Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need Help! Symantec Ghost 12 (Read 4942 times)
awest
Ex Member

Need Help! Symantec Ghost 12
Oct 30th, 2007 at 2:05pm

Situation: I have the full version of Symatec Ghost 12.0.

Task: I have (50) laptops to clone, as well as other projects down the line...

Status: I have configured (1) master machine that each of the laptops will be mirrored copies of.

Dillema: I have no clue as to where to start with this new software.

Desired Result: I just simply need to be able to clone from hard drive to hard drive. Microsoft Windows XP is the Operating System and I am dealing with all identical Dell hardware.

Can someone please help or recommend a simplified resource like Ghost for Dummies (which I dont think exsists) or something else?

I am only interested in cloning a hard drive to either a flash jump drive or a CD or DVD. All of that ghosting over the network and stuff is totally unecessary to me..

!!!HELP!!!!          !!!HELP!!!!           !!!HELP!!!!             !!!HELP!!!!
Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Need Help! Symantec Ghost 12
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 12:29am

awest

Quote:
Status: I have configured (1) master machine that each of the laptops will be mirrored copies of.

I think you have to use something like *SysPrep* so you can properly activate the new installs which will have *unique* ID's because the CPU serial number, the MAC address of the NIC, the HDD serial number, etc. will be *different* on each *identical* machine!!!

Quote:
I just simply need to be able to clone from hard drive to hard drive.

vs

I am only interested in cloning a hard drive to either a flash jump drive or a CD or DVD.

Well, which is it?--those are two completely different approaches!

Ghost 12 has a *copy drive* function, and can do a *bare metal* restore of a drive image file--but, most likely the best tool is the corporate Ghost 11 that comes with Ghost Solution Suite 2.x (GSS 2.x).

Quote:
Can someone please help or recommend a simplified resource like Ghost for Dummies (which I dont think exsists) or something else?

Rad's Original Guide to DOS based Ghost:  Guide to Norton Ghost

Radified Guide to Norton Ghost 12

Enjoy the reading...  Wink !!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Re: Need Help! Symantec Ghost 12
Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 12:53am

NightOwl wrote on Nov 3rd, 2007 at 12:29am:
but, most likely the best tool is the corporate Ghost 11 that comes with Ghost Solution Suite 2.x (GSS 2.x).

For targeting multiple machines, definitely.

To emphasise what Nightowl said, there is no such product as "Symantec Ghost 12". "Symantec" branding means business; "Norton" means consumer, and "Norton Ghost 12" is actually the consumer version of Backup Exec System Recovery (which isn't derived from the Backup Exec product line, either).

Quote:
I think you have to use something like *SysPrep* so you can properly activate the new installs

Definitely a good plan; don't forget that what's most important is what kind of license key you're going to use with the version of XP you're going to deploy. If it's a volume license key, you need to apply that to a volume license build of Windows, not an OEM license build. Different builds of Windows don't accept license keys from other ones.

I wrote a basic walkthough of using GSS2 with Sysprep to image machines for a customer who e-mailed me and wanted to know how to start, so I went through it end-to-end with a single machine (but once you get that set up, you can image all 50 notebooks at once with Ghost's network server).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print