Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost image restored to wrong drive. How do I recover? (Read 7778 times)
rcstryker
Ex Member

Ghost image restored to wrong drive. How do I recover?
Nov 28th, 2007 at 10:26am

The problem I facing is as follows.

I have two hard drives connected to my system. I will refer to them as A and B. I had previously taken a Ghost image of drive A and wanted to restore this image to the drive. However, both the drive were connected to the system when the restore occurred and the image got restored to drive B. Hence I have lost the data I had on drive B.

The operating system in use is Windows XP.
The version of Ghost used is Norton Ghost 2001.

Please let me know if any data recovery can be done on drive B. I really hope someone answers in the affirmative to this request.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost image restored to wrong drive. How do I recover?
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 10:41am

rcstryker

Quote:
I really hope someone answers in the affirmative to this request.

I would say that the outlook is *not good*!

Ghost probably has over-written all data from the beginning of the drive to the point where the amount of data from the image file ends--so if the HDD is 80 GB and the data in the image file was 10 GB, then the first 10 GB of the destination HDD has been over-written--and any original data in that first 10 GB will not be recoverable with any *standard* recovery tools!

Now, if there is data beyond that first 10 GB, Ghost probably did not over-write it unless special switches or parameter were used rather than default settings--and recovery tools will be able to access that (you want to discontinue use of that HDD so more data is not over-written by addition writes to that drive!).  But, it's hard to say how recoverable and usable those file may be--depends on how fragmented files where between the first 10 GB and the rest of that HDD.

Recovery companies may be able to *see* the over-written data using special tools that can detect the *remnant* magnetic shadow of that previous data--but that's beyond the average user!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

rcstryker
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 10:54am

Thank you so much for the reply. Seems things are not looking too good for me.

The image file size here is 2.5GB and the drive B that was over written was of 120GB. The data is primarily comprised of a lot of digital images. Would professioal data recovery services be able to recover a fair percentage of these images. Are there any software solutions that can be used by the average user to attempt recovery or would you advise against me trying anything and rather go with the prfessionals.

Thank you so much once again for replying.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 11:22am

rcstryker

I have no personal experience with data recovery like this.  Here's a Google search:

do it yourself data recovery

This company seems to have a good reputation:  DIY DataRecovery

They have a *Support Forum* where you can post questions--you might want to explain your situation and see if they think their programs might work.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print