Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ReInstalling XP Pro Questions here (Read 3208 times)
phoenix77
N00b

its just me Marty B...

Fargo ND

ReInstalling XP Pro Questions here
Sep 15th, 2007 at 11:28am

I bought a new set of Logitech Speakers Z-5500 series and had them working once. Now after updating god knows how much software I only get error messages and the system will not even function at all.  I want to know if I should uninstall physically the sound card to ease conflicts of drivers before wipeing out my hard drive.  I also have the same question on having 3 hard drives installed, should I unplug the extra drives I use for music only or just leave them installed.  I may have a defective control unit from My speakers because when it did work any button I touched on the Controller would lock it up and state Error Loading DSPABt: Detecting
  I could use some advice here on a new install for this problem.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: ReInstalling XP Pro Qusstions here
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2007 at 7:47pm

You may want to try uninstalling the sound card drivers before you reinstall the entire OS.  It might save you some trouble.  If you decide to do a full reinstall, it shouldn't be necessary to physically uninstall the sound card.  I'd try it with the sound card in first.  If you are still having problems, then remove it physically.  If you do have to remove it physically, I suspect it is bad and should be returned.

As far as the hard drives go, you probably won't get any driver conflicts.  Hard drive drivers are pretty basic and most of it is included in BIOS itself.  You might want to unplug them before you reformat the drive Windows is on, just to make sure you don't accidently reformat the wrong drive.  I learned that one the hard way.  Safer to have them unplugged if you don't need them for the install.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: ReInstalling XP Pro Qusstions here
Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2007 at 3:37am

In addition to temporarily disconnecting all additional hard disks, I also temporarily disconnect all peripheral hardware (scanner, printer, card reader, etc).

When the installation has completed successfully, I change the drive letters for the optical devices to a higher drive letter [e.g. X: and Y:] to get them out of the way for additional hard disks and partitions. Next, I reconnect all additional hard disks, one by one, in the order of desired drive lettering.

I reconnect all peripheral hardware, one by one. Read the manual(s) to find out if the driver installation should start prior to connecting the hardware or the other way around.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print