file system. I can't play the cd on windows xp under the ntfs system. Is there any wat to get to my back ups using a ntfs file system if it was copied using a fat file system?
klh

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: reading a cd made with ghost 10 with a fat file system
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2007 at 7:53pm

klh,

Which partitions are FAT32 and which are NTFS?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2007 at 7:57pm

Do you have Ghost 10 installed on your Windows XP system?  Ghost 10 has to be installed in order to open/use the ghost-explorer program.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

klh
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 9:25am

I'm not totally sure but I believe in the fat system the whole operating system was located. Yes, I do have ghost 10 installed now and have tried to use explorer but it doesn't open! My entire new system is ntfs! Thanks,
klh

IP Logged

klh
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 4:34am

I'm brand new to the forum and had posted a problem. There was two replies of which I answered as of sept. 11. As of yet I 've not received anything back. Did I do something wrong or does anybody not know about my problem. Help
klh

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 4:52am

klh,

We'd like to help but you need to describe your problem in much greater detail. I have little idea what is happening with your computer.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 7:50am

klh wrote on Sep 10th, 2007 at 7:11pm:
I back up my hard drive using ghost 10 with the fat file system. I can't play the cd on windows xp under the ntfs system.

When you say "I can't play the cd", do you mean that when you put the cd in the computer it doesn't auto-play or startup automatically?

Can you put the cd in the XP pc and:
1. Start Windows Explorer
2. Navigate to your cd drive letter
3. Tell me the name of the file or files on the cd.

I am surprised that a Ghost 10 image backup image fits on a single cd, which is only 650-700 mb.  How big is the partition of your FAT pc?

IP Logged

klh
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 7:16pm

I can put the cd in and go to the drive where it is. I start gst 10 and go to explorer in gost10. I then go to the drive where the cd is and click on it but from there nothing happens. And yes I have 15 cd's containing the back-up. I backed it up using os win Me with a fat file system. I theninstalled winxp using the ntsf system. When I tried to recover some files and things off the cd's the afore mentioned problem was what I got. The cd does not auto play but I know I where to go to start it , but it just won't open!
klh

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 7:23pm

Instead of using the Ghost-explorer program, use the XP Windows Explorer program (start/all programs/accessories/explorer).

Put the LAST of the the 15 cd's in the cd-drive.  Tell me the name of the file that is on that cd.

(My guess is that the backup was created with Ghost 2003, and not Ghost 10, because Ghost 10 can't run in Windows Me.)

Do you have an external usb2 hard drive?  If you do, make a folder on that hard drive, and copy all 15 cd's to the same folder.  It will be much easier to read and recover from that instead of all the cd swapping that you will have to go through.

IP Logged

klh
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 7:32pm

No I don't have a usb hard drive externaly. I put the last one which is 22 not 15 and upon clicking to open it it begins loading and as of yet I don't see anything. It seems to be very slow at just 7% complete.
klh

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 7:43pm

I'm betting the the file name on the 22nd cd is xxx.GHO which means it was taken from Ghost 2003.

I'm not that familiar with Ghost 2003, but you could post a new question on the Ghost 2003 forum-board and see if any of the Ghost 2003 experts knows "How do you restore a file or folder from a Ghost 2003 backup when running XP?"

It is going to be VERY time consuming and painful to swap 22 cd's in and out, so if that is your only choice just be forwarned.

Again, open WINDOWS-EXPLORER and see what the file name(s) are on the last cd.

IP Logged

klh
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 7:44pm

I must go to work now I'll check back later thanks.
klh

IP Logged

klh
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2007 at 5:01am

The file name on the last cd is CDR00022 GHO FILE. Thank-you and I will post a new ? on the 2003 ghost forum.
klh

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2007 at 8:41am

Ah haah.  Mystery solved.  I saw your new post on the Ghost 2003 forum.  I'm sure you'll get the answer there.

My own recommendation again is that you purchase a usb2 hard drive, create a new folder on it, and then copy all your 22 cd's into that folder.  As you found out, just reading 1 cd from notepad is slow.  The directory of what is on the 22 cd's is on the last cd, so Ghost reads that to find out what is on the other cd's.  Then it wants you to remove that cd, then insert one of the other cd's, and back and forth.  Fortunately the prices are very reasonable now and will be a big advantage to you for taking weekly or monthly image backups easily in the future.

The retail box version of Ghost 10 came with two cd's:  the Ghost 10 cd, and the Ghost 2003 cd.  You'll need the Ghost 2003 cd to get the program off it to run in xp.  Just not sure myself of the details.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print