Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
One image for 4 different Dell Versions?! (Read 8067 times)
CpX
Dude

I Love Radified!

Denmark

One image for 4 different Dell Versions?!
Oct 17th, 2007 at 8:17am

Embarrassed

hi, I need help in creating and understanding how you can make an boot cd or is it the image (it must be the image)... That can install 4-5 different Dells from same image/boot cd - and install all the drivers automaticly.

At my company we've started using Toshiba machines, And I need to create the same thing for Toshiba machines.

Can someone guide me?

I really dont get it, how this boot cd or image - can install all the drivers. And if someone could point me to a guide, where i make it all...

Since for the boot cd to work, I need to know how to include the specific netcard driver, else it won't work, now won't it Wink

Pls advice...

IP Logged

CpX
Dude

I Love Radified!

Denmark

Re: One image for 4 different Dell Versions?!
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 8:31am

Hmm, I was just told, that if you put the drivers in system32, all of them - windows can find them - or so!? Is that true.... Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 9:00am

Cpx

Quote:
And if someone could point me to a guide,

Well, you're wanting to do more than just backups and restores--using a system image to deploy to different machines requires more than just a couple lines of explanation.

Most IT departments will probably use Corporate Ghost 8.x, or the current 11.x from Symantec's Ghost Solution Suite.  That has a *Ghost Server* function, and images can be *pushed out* over a network to the client machines.

Usually, one makes a base image, and then use *SysPrep* to create a system that can be deployed to machines that are not identical--and when you first boot, Windows goes through a setup routine to re-detect the new hardware so Windows will run correctly.

I have no personal experience--but, here's my list of links that I have gathered over time regarding *sysprep* resources:

Google Search on *Sysprep*

SysPrep Guide

SysPrep Guide--The Video

Sysprep

How to use the Sysprep tool to automate successful deployment of Windows XP

Description of New Features in Sysprep for Windows XP

How to use Sysprep with Ghost

http://entkb.symantec.com/security/output/n2000081610075225.html

[Info] Ghost Sysprep

Using SYSPREP to Create XP Pro Images

Using Sysprep--Example of Steps

Creating a Sysprep Image Library for Virtual PC

Quote:
Hmm, I was just told, that if you put the drivers in system32, all of them - windows can find them - or so!? Is that true...

I have no experience with that...so don't know.

As you can see, there's probably a steep learning curve--but the information is out there!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 11:59am

CPX,
The simple answer is that if your company, or any company, bought X # of new PC's, all exactly alike (and I DO mean Exactly) then there's a very easy way to set them all up to be alike, with drivers, installed software, etc.

Set up the first PC exactly the way you want them all to be and then make a bootable Ghost Image of that PC.  Restore that Image to all the other PC's and the job is done. 

Doing that to circumvent licensing on software packages, is Illegal.  But NO problem with the OS since it was legally purchased and paid for on each PC.

Good Luck,
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

CpX
Dude

I Love Radified!

Denmark

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 3:47am

Hi.

We use sysprep already... not so important, what is more important is, that the dell ghost boot disc the firm I work in has made, doesen't have the drivers to boot up our new Toshiba laptops which our technicians should use.

So I wanted to change the boot disc we have already, just too add the netcard drivers and maybe some more in the menu, but I don't know where to add this.

Else I'll have to try to the build thing with the ghost 8.0 and choose the driver and 2 disc drives, the problem is no-one really uses disc drives anymore Sad

Any suggestions!?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 8:33am

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

CpX
Dude

I Love Radified!

Denmark

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 2:47am

It will, it's a very nice guide - thx a lot. (luv this forum)

In other news, I looked at the forums here, and for some reason there's a norton 12 out?! Well, I don't see any version of the server enterprise - the on with ghost cast server in and such, or is it all included in the norton ghost 12!? because the norton ghost for home users, usually don't include the ghost server (I might be wrong here, but I was told that it had to be enterprise version to have these things in it).

An the one million dollar question!! To make the guide I was linked to, it also spoke about drivepackage.net - which is very nice. But all the drivers is for xp - And when you make a win98 boot ghost disc - The drivers for NIC's or the netcard has to be "for 98" meaning, drivers for xp doesen't work. They are fine for the image itself, but for booting... - If I have a brand new laptop, and with a totally new netcard, then I need to find the drivers compatible with 98, correct?

I thank you all, so far!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 9:18am

CpX

Quote:
the on with ghost cast server in and such, or is it all included in the norton ghost 12!? because the norton ghost for home users, usually don't include the ghost server (I might be wrong here, but I was told that it had to be enterprise version to have these things in it).

Symantec has taken the *confusion factor* to new heights--the marketing department must have discovered that the word *Ghost* sells--both on the enterprise level as well as the retail level (they tried to make *Ghost* go away for the retail version--briefly, i.e. *Norton Save and Restore*--but it's back now with Ghost 12!).

Anyway, Ghost 12 is a retail version and no *ghost cast server* and it's not DOS compatible--it only runs under a Windows OS.  Ghost 11 is the current latest Enterprise version and is marketed under Ghost Solution Suite (GSS).  The previous Enterprise version was Ghost 8.xx, with Ghost 9 and 10 being retail versions!

Quote:
If I have a brand new laptop, and with a totally new netcard, then I need to find the drivers compatible with 98, correct?

When you boot the laptop to the DOS client Ghost program--you're booting to DOS and the network drivers must be DOS drivers (i.e. "for 98"), even if you will be accessing a server on the network that's running WinXP--networking is designed to be cross platform compatible if you have the correct drivers.

DOS NIC drivers should be on the laptop's driver disc for its built-in NIC chip--or the brand NIC chip should be listed in the laptop's system specifications--and the DOS drivers available from the NIC chip maker's website under its driver downloads.

IP Logged

CpX
Dude

I Love Radified!

Denmark

Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 8:47am

Btw. - Maybe I'm doing this wrong, or maybe there is an easier way to get the NIC or driver for my netcard.

As an example, I have a dell latitude d430 on my hands now - (Which worked with an older dell driver) But, if it hadn't - How would you proceed from here... There is no driver disc with this one... Would you look the specs up on the net, or through the bios find out which card I had... and then search for a DOS driver...

Or how do you guys proceed!? Do you take some files from the xp driver install package, or? because at dells site you can't seem to find any dos drivers Sad Can you extract tge driver from these installation files, or do I need to search at the producers site, and not dell!?
http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=dk&cs=dkbsdt1&...

Sry if you have mentioned this before.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 9:53am

CpX

Quote:
How would you proceed from here... There is no driver disc with this one... Would you look the specs up on the net, or through the bios find out which card I had... and then search for a DOS driver...

Pretty much have to jump through whatever hoops you have to!

I did a Google search on *dell latitude d430 *, went to Dell's website--looked at notebook specifications--said it could be a *Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller* (you would have to confirm the exact NIC chip installed), looked for NIC drivers for that NIC on Dell's site--didn't see any--so did a Google search on *dos driver for Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller*--went to Broadcom's website--clicked on*Ethernet NICs > Downloads Drivers*--ended up here:  Broadcom Ethernet NIC NetXtreme Desktop Driver Downloads

Down near the bottom is the *DOS NDIS2* driver.

The above may not be your exact driver source--you have to know your NIC's specifics--but you have to search around until you find the correct source!

Quote:
Or how do you guys proceed!? Do you take some files from the xp driver install package, or? because at dells site you can't seem to find any dos drivers  Can you extract tge driver from these installation files, or do I need to search at the producers site, and not dell!?

Those are probably Windows based drivers and not DOS based!  Your link appears to offer only the Windows based drivers--so the NIC's website is probably the place to go--i.e. Broadcom.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print