Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
szee switch question (Read 8403 times)
michaelil
Ex Member

szee switch question
Nov 27th, 2007 at 11:03am

Hello
I'm trying to restore image via GhostCast server. What I want that the restore proccess will be automatically as much as possible. I'm trying to use szeE switch but I haven't success.
Example of what I do: (image to disk)
1. in the command line of GhostCast: -clone,mode=restore,src=@mcTEST,dst=1,szee
2. i'm booting to dos with network support in the client machine and typing:
   ghost -ja=TEST -jaddr=clientIP

What i Have:
ghost launches, connects, BUT I receive a windows which asks me to define partitions size on my client server.
As I understand the "szee" switch must auutomatically add partition sizes (same sizes that i have in my image), but it doesn't work ;(
I don't want to receive this window, somebody know how to solve this little problem???

Thanks.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: szee switch question
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 10:45pm

michaelil

Quote:
somebody know how to solve this little problem???

Not a lot of corporate Ghost users here--some, and maybe someone with more experience will come along.  But...

It looks like you are calling a Ghost server session--it's possible that the *szee* switch only works on the command line if you are performing a *local* Ghost procedure and the image is specified by its actual location as opposed to accessing the image through the Ghost server.

Look at the *session* commands--is there settings there to specify how the image is to be deployed that will control the partitioning?

Or, perhaps adding the *-sure* switch at the end of the command line will by-pass that user intervention screen:

Code:
-clone,mode=restore,src=@mcTEST,dst=1,szee -sure 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 5:32pm

-szee is a flag-type switch that goes by itself; it's not a part of the -clone switch (none of the various forms of -sze are, they all go by themselves separate from -clone).

What has me really confused is that you shouldn't be putting the -clone switch into GhostCast anywhere. The -clone switch is built invisibly by GhostCast for you.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 9:26pm

nbree

Quote:
-szee is a flag-type switch that goes by itself; it's not a part of the -clone switch (none of the various forms of -sze are, they all go by themselves separate from -clone).

If that's the case, then the examples given at the end of this FAQ would appear to be incorrect:  Switches: Cloning

Starting with example #7, all the *sez* switches follow a coma!  Should they be like this:

-clone,mode=restore,src=@mcTEST,dst=1 -szee

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 10:23pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 28th, 2007 at 9:26pm:
Starting with example #7, all the *sez* switches follow a coma!  Should they be like this:

That's true, but that syntax should be considered deprecated (most of the KB articles on symantec.com aren't up-to-date, and I don't believe anyone here in New Zealand has the ability to edit them).

The -clone switch is REALLY badly designed, and this is an example of a particularly dumb piece.

GhostCast builds -clone itself internally, and send it as the first part of a command line down to Ghost, with any "advanced" options joined on after it. Ghost only processes one -clone switch in the multicast situation, and it's always the first one (which GhostCast builds); if another one appears, Ghost ignores it, and in addition GhostCast recognises any -clone that you enter and actually chops it out in favour of the one it builds.

The code around all this is spectacularly crazy.

Anyway, the other thing that might be involved is -sure; something I didn't pick up from in the original message is that the poster doesn't say whether szee is actually working or not, but just wants the confirmation screen to go away (which is what -sure or -batch do).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print