Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NG12: Trying to image Vista Home Basic (Read 19694 times)
BerryBear
Ex Member

NG12: Trying to image Vista Home Basic
Nov 12th, 2007 at 2:15am

I hope somebody can help.  I'm at a lost as what to do next.

PC1: NG12 installed on WinXP SP2
PC2: Vista Home Basic

Both PCs are connected to a switch.

I've turned off firewalls on both computers.
Disabled User Access Control and Windows Defender on the Vista PC.
Both PCs are using the same administrator username and password.
I've tried network credentials "computer_name\username" and username alone, to no avail.

NG12 says it has successfully deployed the Ghost agent to the Vista PC.

But, when I click "Reconnect" to try and re-establish communication with the backup service on the Vista computer I get these messages:

"This program is unable to connect and communicate with the Norton Ghost backup service on <computer name>"

"Cannot connect to the agent on <computer name>"

So, I can't even remotely see the hard drive on the Vista PC, to begin cloning it.

Where is the agent supposed to be installed on the Vista PC?  When I check Program Files I see no reference to Norton Ghost 12.

One symantec KB I think I came across says to manually install the agent on a Vista PC but gives no instruction as to how to do that.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: NG12: Trying to image Vista Home Basic
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 9:04am

Quote:
So, I can't even remotely see the hard drive on the Vista PC, to begin cloning it.

I haven't personally used the Agent feature of Ghost 12.  But if you can't access the hard drive folders of the other pc and vice-versa, then I would start there.

Make sure you have run the "Setup a Network" wizard on both pc's.  After rebooting both pc's (be sure same workgroup name) open Windows Explorer on each pc and determine if you can browse and see folders on the other pc.

I assume you have read Chapter 5 in the Ghost 12 manual.  It seems very detailed.

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/ghost/12/manuals/ngh_12...

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 9:51am

Ghost4me

Quoted from BerryBear:

Quote:
PC1: NG12 installed on WinXP SP2

and

Is it possible to *clone* a computer over a network connection that does not have Ghost 12 installed on it?!  

I thought Ghost 9, 10, and 12 can only *push* images to a remote server of the system that Ghost is installed on--BerryBear seems to be trying to *pull* an image from a networked computer that does not have Ghost 12 installed on it!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 10:19am

NightOwl wrote on Nov 12th, 2007 at 9:51am:
Is it possible to *clone* a computer over a network connection that does not have Ghost 12 installed on it?!  
I thought Ghost 9, 10, and 12 can only *push* images to a remote server of the system that Ghost is installed on--BerryBear seems to be trying to *pull* an image from a networked computer that does not have Ghost 12 installed on it!

It's more of a mini client/server feature of Ghost 12.  I haven't used it myself.  The "agent" on the remote computer is triggered which then performs the backup.  You might call Ghost 12 a stripped down version of Symantec Backup Exec.

Quote:
Managing the agent through Windows Services
The Norton Ghost 12.0 Agent is a Windows service that runs in the background.  It provides the following:
■ locally running scheduled backup jobs, even when there are no users, or an unprivileged user, logged on to the computer
■ Allows administrators to remotely back up computers throughout an enterprise from Norton Ghost 12.0 running on another computer.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 10:48am

Ghost4me

Quote:
Quote:
Managing the agent through Windows Services
The Norton Ghost 12.0 Agent is a Windows service that runs in the background.  It provides the following:
■ locally running scheduled backup jobs, even when there are no users, or an unprivileged user, logged on to the computer
■ Allows administrators to remotely back up computers throughout an enterprise from Norton Ghost 12.0 running on another computer.

So...you do not have to have a licensed, activated copy of Ghost 12 for each computer?!!!--you can backup any computer on the network!!!--wow!--that's a significant change--if it really works!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 12:10pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 12th, 2007 at 10:48am:
So...you do not have to have a licensed, activated copy of Ghost 12 for each computer?!!!--you can backup any computer on the network!!!--wow!--that's a significant change--if it really works!

Not so fast.  There is no free lunch.   Smiley  From Chapter 5 of the manual:

Quote:
Note: You must purchase a separate license for each computer you want to manage.
You can deploy the agent without a license for a 30-day evaluation. After that time, you must purchase and install the license to continue managing the remote computer. You can purchase additional licenses at the Symantec Global Store.
Visit:
http://shop.symantecstore.com
First, you add a computer's name or IP address to the Computer List. Then, you deploy the Norton Ghost Agent to the remote computer. Once the agent is installed, the computer automatically restarts. After the computer restarts, you can then connect to the computer. When you do, the Norton Ghost product interface changes to reflect the status of the remote computer. At any time, you can switch back to manage your own, local computer.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 2:41pm

Quote:
One symantec KB I think I came across says to manually install the agent on a Vista PC but gives no instruction as to how to do that.

BerryBear,

Have you tried installing Ghost 12 to the other computer?

Quote:
You cannot deploy the Norton Ghost Agent to Windows Vista. You must manually install the agent to computers that are running Windows Vista. After you have manually installed the agent, you can then use Norton Ghost to remotely manage the Windows Vista computer.

You mentioned "cloning". Do you mean create an image or "Copy my hard drive?"

IP Logged

BerryBear
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 7:03pm

I'm not sure what you call it in NG12.  Basically capture an image of the hard drive (to an image file or several image files) so if it ever fails I can put in a new hard drive and deploy that image to it and be back up and running again.

I had't read the user guide yet but did read the readme.htm--where it told me to manually install the agent on the Vista PC, but not how to do it.

So, when I finally located the pdf user guide/manual online, I read it.  I basically installed NG12 on the Vista PC.  I says to install the agent, but the instructions and what you actually see on the gui are different, so I installed the whole thing.

Another issue came up.  I could use the NG12 gui to remotely see the HDs of the Win XP PC, but it wasn't working vice-versa.  On the XP pc, the NG12 gui still had trouble connecting to the Vista PC.  I put in the network credentials correctly but to no avail.  I turned off UAC on the Vista PC and the XP NG12 gui finally remotely saw the Vista HDs.  I haven't played around with Vista enough yet to know how to create exceptions in UAC.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 7:23pm

It sounds like you are almost there. Maybe these two links could be helpful.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1120798529

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1136760727

I'm interested in what you are attempting. I haven't done this with Ghost 12 but I have with Drive Snapshot and Image for Windows. Using WinXP, not Vista.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 8:49pm

Quote:
Another issue came up.  I could use the NG12 gui to remotely see the HDs of the Win XP PC, but it wasn't working vice-versa.  On the XP pc, the NG12 gui still had trouble connecting to the Vista PC.  I put in the network credentials correctly but to no avail.  I turned off UAC on the Vista PC and the XP NG12 gui finally remotely saw the Vista HDs.  I haven't played around with Vista enough yet to know how to create exceptions in UAC.

BerryBear, you shouldn't have to turn off UAC.  If you have some other firewall besides Vista's, such as Norton Internet Security or ZoneAlarm, you may have to turn it off while you test, or verify it is not blocking your local network.

To verify that your local network is setup properly in Vista, open:
Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center.

Verify that you have these settings:
Private Network

Network sharing ON
File Sharing ON
Public Sharing ON (or OFF)
Printer Sharing ON (or OFF)
Password Protected Sharing OFF   (important!)
Media Sharing OFF

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 9:17am

Ghost4me

I know you have not used this feature--so my questions are *rhetorical* to other members of the forum looking for input from experience:

Quote:
Quote:
Note: You must purchase a separate license for each computer you want to manage.
You can deploy the agent without a license for a 30-day evaluation. After that time, you must purchase and install the license to continue managing the remote computer.

*Or else* what happens--the *agent* stops functioning?

How are the licenses *installed*?--to the networked systems with the agent--or to the *server* system?

Is this *30 days* trial period available on each new system that the *agent* is deployed to--or is part of the *30 days* before activation is required for the originally installed Ghost 12 program on the *server* system?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 10:45am

Quote:
*Or else* what happens--the *agent* stops functioning?

I assume so.  I was just quoting from the Ghost 12 user manual starting on page 75:
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/ghost/12/manuals/ngh_12...

Quote:
How are the licenses *installed*?--to the networked systems with the agent--or to the *server* system?

I think they are *pushed* to the remote client.  Or you can install from the CD.

Quote:
Is this *30 days* trial period available on each new system that the *agent* is deployed to--or is part of the *30 days* before activation is required for the originally installed Ghost 12 program on the *server* system?

I assume it works for 30 days on that remote client, and then (unless activated) stops working on that remote client.  That would imply you could test it on various configurations before buying each license.

Again, I'm just summarizing how it appears to work, since I haven't used that feature.  Hopefully someone that has used it can respond.

Personally, I think Ghost 12 has some features (such as this) that 99% of retail or small business customers would never use.

Norton Save & Restore 2.0 really does what most consumers would want.  Not sure why Symantec has released two very similar products for same target buyer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print