LiveUpdate (Read 17965 times)
Osmosis
Dude

Thank God for Radified!

California

LiveUpdate
Nov 4th, 2007 at 1:56pm

Embarrassed Hey folks,  1st post here,

Not sure how best to start this thread so here it goes;  I'm running Ghost 12.0 Ver. 12.0.1.21822 and all is well.  I was wondering where on Symantec/Norton's web site can I verify if I have the most current version?

I have run LiveUpdate Version 3.2.0.68 (hate it) and see some updates but they won't install (failed to install);  I get error messages LU 1812 & 1806.

Ghost 12.0 runs very well,  for me,  in Vista but the LiveUpdate is at best "screwy";  is it me or does LU have issues?

Rod

Rod

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: LiveUpdate
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 2:57pm

Osmosis wrote on Nov 4th, 2007 at 1:56pm:
Embarrassed Hey folks,  1st post here,
Not sure how best to start this thread so here it goes;  I'm running Ghost 12.0 Ver. 12.0.1.21822 and all is well.  I was wondering where on Symantec/Norton's web site can I verify if I have the most current version?

I have run LiveUpdate Version 3.2.0.68 (hate it) and see some updates but they won't install (failed to install);  I get error messages LU 1812 & 1806.
Ghost 12.0 runs very well,  for me,  in Vista but the LiveUpdate is at best "screwy";  is it me or does LU have issues?
Rod

Osmosis, welcome.  First there's no place on the Symantec website that I know of to verify what the lastest version of Ghost 12 is, or for that matter what fixes or improvements are made in my update.  I know, I've been there.

Regarding the LU1812 and 1806 errors with LiveUpdate, I have also had the same problem.  I forget what the version number of Ghost 12 was when I first bought it, but there was later a LiveUpdate to .21822 that you have.

When I tried to use LiveUpdate a couple weeks ago, I got into the same problem.  I contacted Symantec LiveChat and was told "uninstall and then re-install".  Being pessimistic at that glorious advice, balked, but finally I did just that.  This time after installing from the Ghost 12 cd, I went to LiveUpdate and the update updated Ghost 12 to 12.0.2.23036, which is where I am now.

My conclusion is/was that there is a bug in the Ghost 12 update program, and it only wants to update from the original version to get to 12.0.2.23036 and won't handle the intermediate update out there.  Obviously not good.

Bottom line:  Uninstall, reboot, install Ghost 12 again, then run LiveUpdate.

Let me know if you end up with the same version I did.

P.S. I still don't know what fixes are in this latest update.  Anyone know why Symantec hides this from the customer?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Osmosis
Dude

Thank God for Radified!

California

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 3:27pm

Thanks for your input,  Ghost4Me....

it was really helpful and of course I could also do a re-install just as you have done BUT why should we?  This is what makes me so mad about Norton/Symantec and is why lot's of folks want nothing to do with their products.

Ghost 12.0 is from what I can see is an excellent product but it's a hard sale for me because of the LU issues.  Very frustrating....

Anyway,  thanks for confirming what I thought.  Would like to see other posts having the same issue with LU.

The on-line Chat is of ZERO value at least for me!

Rod

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 8:45am

Osmosis

Don't know about the most current version number or build for Ghost 12, but here's some information on updating LiveUpdate:

How to download and install LiveUpdate--and installing it from the Website.

How to download and install LiveUpdate--and installing it from your local computer.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

ryanoc
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 9:58am

Osmosis wrote on Nov 4th, 2007 at 3:27pm:
Thanks for your input,  Ghost4Me....

it was really helpful and of course I could also do a re-install just as you have done BUT why should we?  This is what makes me so mad about Norton/Symantec and is why lot's of folks want nothing to do with their products.

Ghost 12.0 is from what I can see is an excellent product but it's a hard sale for me because of the LU issues.  Very frustrating....

Anyway,  thanks for confirming what I thought.  Would like to see other posts having the same issue with LU.

The on-line Chat is of ZERO value at least for me!

I totally agree.  I couldn't believe that this was Symantec's response, so I tried for myself.

Abhishek(Tue Nov 6 07:48:12 EST 2007)>I gather that you receive error LU1812 while running Live Update. Am I correct?
Mr._Ryan_Ocol(Tue Nov 6 10:46:43 EST 2007)>correct
Abhishek(Tue Nov 6 07:48:37 EST 2007)>Ryan, please do not worry.
Abhishek(Tue Nov 6 07:48:47 EST 2007)>Symantec has resolved this issue.
Abhishek(Tue Nov 6 07:49:03 EST 2007)>To resovle the issue please uninstall and then re-install Norton Ghost 12.
Abhishek(Tue Nov 6 07:49:07 EST 2007)>Then check the issue.
Abhishek(Tue Nov 6 07:49:12 EST 2007)>This should resolve the issue.
Mr._Ryan_Ocol(Tue Nov 6 10:47:36 EST 2007)>That's your fix?
Mr._Ryan_Ocol(Tue Nov 6 10:47:41 EST 2007)>That's unacceptable.
Mr._Ryan_Ocol(Tue Nov 6 10:48:00 EST 2007)>That's a workaround, not a fix.
Abhishek(Tue Nov 6 07:49:50 EST 2007)>After the uninstall you can also download and run Norton Removal tool.
Mr._Ryan_Ocol(Tue Nov 6 10:48:33 EST 2007)>Does that sound like a fix to you?
Abhishek(Tue Nov 6 07:50:15 EST 2007)>You can download it from the below link:http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
Abhishek(Tue Nov 6 07:50:23 EST 2007)>Please do not worry.
Abhishek(Tue Nov 6 07:50:32 EST 2007)>Yes.
Abhishek(Tue Nov 6 07:50:35 EST 2007)>That is the solution.
Abhishek(Tue Nov 6 07:51:02 EST 2007)>This should resolve the issue.
Mr._Ryan_Ocol(Tue Nov 6 10:50:17 EST 2007)>Wow, I would have at least expected symantec to say that they were still working on a fix, but in the meantime, this is a workaround.  This is terrible customer support.
Mr._Ryan_Ocol(Tue Nov 6 10:50:52 EST 2007)>If I were you, I would be worried.  I don't think your company will be in business long with this kind of fix.
Abhishek(Tue Nov 6 07:52:28 EST 2007)>I understand your concerns.
Abhishek(Tue Nov 6 07:52:34 EST 2007)>Please do not worry.
Mr._Ryan_Ocol(Tue Nov 6 10:51:30 EST 2007)>If I wait a week or two, do you think you will come up with a fix to LU so I don't need to reinstall?
Abhishek(Tue Nov 6 07:53:17 EST 2007)>This is the correct solution.
Abhishek(Tue Nov 6 07:53:44 EST 2007)>No, this is the correct solution.

IP Logged

Osmosis
Dude

Thank God for Radified!

California

Reply #5 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 1:46pm

What a great post from "ryanoc",

I hope the members of this forum all see the kind of "of shore" tech support you can get with some (maybe all) of Symantec-Norton products!

Thanks again, ryanoc

Rod - OUT! Shocked

Rod

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 2:26pm

Osmosis and ryanoc

Not to be an *apologist* for Symantec support--I've made more than my share of negative comments--but--quoting from Ghost4me:

Quote:
When I tried to use LiveUpdate a couple weeks ago, I got into the same problem.  I contacted Symantec LiveChat and was told "uninstall and then re-install".  Being pessimistic at that glorious advice, balked, but finally I did just that.  This time after installing from the Ghost 12 cd, I went to LiveUpdate and the update updated Ghost 12 to 12.0.2.23036, which is where I am now.

My conclusion is/was that there is a bug in the Ghost 12 update program, and it only wants to update from the original version to get to 12.0.2.23036 and won't handle the intermediate update out there.  Obviously not good.

Bottom line:  Uninstall, reboot, install Ghost 12 again, then run LiveUpdate.

Quoting Osmosis:

Quote:
it was really helpful and of course I could also do a re-install just as you have done BUT why should we?

Ah...because it fixes the problem!!!

Quoting ryanoc:

Quote:
Mr._Ryan_Ocol(Tue Nov 6 10:47:36 EST 2007)>That's your fix?
Mr._Ryan_Ocol(Tue Nov 6 10:47:41 EST 2007)>That's unacceptable.
Mr._Ryan_Ocol(Tue Nov 6 10:48:00 EST 2007)>That's a workaround, not a fix.
Mr._Ryan_Ocol(Tue Nov 6 10:51:30 EST 2007)>If I wait a week or two, do you think you will come up with a fix to LU so I don't need to reinstall?

So, how is downloading an update, that deletes and/or overwrites your current program code--probably requires a re-boot before the update will take effect--how is that really a whole lot different than *Uninstalling, rebooting, and installing Ghost 12 again*?!  Sure, it might take a little more time!

*Fix* vs *Workaround*--if it works--it works!  Apparently, that was the fastest, best way for Symantec to *resolve* the problem--at least for the short term (I'm sure the support people have no information on if the development group will be forthcoming with an update fix--and when that might happen).

And--*uninstalling* and *re-installing* has been a common recommendation for a lot of software over the years!

Now, if that recommendation did not work--then I'd be upset  Wink !  But, if it works--maybe cut the Symantec support folks a little slack!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Osmosis
Dude

Thank God for Radified!

California

Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 2:53pm

Ahhhhh,  Whoa,  NightOwl,

I get where you're coming from and I'm in the middle right now doing the re-install of Ghost 12.0,  so I get it.

Mostly,  of years gone by, and even now from a tech support position telling the end user to uninstall and reinstall is script and stock answer for when the new breed of techie's who don't have a clue of what else to offer.

And I think also the "support people" should have some contact with the development group instead of just giving script answers.

I am not a big fan of "off shore" tech support anyway - it's the wrong thing to have done to our country!  Don't get me started on that song.....

Rod

Rod

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 4:22pm

Here's my take on the situation:

If Symantec LiveChat would have said

"We have a problem with the last Ghost 12 LiveUpdate for those customers that had previously updated from 12.0 to 12.0.1.21822 release.  To correct the problem you have you go back to 12.0 by uninstalling Ghost 12 and then re-installing it.  This time the LiveUpdate will work correctly by taking you from 12.0 to the current release which is 12.0.2.23036.  Sorry for the inconvenience."

That would have explained the problem, and garnered a higher level of confidence and acceptance by the end user.

Personally, because Ghost 12 is so new, I doubt if many people had run the first interim update, and Symantec evidently didn't test that scenario.  But, Symantec (and many companies) can and do have tech problems--but it's not the problem that upsets customers, but how they handle it AFTER having the problem.  Mgmt 101.

IP Logged

Osmosis
Dude

Thank God for Radified!

California

Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2007 at 6:40am

"We have a problem with the last Ghost 12 LiveUpdate for those customers that had previously updated from 12.0 to 12.0.1.21822 release.  To correct the problem you have you go back to 12.0 by uninstalling Ghost 12 and then re-installing it.  This time the LiveUpdate will work correctly by taking you from 12.0 to the current release which is 12.0.2.23036.  Sorry for the inconvenience."  Embarrassed

That would work for me,  Thanks Ghost4me

Rod

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2007 at 9:40am

Osmosis

Quote:
I get where you're coming from and I'm in the middle right now doing the re-install of Ghost 12.0

Did it solve the problem?!

IP Logged

Osmosis
Dude

Thank God for Radified!

California

Reply #11 - Nov 8th, 2007 at 10:11am

Roger that,  it sure did! Grin  I hope this was a one time fix for this kind of issue!

Rod

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Nov 8th, 2007 at 12:31pm

Osmosis wrote on Nov 8th, 2007 at 10:11am:
Roger that,  it sure did! Grin  I hope this was a one time fix for this kind of issue!

Glad that worked for you.  The problem with a company response of just "reinstall Ghost 12" is that the customer doesn't know whether the rep actually knows anything, or is just reading off some script or is just trying to move on to next customer.  A little explanation goes a long way to customer satisfaction, which was my point.

IP Logged

ryanoc
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #13 - Nov 10th, 2007 at 11:55am

I have no problem uninstalling a program and reinstalling it when I've somehow corrupted a file.  But for a company to break their own software through automatic updates and then ask their customers to please uninstall the software and reinstall it, is terrirble in my opinion.  I am still hoping that they come up with a fix that will be downloaded automatically through live update.  What if I had this software installed on 20 of my company's computers?  Do you really think it's acceptable for me to have to pay someone to manually uninstall and reinstall their software because they messed up?  Yes, that is a workaround, but a real fix is to have a live update fix for this problem.

IP Logged

ryanoc
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #14 - Nov 10th, 2007 at 12:08pm

Problem: Ghost can not upgrade from 12.0.1 to 12.0.2

Workaround: Uninstall 12.0.1, Install 12.0.0 and upgrade to 12.0.2.

Fix: Symantec creates Live Update program that will upgrade Ghost from 12.0.1 to 12.0.2.

We rely on Symantec to keep our computers safe from viruses and computer crashes.
Are we really asking for too much for them to fix their Live Update software that upgrades Ghost from 12.0.1 to 12.0.2?

I have no problem waiting a week or two for the fix.  But for them to say that uninstalling and reinstalling is the fix is not acceptable to me.  Would you stay with Symantec products if this is what you were required to do every time they came out with an update?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print