Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost email notifications (under Options) (Read 23840 times)
cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost email notifications (under Options)
Sep 17th, 2007 at 10:47pm

Ghost has a wonderful feature.  It will send an email saying if a scheduled "Ghosting" worked or failed.  And, if it failed, why (out of disk space, etc.).
In general it works (I have to set it to BASIC).
However, too often, I get the following mysterious seemingly unfixable error.  I've Googled and found nothing of value.
The new notification settings were tested (it tried to send a test email) and were not successful ...
The server rejected the sender address.  The server response was: 530 Authentication required.

I seem to do the same thing at different installations.  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it fails.  Anyone know how to fix this frustration snag??

Thanks

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Ghost email notifications (under Options)
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2007 at 11:29pm

It depends which Ghost version you have.

The problem arises because most ISP's require the option "server requires authentication" option for sending emails.  If you normally use Outlook Express, check in your SMTP sending email setups, and see if that is the case.  It probably is.

That option for authenticaion isn't in Ghost 9, I can't remember if Ghost 10 has SMTP authentication or not; Ghost 12 has that as an option.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2007 at 11:41pm

The problem is occuring under Ghost 10.0.

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2007 at 11:47pm

Ghost 10 has an authenticate section.  The choices are Anonymous, Basic and NTLM.
Above that, it asks for SMTP.  I have always put the SMTP of the destination of the email (Comcast) and it usually works.  Should I be putting the Source of the email (Yahoo).
This failure occurs on a machine that uses Yahoo.  The notification email is to be sent to a Comcast email address.
Like I said, I do this on many machines, and it usually works.  In fact, I received nightly notifications from about 10 diverse machines.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2007 at 11:51pm

I just looked at Ghost 10.  It DOES have SMTP authentication options.  You probably have to fill in the same userid/password there that matches the one you use with your ISP.

SMTP authentication is to prevent spam email flooding without the ISP knowing who is trying to send the email.

If you have Ghost 10 installed at different locations, it has to match the ISP email network rules for each location.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2007 at 11:53pm

cardinal23 wrote on Sep 17th, 2007 at 11:47pm:
Ghost 10 has an authenticate section.  The choices are Anonymous, Basic and NTLM.
Above that, it asks for SMTP.  I have always put the SMTP of the destination of the email (Comcast) and it usually works.  Should I be putting the Source of the email (Yahoo).
This failure occurs on a machine that uses Yahoo.  The notification email is to be sent to a Comcast email address.
Like I said, I do this on many machines, and it usually works.  In fact, I received nightly notifications from about 10 diverse machines.

you put in the SOURCE of the email--that is who is trying to authenticate or send the email.  It doesn't matther who it is being sent TO, but the email and password of who is sending the email.

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 12:04am

I can't explain why, but I have been putting in the destination and it has been working in 85% of the cases.  I'll use the source from now on.

BTW: On the machines in question, they don't use either Outlook nor Outlook Express.  They just send emails through IE.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 9:20am

Quote:
I can't explain why, but I have been putting in the destination and it has been working in 85% of the cases.  I'll use the source from now on.

That's entirely possible.  It depends upon how (and if) the ISP from that pc handles authentication for outgoing mail.  I've seen some ISP's that allow outgoing emails for a period of time once authenticated.  It's like you are still connected and validated.  So for example, if you use Outlook Express to send an email successfully, you could then use Ghost 10 for several minutes to send an email where Ghost would be "tagging along" the authentication that came just a couple minutes ago.  Five minutes later, it wasn't possible.  Go to the website of your ISP and see what the OE settings are supposed to be.

Quote:
BTW: On the machines in question, they don't use either Outlook nor Outlook Express.  They just send emails through IE.

Those machines are still using the ISP, so if you want to send emails from them (from OE or Outlook or Ghost), go to the website of the ISP and see what the email settings are supposed to be.

Some ISP's want the email ID in the username field, some the full email address, etc.  (joe vs. joe@comcast.com).

Almost all ISP's require the user to logon or be authenticated to send emails sent from a pc.  Any that don't are called "open relays" and are fodder for spam bots.  That hole was closed several years ago to try and thwart spam.

When you send emails through IE, you are doing the equivalent thing by "authenticating" by logging on with your Yahoo id and password.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 9:54am

Cardinal, did changing the SMTP notification settings fix the problem?  I think when you click on the "test" button it sends a test email, so it is easy to verify.

As you could probably tell, I have used this feature on several pc's (different locations, different ISP's) and had problems myself as well figuring out what was needed.

Bottom line is that user verification/authentication is fairly standard now.  Otherwise you could set your outgoing email server address to some server in "wherever-country" and send out a million spam emails.

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 10:09am

G4M (and me too):
I printed out this thread and need to reveiew it.
I get notifications from like 10 PCs every night - but there's always a few that torch me.
I have always used Basic, never SMTP.  And, as you know, I've used the Source smtp, instead of the Destination SMTP.
One of the (easy) things I will try is to express the login credentials differently:  For example, instead of saying just "mylogin", I will say "mylogin@domain.com".  That's pretty easy.  After that I'll try the more involved suggestions you offer.
Radified (and people like G4M) are wonderful!!  There IS still good in the world.  Don't let anybody tell you different!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 10:19am

The hard part is verifying from each ISP for the 10 pc's what email settings are required to send emails.

Another factor, which I just remembered, can affect it:  Firewall or other Internet Security Software package.  Some of them trap or don't allow software on the pc (except OE or Outlook) to send emails.  That's to protect some rogue software from emailing all your passwords or personal information back-home.

To really test it, you probably need to be at the few sites that don't work and click on the "test" function.

Interesting problem.

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 10:33am

I have about 14 sites that send Ghost notifications.  Of those 14, 10 work fine.
My confidence is raised.  I'll fix these.  df

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 11:33am

I am writing about the "question" of whether you should specify the SMTP of the sending computer or the receiving computer.  Ghost4Me said it should be the sending computer.  That sure makes sense to me.

H O W E V E R .... This just now happened.  And, it corresponds with the wierd fact that this backwards behavior has worked also in the past, on about 7 or 8 environments.

I needed email notifications FROM a Hotmail person to me (Comcast).
I dutifully told Ghost:  smtp.hotmail.com.  I tried BOTH NTLM and BASIC.  Both failed.

I then said smtp.comcast.net (and entered MY account information at Comcast), and Ghost said "OK.  No problem."  and it sent the test notification email, and I got it.

This makes no sense to me.  But I can't modify Symantec's code and it works.

Nonetheless, even this doesn't work in many, many environments.  In those environmnets, neither works.    ... the beat goes on ....
Thanks, David

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #13 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 12:53pm

Here's the logical way to think about it:

Anytime you send email from a computer, using Outlook or Outlook Express etc., you need to authenticate to the email server so that it knows who is sending the email through their sever.  Otherwise the world would be filled with tons more spam being mischievously sent through various isp's.  That why the authentication occurs.

If you have a online Yahoo or hotmail account, then you authenticate yourself when you logon to your online account.  When you send email via the web this way, Yahoo uses its server, and since you logged on, you are authenticated.

You should ask the Hotmail person WHO his computer is connected to?  What ISP is he using to get Internet access?  Even if he never uses his ISP for email, you need to know that.  I suspect he has a Comcast account. 

When you tell Ghost to send an email, Ghost uses smtp protcol, which is like Outlook or Outlook Express.  So you need a valid ISP-account.  The fact that YOUR settings worked leads me to belive that your friend also has Comcast, or that Comcast allows emails from any domain, once authenticated.

Some ISP's will not allow you to send emails using their email server UNLESS you are connected to a computer on their domain.  So you can't go to a friends house who has Cox or some other ISP and send email to some non-Cox email server.

Does this make sense?  It's all part of the blocking of "open-relay" ISPs which were a big spam problem several years ago.

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 12:59pm

OK.  I think I get it.
Lets say my email address is david@earthlink.net but I have Verizon DSL as my carrier, I need to tell Ghost Verizon.net (smtp.verizon.net) or whatever.  I do NOT tell Ghost smtp.earthlink.net.

Or, another example:
I get my email at david@hotmail.com.  However I have a Comcast cable coming into my house for TV and Internet.  I would tell Ghost smtp.comcast.net, NOT smtp.hotmail.com.

Right?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print