Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Run Now" button doesn't work. Ghost 2003 (Read 4146 times)
Bill Q. Smuthers
Ex Member

"Run Now" button doesn't work. Ghost 2003
Oct 25th, 2007 at 10:11am

I've been using Ghost 2003 for years and now the "Run Now" button doesn't respond from the GUI. I'm using XP SP2 all latest patches. Latest anti-virus data definitions. All the anti-spyware stuff.

I've uninstalled Ghost, cleared out the temp and prefetch dirs, rebooted reinstalled and it still doesn't work.

I can start Ghost from a CD but for whatever reason, most of the backups on a hard disk aren't displayed but I did successfully restore an earlier version of the 'C' partition from a hard disk. But the Ghost "Run Now" button still doesn't work (even after the restore!)

Getting desperate, I ran fixmbr and fixboot from the XP SP2 CD repair mode. That didn't resolve the problem either.

Then I uninstalled Ghost 2003 again, removed every reference to Ghost in the registry, deleted every file that had the word 'Ghost', rebooted, reinstalled and "Run Now" button still doesn't respond. No errors & no action.

I also can't set the virtual partition or do an integrity check because (you guessed it), the "Run Now" button doesn't respond.

However, I can open the backups and view or extract the contents so I know the backups that Ghost can't see from DOS mode aren't corrupted.

Any ideas?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: "Run Now" button doesn't work. Ghost 2003
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2007 at 10:43am

Bill Q. Smuthers

Quote:
I also can't set the virtual partition or do an integrity check because (you guessed it), the "Run Now" button doesn't respond.

Wild stab in the dark--have you changed the partition structure of your primary HDD so all the *primary partition slots* in the Master Partition Table are in use?

Also, can you go to the *View Log* of the Ghost interface--are there any log entries to review?

Quote:
I can start Ghost from a CD but for whatever reason, most of the backups on a hard disk aren't displayed

That doesn't make much sense--the problem with the Windows GUI should not have any effect on seeing the image files using the DOS version--would need to know more about what exactly is going on here--what DOS naming are you using for your files?

By the way, I'm out of town later this morning for about a week--so hopefully others will be along to respond--otherwise I'll be back--be patient!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Bill Q. Smuthers
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2007 at 8:52pm

After a few hours (actually, quite a few hours), I figured it out.  I would never install Ghost 2003 on a user's computer.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 4:21pm

with ghost 2003 you should really work
with the DOS floppies which it gives you option to make
or boot from the Cd to a DOS menu with lots of drivers for USB CD etc.
and set off the ghost.exe(GHOSTPE.exe personal addition)from there
that personal addition of ghost tries to mark the drives which I do not like.
if you can get hold of a ghost 7 or 7.7 or 8 corporate edition
is best .
if you got say a computer that recovers from a ghost image say e-Machine
when you boot from restore Cd it creates a ram drive which got ghost .exe on
and you can easily copy it to a floppy or
use ISOBUSTER to extract the bootable part of CD with ghost on it.
if you are trying to use a bootable recovery CD to give to client  here is
a good link to read (50,000 people have read it so it must be useful!!)
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=14127

Regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 10:03am

Bill Q. Smuthers

Quote:
I figured it out. I would never install Ghost 2003 on a user's computer.

For the good of all--I would be interested in knowing what you found to be the problem--what did you *figure* out?

So, why wouldn't you install Ghost 2003?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print