HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ShadowProtect (Read 74499 times)
huntnyc
Gnarly

Re: ShadowProtect
Reply #30 - Feb 8th, 2008 at 7:19pm

Thanks for posting the review.  I read it in PCMag and thought it was an excellent job by the author.  The only feature really that I would like and am waiting for now is to be able to restore an image to smaller partition than the original.  But, the program is fast, reliable and simple to use.  It continues to be my program of choice for imaging.

Gary

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #31 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 2:05pm

One clarification to the review that is worth noting concerns the author's comments:

Quote:
I opened VMware Workstation, clicked on "Open an Existing VM," and selected a ShadowProtect image of a bootable drive from the backups stored on my network-attached storage device. VMware took less than a minute to create all the additional files needed to launch the image as a virtual machine, displayed a few unimportant warning messages, and booted the image file.

That procedure only works if the ShadowProtect image is an image of a Windows XP system.  For an image of a Windows Vista PC, the VMware Workstation import procedure is not supported—i.e., this is a limitation of VMware Workstation 6 and not of ShadowProtect that hopefully will be addressed in the next release of VMware Workstation.  The workaround solution, however, is easy:  boot the virtual machine with the ShadowProtect CD, and restore the Windows Vista image just as if you were doing it on physical hardware.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Spritel
N00b

I Love Radified!

Re: ShadowProtect v4 vs Norton Ghost v15
Reply #32 - May 22nd, 2011 at 6:38pm

I am running Windows 7.
I am a long time user of previous versions of Norton Ghost going way back into the DOS days.
I have read many posts on the net comparing image backups and have not gotten a good comparison of Norton Ghost v15 to ShadowProtect Desktop v4.

I am seeking to do specifically one thing for overall comparison.  I simply want to back up an image of the 'C' drive partition to another partition, just as I have done for years with previous versions of Norton Ghost.  I do not see a need to install the software on the PC, so I am fine with running the software in the boot 'Recovery Environment' (Windows PE) for both backup and restore as a cold image backup. 

Simply said, I just want to make an image copy of the 'C' drive to another partition and then be able to put it back later if necessary.

I already know that Norton Ghost v15 does not support previous versions of Ghost images. 

Can anyone give me some input on this or direct me to a resource that will give me a better apples-to-apples comparison of the two.  Maybe if we just compare their functionalities while in the 'Recovery Environment'.

Thanks for the help.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #33 - May 23rd, 2011 at 10:17am

@
Spritel

Usually it's not the best practice to tack new questions onto someone else's thread--unless you are specifically responding and adding to their topic.  Starting a new thread is recommended--and possibly referring to another thread (such as this one) as being pertinent to your quesiton(s).  And, this is a three year old thread--doubtful that the posters to this thread are likely to be still interested/following this topic.

But, to comment on your questions:

Quote:
I simply want to back up an image of the 'C' drive partition to another partition, just as I have done for years with previous versions of Norton Ghost.

Why change versions?  I'm still using DOS Ghost 2003--if you are going to boot to Ghost 15's Recovery Environment (specialized WinPE specific to Ghost 15) anyway--might as well boot to DOS.  The only reason to use the more recent versions of Ghost or other imaging software is usually because it can create backup images while Windows is running.  But....

Quote:
I do not see a need to install the software on the PC, so I am fine with running the software in the boot 'Recovery Environment' (Windows PE) for both backup and restore as a cold image backup.

You say you're not interested in having a Windows based imaging program.

Quote:
I am running Windows 7.

I think Win7 has a *built-in* imaging capability--for what you want, it may be all you need--I think it depends on which flavor of Win7 you have whether the backup software is available. 

Quote:
I already know that Norton Ghost v15 does not support previous versions of Ghost images.

Why would you care if you are moving onto a new imaging program?

Quote:
I am fine with running the software in the boot 'Recovery Environment' (Windows PE) for both backup and restore as a [highlight]cold image backup[/highlight.]

I don't personally use Ghost 15, but I've heard that it does allow for making *cold image backups* from the Recovery Environment--something you could not do in previous versions--i.e. Ghost 9, 10, 12, and 14.  So, at least it is an option with Ghost 15.  I have no personal experience with *ShadowProtect Desktop v4*--so I don't know if it has *cold imaging* options available.  Hopefully someone else can comment on that.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Spritel
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #34 - May 23rd, 2011 at 8:09pm

NiightOwl,

NightOwl wrote on May 23rd, 2011 at 10:17am:
Usually it's not the best practice to tack new questions onto someone else's thread--unless you are specifically responding and adding to their topic.

Sorry about that.  I saw the title of the discussion and thought this was the place to go:  'Norton Ghost 15, 14, 12, 10, 9, + Norton Save + Restore (NS+R) › ShadowProtect'.

I will take your suggestion and start a new thread.

Thank you for all of your input.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print