Send Topic Print
Cloning with Ghost 10 (Read 4994 times)
PBXMAN
N00b

I Love Radified!

Southbend, Indiana

Cloning with Ghost 10
Nov 16th, 2007 at 10:30am

Wonderful forum guys. Need help cloning a hard drive. I have 2 laptops and I am planning on getting 6 more, and they are all the same make and model. I am trying to clone its 80 GB hd to the 80GB hd second drive. I spent 2 weeks placing all apps on laptop and working out all bugs. My pres bought me a 500GB usb ext hd to place a complete copy of the 80GB drive on. I also purchased a usb to sata adapter and a usb hub to connect all of this to my desktop computer. I plan to sys prep the 80GB drive once i can work out the cloning process. Reading your threads I found I had to unpartition the 500GB to be able to clone the 80GB hd to it wasting 420GB of space. I am doing that currently. 1st question is when I try to send it back to laptop #2 hd, which is only 80GB will I have a problem going from 500GB to 80GB (of course this would be done after I unpartition hd #2). 2nd question If this does work it would appear to be a waste of the 500GB hd because I cannot partition it or do anything that would mess it up as a clone. All I want to do is have a working copy of the 1st laptop that is sysprep that I can restore at a moments notice. Not a back up ie. image but an entire working copy. It would be nice if it was a bootable CD/DVD that I could throw in the laptop but a ext hd copy will work just as well. My current copy process is telling me that it has 10 hours remaining. Please help me. SOS.....SOS....ex-navy squid.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Cloning with Ghost 10
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 11:12am

PBXMAN

Ghost 10 is not the *best* imaging program for *cloning*--it can be done, but this alternative may work better:

On your Ghost 10 installation disc, in this directory:  X:\I386\SHELL\GHOST\RESTOREGHOST.EXE is that *restoreghost.exe* program.  It is *ghost32 v8.2* that is a Windows ported version of the DOS version of Ghost--which does cloning much better (in my opinion  Wink ! )

So, with your set up--first you do not want to *clone* disk-to-disk* your syspreped HDD to your external USB HDD--as you already mentioned--it wastes all your HDD space.  Re-partition and format the USB HDD so you can use the whole HDD in Windows.

Hook up your syspreped laptop 1's HDD to the adapter on the desktop along with your USB HDD.  Boot to Windows.  Run the above mentioned Ghost32 v8.2 program (you can copy that program from the disc to your HDD so you don't have to use the disc every time--I rename it to *ghost32.exe*!).

Use *Local > Disk > To Image*, select your laptop HDD in the adaptor as the source, and save the image file to the USB HDD as destination.  (By the way, in your set up--you would not *have to* use the USB HDD as destination--you could store that image on your desktop's HDD as long as their is adequate space!)

Then, shut everything down.  Replace the laptop 1 HDD with laptop 2 HDD.  Boot back to Windows.

Now load the Ghost32 v8.2 program and use *Local > Disk > From Image*, select the stored image file on the USB HDD as the source, and the laptop 2 HDD in the adaptor as the destination.

Shut everything down, place that laptop 2 HDD in laptop 2 and boot it--did it work?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

PBXMAN
N00b

I Love Radified!

Southbend, Indiana

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 11:18am

Thanks. I'll give it a whack.

IP Logged

PBXMAN
N00b

I Love Radified!

Southbend, Indiana

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 11:28am

In the below comment:

(By the way, in your set up--you would not *have to* use the USB HDD as destination--you could store that image on your desktop's HDD as long as their is adequate space!)

Could this be a network location ie. raid array, san, optical, etc...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 11:30am

PBXMAN

If Windows has access to that location, then Ghost32 should show that location in its interface too--but don't quote me on that--you will have to load Ghost32 and *see*!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

PBXMAN
N00b

I Love Radified!

Southbend, Indiana

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 11:37am

10-4!! I loaded it and it sees my Z: network drive.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print