Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Network boot disk advice (Read 17076 times)
scj6771
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

usa

Network boot disk advice
Nov 14th, 2007 at 7:48am

Ok so here is the readers digest version, I am looking for a network boot disk that will allow me to access my Ghost share, I was using The Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk which worked like a charm and was extremely fast, my problem is that now with the new Lenovo laptops I am getting in (X61, T61) this trusty method that I have relied on for years is no longer working, (not picking up the network card) and even with the new version just released it still fails.

So I decided to give UBCD4Win and BartPE a try, however I find these to be very bloated and not so user friendly, I understand that I can turn off plugin's but it still weighs in pretty heavy, and once I got a thumb drive loaded with BartPE I found it difficult to get anywhere on the network, getting errors like "multiple connections can not be made" I could not even map a network drive. I did like the simple method for adding network drivers and BartPE was able to work with the new machines, but like I stated before getting anywhere on the network was tough.

All I want from this is a simple method to boot into the network using a thumb drive and quickly access my Ghost share.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Network boot disk advice
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 9:52am

scj6771

Quote:
I am looking for a network boot disk that will allow me to access my Ghost share, I was using The Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk which worked like a charm and was extremely fast,

Doesn't that boot disk have the option to add new DOS NIC drivers?

Quote:
I did like the simple method for adding network drivers and BartPE was able to work with the new machines

So, it must have the needed NIC DOS driver for your laptop's NIC--if you can find that driver--add it to the The Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk!

Or, determine the NIC controller for your Lenovo laptop, do a Google search for that company, and you should find DOS drivers in the download area for that NIC controller.  Add those to the The Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk.

This resource may help in determining what DOS driver files you need to look for--and you could use it to create a *custom* networking boot disc of your own--rather than the *bloated* versions you are downloading:  How to Create a Ghost 8.0 Network Boot CD

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

scj6771
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

usa

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 10:21am

Thanks NightOwl, yes the Universal TCP/IP Network Boot disk gives you the option to add the drivers but the technique is extremely completed (for a newb like myself), you have to use a tool called UHARC, anyway I played around with it a bit but could not figure it out.

BartPE would not work at first until I added the needed drivers, but for that the task was simple.

IP Logged

scj6771
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

usa

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 1:45pm

Ok, I got BartPE to work but I am unsure of how to get Ghost working to image the machine that I am booted up with using BartPE.

If I start ghost32 and select the drive that I mapped and select the image I want, the only device that shows up to image is the thumb drive itself E:\. Is it possible to image the same machine that you are using BartPE with?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 1:51pm

scj6771 wrote on Nov 14th, 2007 at 1:45pm:
Ok, I got BartPE to work but I am unsure of how to get Ghost working to image the machine that I am booted up with using BartPE.

If I start ghost32 and select the drive that I mapped and select the image I want, the only device that shows up to image is the thumb drive itself E:\. Is it possible to image the same machine that you are using BartPE with?

scj6771,

Are you using plain BartPE or the more sophisticated Reatogo XPE?

Do you have SATA HDs and have you added the drivers to BartPE?

You can certainly image your HD partitions with BartPE and ghost32.exe.

IP Logged

scj6771
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

usa

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 2:14pm

I am using BartPE v3.1.10a, yes I have SATA drives and no I have not added the drivers, but it does pick up the drive which shows up as the Ramdisk B: and the USB drive shows up as C: and then there is a BartPE which shows up as X:

If I need to add the SATA drivers where do I place them? Thanks for your help.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 2:24pm

For each computer you plan to use the BartPE with, put their SATA drivers in a folder, any name you like, and copy those folders to the BartPE pebuilder3110a\drivers\SCSIAdapter folder. Then rebuild your BartPE.

Network drivers go to pebuilder3110a\drivers\Net as you already know.

IP Logged

scj6771
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

usa

Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 2:47pm

Thanks Brian, that worked out great! Can I somehow build it with the Ghost server drive already mapped? Thanks again.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 2:53pm

Are you using the Ghost plugin or running ghost32.exe directly from the USB stick?

IP Logged

scj6771
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

usa

Reply #9 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 2:55pm

I am using the Ghost plugin. I boot into BartPE, map a drive to the Ghost share, open Ghost32 and drill down to the mapped drive.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 3:06pm

OK. Just checking.

I don't think BartPE remembers any settings after it's shutdown. I'm not sure if you can map a drive before you build BartPE. I doubt it.

IP Logged

kickin
N00b

I Love Radified!

USA

Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 2:21pm

scj6771 wrote on Nov 14th, 2007 at 7:48am:
Ok so here is the readers digest version, I am looking for a network boot disk that will allow me to access my Ghost share, I was using The Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk which worked like a charm and was extremely fast, my problem is that now with the new Lenovo laptops I am getting in (X61, T61) this trusty method that I have relied on for years is no longer working, (not picking up the network card) and even with the new version just released it still fails.

i'm using bart's network boot disc and also have plenty of IBM/Lenovo T20 - T61 systems. I update the disc with new drivers about every 6 months. i'm attaching the updated cab file for you to drop into your \lib\ndis folder which works with many of the intel pro 1000 cards.

** BE SURE TO RENAME THE FILE FROM ZIP to CAB and then let the disc re-compile itself for the first boot!!!

Let me know if you need anything else. if by chance the auto detect feature does not work, manually choose that nic and it should work fine. i can also recompile it for you if the autodetect doesn't work. first, look in device manager, choose the intel nic, choose properties, choose the details tab. look for the string that says "pci\ven_8086&dev_xxxx". The xxxx is a number which the autodetect feature of the boot disc looks at when scanning the nic. send me this number and i can add it to the cab file.

e1000.zip (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 2:52pm

Bart Bootable PE CD also gives you an option at the beginning to
to Press F6 function key to boot SATA drivers from a floppy disk.
but this is a one time solution.
Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

scj6771
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

usa

Reply #13 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 2:32pm

Thanks kickin, that did the trick. This will make things alot easier on me.

IP Logged

kickin
N00b

I Love Radified!

USA

Reply #14 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 2:41pm

scj6771 wrote on Nov 21st, 2007 at 2:32pm:
Thanks kickin, that did the trick. This will make things alot easier on me.

glad that i could help!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print