Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 7 & Norton Ghost 2003 (Read 9651 times)
DaddySam
Ex Member

Norton Ghost 7 & Norton Ghost 2003
Nov 16th, 2007 at 4:33pm

A few years back I was using Norton Ghost 7.
I still keep all the setup files for this program.
But since, I shifted to Ghost 9 and I have been using it for a few years without any problem.

However the reservations expressed here on the Forum about Ghost 9, 10 etc... have picked my curiosity.

As far as I can remember, Ghost 7 used to boot to DOS before doing the Backup/Restore Operations (same as Ghost 2003).

Does anybody know how it compares to Ghost 2003 which apparently enjoys the universal approval of this Forum ?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Norton Ghost 7 & Norton Ghost 2003
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 7:42pm

Quote:
However the reservations expressed here on the Forum about Ghost 9, 10 etc... have picked my curiosity.

DaddySam,

No reservations here mate. All the Ghosts, DOS and Windows versions, are excellent.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2007 at 9:28am

DaddySam

Quote:
Does anybody know how it compares to Ghost 2003 which apparently enjoys the universal approval of this Forum ?

Well...you are in the *DOS based Ghost forum*--which includes Ghost 2003--so you can expect a biased crowd here!

Basically--all versions of *Ghost* perform well for most of the folks, most of the time.  Yes there are glitches for some--usually when one tries to do something that's out of the range of supported procedures--i.e. mostly user mistakes--and occasional hardware/software incompatibilities!

Major DOS based Ghost advantage--you do not have to be booted to some form of Windows to use it!

Major Windows based Ghost advantage--you don't have to boot to DOS to use it!!!

What can I say--different strokes for different folks  Wink !

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

AdvX
Dude

Radified Rocks!

Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2007 at 11:38am

i never used ghost 7 so i can not compare it to ghost 2003.
i think ghost 2003 (personal use) and ghost 8.2 (buisness use) are mentioned more here on this forum because they are the last versions that use DOS to do backup/restore operations. and because they are the last ones, they are probably more mature than their predecessors. what i mean is that they have less bugs than older versions before them.

and the main reason why people keep using them is because they are rediculessly fast. it took me less than 4 minutes to restore a four GB image with my self created bootdisk where ghost 9 takes about 10 minutes to only load the boot disk and it has not even started the restore process. (slow like hell). i don't know about the new version 12 though. it might be a lot faster than version 9.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2007 at 1:43pm

I think there may be a bit of confusion here
at the time ghost 9(Drive image)was given with another Cd ghost2003(ghostPE.exe)
this was the time when they(Symmantec ) bought the rival company.
ghost 2003(ghost PE was still DOS base and it boms out of window to Dos
which creates a virtual partition which causes a lot of problems some times
the personal edition tends to mark the drives and some times cause
boot prob .
I think ghost 7 understood the NTFS file system and was very small
a lot of manufacturers at the time used it to recover the system by producing 1 or 2
recovery CDs which used ghost.exe(version 7.5)eg E-MACHINE ADVENT PACKARD BELL

here are 2 floppies that can be used with ghost 7 as it is small enough to fit on to one floppy
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=14127&pid=95397&mode=threaded&s...
the first is inter active floppy the second is recovery floppy.

if any of this info is not accurate I do apologize
and hope some of the experts will correct it .
Regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2007 at 2:23pm

Quote:
As far as I can remember, Ghost 7 used to boot to DOS before doing the Backup/Restore Operations (same as Ghost 2003).

Correct. In terms of the cloning part of things, those are different versions of basically the same program.

The two are a little different in other ways, because 7 was mostly sold as a corporate product with Windows-based network cloning/management console parts (much like the current corporate version sold as Ghost Solution Suite 2.0, although it's grown a bit since then).

After Symantec Ghost Enterprise 7.5, we wrote the single-user Windows setup program to hide the Ghost Boot Wizard and allow for a "one-click" backup and it was sold as a consumer product - Norton Ghost 2002 - and then refreshed it a year later as Norton Ghost 2003.

Quote:

Ghost 2003 is newer than 7, it was released just before 8.0

Internally there's a version code in the .GHO file that says what version of Ghost made the image (so that as we expand the image format we can always restore older versions) and Ghost 2003 actually slots itself into the version numbering as "7.6" since its source code was taken during the transition between 7.5 and 8.0 of the main corporate Ghost product.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 3:24am

I have used Ghost 2002 in the past and the only difference compared to Ghost 2003 that I remember having an impact on my usage was that Ghost 2002 can not write an Image to a NTFS partition. To clarify, it can create an Image of a NTFS partition BUT it can not write to a NTFS partition. The target partition has to be FAT 32. I believe it's the same with Ghost 7 but I don't know.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 2:14pm

Ghost 2002 was internally branched from the 7.0 code, and indeed identifies itself as 7.0 in the image files it outputs (in other words there are no image format differences). Corporate 7.5 was the first version with a full internal read/write NTFS implementation that allowed images to be put on NTFS volumes from DOS, and Ghost 2003 inherited that.

IP Logged

AdvX
Dude

Radified Rocks!

Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 6:14am

nbree, you make it sound like you work for symantec, ghost division. how else would you have so much expertise about ghost. or am I wrong? Wink

Than maybe you could tell me which ghost version you prefer and why.

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 2:06pm

AdvX wrote on Nov 20th, 2007 at 6:14am:
you make it sound like you work for symantec, ghost division.

I do indeed - should say so on my forum profile, in fact - and have been working on Ghost since 1997. That said, I'm primarily responsible for the Windows console and client in the corporate versions, not the cloning engine itself to which many others made more contribution than I did.

I don't have a favourite version of Ghost as such; for Ghost itself I can use the latest in-development version which is pretty much by definition the best one going. I do miss the Ghost 2003 Windows UI though, and I wish we could bring it back since it'd fit well into the next version of GSS. Not to be, alas; our plates are pretty full as it stands.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print