Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 Restore (Read 4990 times)
Termnator1964
Ex Member

Ghost 2003 Restore
Oct 12th, 2007 at 11:31am

Hello,

I did a backup using Ghost 2003 on a DVD and when I went to restore it on another machine I cannot see the .gho files? I can see the ghost.exe but when I try to use that I get and error "ghost.exe is not a valid image file error 1909".

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

Bob

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 2003 Restore
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2007 at 11:58pm

Termnator1964

Not sure from your post what you did exactly--clarify!  Is that the error message *word for word*?

You used Ghost 2003 to create a Ghost image--and did you store the image on the DVD?

Did you make the DVD bootable?

Did you do an Integrity check of the image to see that it passed that test?

Quote:
cannot see the .gho files?

Put the disc in any other system and use Windows Explorer--you should see file(s) named *CD000001.gho*--or something to that effect!  If you don't see that, then there is no image file saved to that disc!

Quote:
I can see the ghost.exe but when I try to use that I get and error "ghost.exe is not a valid image file error 1909".

What drive are you looking in when you see *ghost.exe*?  

But, that is correct--*ghost.exe* is not an image file!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Termnator1964
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2007 at 8:19am

Night Owl,

Thanks for the reply.

What I did exactly was that I am on a gov contract and I have to rebuild a lot of laptops. I did a backup of the one that I finished and have tweaked so it is just right. The backup consisted of one 8.5 GB dvd disc and one 4.7GB dvd.

I did not make a bootable CD because it says with Ghost 2003 that you do not have to?

I finally got it working after taking all the Ghost files (11 in all about 1gb a piece) and placing them on an ext HDD. Then I booted from the original dvd disc I made and pointed to the ext HDD .gho files and it worked.

I would although like to find out where I messed up with the dvd disc as I will be dealing with secret data in awhile and would rather give up my disc than a hdd.

TIA

Bob

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2007 at 8:49am

Termnator1964

So, the *.gho* files must have been there on the DVD.

Quote:
I did a backup of the one that I finished and have tweaked so it is just right. The backup consisted of one 8.5 GB dvd disc and one 4.7GB dvd.

How are you booting and loading Ghost to do that original Ghost image?

Are you using the same boot disk or disc when you went to restore the image from the optical media?

And once Ghost is loaded,  do you see your optical drive listed in the drop-down menu box as a source drive to look for that image?--are you prompted to put in the other optical disc with the Ghost image files--or do you swap out the boot disc for the data disc?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print