Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Norton Internet Security 2008 - EULA (Read 18061 times)
Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Norton Internet Security 2008 - EULA
Sep 18th, 2007 at 3:19am

"Protection for up to 3 PCs per household" is what it says on Symantec Product Desciption. I have tried to find the EULA to get information on the definition of "household" but no luck. What I want to find out is if it is legit to install one copy on the home-PC, the second copy on the PC in the summer house and the third copy on a LapTop or do all PCs have to be under the same roof (IP address). Anyone out there who is better than me on searching the Symantec web site for the EULA?

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: Norton Internet Security 2008 - EULA
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 1:37pm

I'm not sure how the summer house fits into the EULA legally, but I think it will work technically based on my experience.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 5:25pm

MrMagoo,
that's what I thought but I want to know what it says in the EULA.

I also assume that the first copy that gets activated will be the "master" and the other two will have the respective subscription running in parallel (the same date no matter when they get installed), right?

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 5:51pm

Can't answer that for you, but I would assume the entire liscence will expire one year from the first activation.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 4:06pm

Quote:
... but I would assume the entire liscence will expire one year from the first activation.

I can confirm that after findning the information at Symantec-Sweden. It also says that I can install the "bonus copies" on "any computer that I personally use". I still haven't found the EULA which they claim is there ... Undecided ... somewhere.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 9:25pm

Christer

Symantec has been placing the EULA for Norton SystemWorks and Ghost in their compressed files--usually a RAR file--rather than in the root directory of the installation CD's.  You might have to use WinRAR to look at some of the installation files with *.exe* extensions--these can be auto-extracting RAR files.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 4:03am

NightOwl,
I haven't bought NIS 2008 yet and have no access to a NIS 2008 CD. Since they say the EULA is published on their web site, I will try to get in touch with Symantec-Sweden and ask where on the web it is located. I want to know that I am allowed use the "bonus copies" the way I want before buying and doing it.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

frazzled
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 4:55am

In the past multi-user license keys installed and ran independently. It is possible that has changed, but if so I haven't heard about it.

Christer wrote on Sep 18th, 2007 at 5:25pm:
I also assume that the first copy that gets activated will be the "master" and the other two will have the respective subscription running in parallel (the same date no matter when they get installed), right?

Christer

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 6:09am

This isn't a multi-user license key, it is a single user, 3 machine key.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 10:09am

I'm puzzled......with all the millions of words posted on the World Wide Web, concerning all the problems people have had with Norton products (av, NIS particularly) and all the documented evidence as to what a huge resource hog it is...... why would any knowledgeable person want to put that P.O.C. on their PC? 
I'm actually way beyond puzzled. Undecided

When someone calls me to their home because their PC is running Soooooo Sloooooow, Norton is the first thing I DE-Install.  Then comes the Spyware, Trojans and Viruses that Norton ignored.  To me and thousands of other tech's world wide, Norton is just like any Virus that needs to be eradicated.  To aid others in getting rid of this nuisance, I've put the link to the Norton Removal Tool in my Signature Line, on this and every  forum I work.

Everything that Norton claims to be doing, and doesn't do very well, can be done by totally FREE software, like AVG 7.5 FREE, (Anti-Virus) easily obtainable over the internet.
I've always said, "The worlds best computer security software is totally FREE!".

Cheers Mates, and happy computing!

The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 5:12pm

Norton used to be top of the line and built a very good name for themselves.  I agree that it has become very resource heavy and not as effective as other solutions.  They haven't been living up to their name in my opinion, but they still have their name.  It takes a while for market forces to change.  Normal computer users have no way to know that Norton isn't doing what their reputation claims.

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 6:31pm

While I'd agree that NIS 2005 and 2006 in particular were pretty wretched (I wouldn't run 2006 at home even with it being free to me), I'd say the management of the consumer division got the message.

NIS2007 shipped late because they reworked it so heavily to try and make the UI suck less (and that caused a revenue miss that got the stock pummeled, but it needed to be done), and I run N360 at home and I have to say it's just fine in terms of the AV/Firewall parts. NIS2006 would regularly blow out to using hundreds of megabytes of working set - that's what finally broke my patience with it, actually - but the scanner in N360 has never done that to me.

By all accounts NIS2008 continues the trend of improvement (although not having run it myself I'm open to hearing actual experiences) although I'll probably wait awhile and go for N360 v2 instead when that ships since I'm happy enough with N360 now.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 2:36am

Well, "The Shadows" post didn't help me find the EULA for NIS 2008 ... Roll Eyes ... ! Anyway, I know that people are bashing Symantec and I agree that NIS 2005 that is currently on my 1GHz/512MB BOAC (Box Of Assembled Components) is a bit heavy once every four hours when LiveUpdate launches. That's coffee time but when done, it's okey again. Since NIS 2008 has allegedly been reworked and lightened, I would be prepared to test it even on my old BOAC.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 9:24am

No, I'm aware that I didn't answer the question about the EULA, and I certainly didn't mean to demean or insult any Norton user, fanatic, stock-holder or enthusiast.

But I was just trying to find out why, in this day and age of enlightenment, that anyone would buy such a horrendous product, when other products that do the same things are readily available and FREE.

I work on many different forums, based in several different countries and the problems with Norton NIS and their AV software just keeps coming up day after day someplace or another.

Is it really worth it?  It just seems like throwing good money down a rat hole.

Again, if my posts offend anyone....I sincerely apologize.  That was never my intent.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 2:05pm

Shadow,
I wasn't offended in any way at all! I was actually expecting someone to tell me to "dump that crap and get something that works".

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print