Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Image Creation A LOT Slower from Boot CD (Read 6958 times)
fijinelsonq
Ex Member

Image Creation A LOT Slower from Boot CD
Nov 21st, 2007 at 2:47pm

Hello,

I have been able to create a Ghost bootable CD but when creating an image it is extremely slower when running from the Boot CD then when initiating the process through the Norton 2003 Windows installation. This happens when creating a partition image to another partition, or to another USB drive. Usually it would take about 5 minutes and now it is taking about 35-40. Also, ghost is able to start up fine in dos but there are several errors detected before program begins. When the "config.sys" and "autoexec.bat" call the following commands, these are their respective error messages:

Device=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl
     Error Message (No Drives found, aborting installation.)
Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v
     Error Message (USBASPI: Invalid Parameter String)
Device=di1000dd.sys
     Error Message (ASPI Manager not installed)
mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /m:16 /v
     Error Message (Device driver not found: 'nightowl'. No valid CDROM device drivers selected)

Since GHOST is able to run, should I just ignore these errors? Could this be causing the slow performance?

Last question! I want to replace the version of Ghost, to Ghost32.exe and see if I could get better performance, but that file is 5mb in size. How could I fit that into the bootable CD limit of 2.44mb?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: Image Creation A LOT Slower from Boot CD
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 1:50pm

Check the syntax on your CD driver file install command.

From my own Ghost boot disk, in the config.sys file:

device=idecd.sys /D:mscd001

And from the Autoexec.bat file:

mscdex /D:mscd001

Only your driver program is different.
use the same designation "/D:mscd001" as I've used and try it again.

I tried to use Ghost32 from a boot disk in DOS and got an error message that the program could not run in DOS.  You may want to use Ghost 8.3, 2005 if you need an updated version of Ghost.

I personally use Ghost 2003 to back up my own SATAII drive to a backup drive, flash drive, external drive or DVD with NO problem what-so-ever.

Whatever drives my motherboard can see.....Ghost 2003, build 793, will also see.  NO special drivers needed.

Good Luck,
Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Image Creation A LOT Slower from Boot CD
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2007 at 12:47pm

fijinelsonq

Quote:
This happens when creating a partition image to another partition, or to another USB drive.

Are you even able to save an image to the USB HDD?  The error messages suggest that USB DOS drivers are not being loaded!

Quote:
Device=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl
    Error Message (No Drives found, aborting installation.)

That suggests that there are no IDE optical drives detected...and if *oakcdrom.sys* does not find any optical drives, then *mscdex.exe* will not be able to assign any DOS drive letters, and I would expect this error message:

Quote:
mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /m:16 /v
    Error Message (Device driver not found: 'nightowl'. No valid CDROM device drivers selected)

Quote:
Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v
    Error Message (USBASPI: Invalid Parameter String)

The above command line looks okay--is it possible that your system only has USB 1.x?  You could try removing the * /e* parameter (that parameter forces the Panasonic DOS USB driver to only mount USB 2.0 controllers).

And, if *usbaspi.sys* is unable to mount any USB mass storage devices, then i would expect the following error message from *di1000dd.sys* which assigns DOS drive letters, but only to mounted USB devices:

Quote:
Device=di1000dd.sys
    Error Message (ASPI Manager not installed)

Quote:
Since GHOST is able to run, should I just ignore these errors? Could this be causing the slow performance?

I doubt it.

Quote:
Last question! I want to replace the version of Ghost, to Ghost32.exe and see if I could get better performance, but that file is 5mb in size. How could I fit that into the bootable CD limit of 2.44mb?

Ghost32.exe is not a DOS program--it's a 32 bit Windows based program--it has to run from a command window from within an active Windows OS.  You can use Ghost32 to do any Ghost function from Windows--except it can not back up the Windows OS partition that it is running from.

There must be some other problem that is causing poor performance.  When you use the Windows interface to set up Ghost, you are still closing Windows, and re-booting to DOS--and using *ghost.exe*--so it's not the Ghost program that's at fault!

Post the content of your [config.sys] and [autoexec.bat] files--and a list of boot files--maybe we can see a problem.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print