Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Restoring image after changing memory or burner (Read 1890 times)
alma1227
Ex Member

Restoring image after changing memory or burner
Oct 10th, 2007 at 3:21am

After the last time that my computer was formatted (Pentium 4), and Windows XP, Office and some other programs installed the technitian made me (just in case, I'll need it one day).  a Ghost Image, and boot disk - I'm not sure which Ghost version - maybe 2003
the image is on another hard drive, I have a copy on a DVD.

Now, after a year the computer isn't in good shape and I thought of using the ghost image.
If I change my Ram memory to a new one larger and faster,(I need to do that to improve performance) and afterwards restore that image, will it work?
I mean - if any hardware was changed between the time the image was created to the moment of restore, does it make any damage to the image?
And same question regarding change of my DVD burner. I bought a new one, but haven't installed it yet because I was thing to do the Ghost thing....
Does it matter if the burner changed, or the memory? Or is it only necessary that the motherboard won't change...
I want the computer to work with all the programs, and not need to reinstall it all.... that's why Ghost exists, doesn't it?

What are the restrains about hardware in order for the image to fit the computer? I recall that I once learnt something about the link between the physical configuration of the computer, and using Ghost.
Am I mistaken?

I want to completly sure that I can change the memory and burner.

Post 1 of 3 | Back to top

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Restoring image after changing memory or burner
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 2:20am

alma1227

Changing the RAM amount and the burner (as long as it is compatible with DOS), should not be a problem for Ghost!

It's when you boot to Windows that hardware changes can become a problem--especially if the HDD controllers have changed--when Windows installs, it configures many settings for the OS that are hardware specific--if the hardware is not a close match, then Windows may not function correctly!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print