Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
virtual partition error messages (Read 1691 times)
blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

virtual partition error messages
Sep 18th, 2007 at 12:08am

Hello,
     I have a problem with Ghost working in the virtual partition. What is giving me trouble on my real computer (a laptop) in fact does work well on a virtual machine (microsoft virtual PC) on the same laptop.

I have a primary partition and an extended one on my laptop. I tried to use Ghost from windows to backup my primary partition as an image to my extended partition (both in NTFS) using the virtual partition in DOS. The process runs fine. My laptop is rebooted and files are created with .gho and .ghs extensions onto my extended partition. An image integrity check is done (without any message if it's successful or not as usually given by running Ghost with a floppy diskette) and then my laptop boots back to windows and the task log messages appear:

Task: other
start time: 1/1/1970 12:00 AM

(Look at the time above!!!)

and I get the message:  The selected task completed with errors.

If an image file was created from this task, use the image integrity check wizard to perform a check on it.

Then I try to view the log file but Notepad opens up blank and I get the message:

The process cannot access the file because it is used by another process

If at this instant I launch/start Ghost, then even LiveUpdate doesn't give me the normal menu with options like symantec archive/live etc. I get an error message saying that the proces can't be started.

When I exits everything and then starts Ghost again, then everything seems to work fine and I can then get the normal menu for LiveUpdate.

I've tried to again check the image integrity and when my laptop boots back to windows, I get the same error messages for the task log as above (same time specification: 1970 etc)

I have Ghost 2003.793 and I know it works fine with my Ghost floppy diskette and a similar operation as above on a virtual machine (virtual pc) made on my laptop works fine with no error messages at all!!!

I have Symantec antivirus on my real machine which loads before the task log message from Ghost appears after booting to Windows, but I don't think that Symantec antivirus is the culprit here.

Can anyone plz help? Any comments are welcomed and most appreciated...

Just one additional comment: I've always used fat32 with Ghost but I know that Ghost 2003 supports ntfs. Apart losing the flexibility to read the ntfs image in case you can't start the computer normally but only with a floppy diskette for instance, am I still kind of old-fashioned :-) to continue devote a partition in fat32 only for Ghost images? When you have a hammer in your hand, every problem seems to be like a nail... :-)

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print