Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem Burning an existing image on DVD (Read 13282 times)
Rubberduck
N00b

I Love Radified!

Problem Burning an existing image on DVD
Dec 11th, 2007 at 11:47am

Hya'

I made an image with ghost 8.2 DOS. The original size of the data on the imaged drive is 7.35G.
Using ver8.2 i spliced it to 2G files (with the AUTO option and got 3 *.ghs files). All was fine till here. When i burned it on DVD (using nero 7 and it's built in bootable DVD option)naturaly i needed 2 DVD's since i do not posess a duel layer DVD writer.
When i did a test run to see if it works, i got an error, probably because it couldn't find the other images. (it didn't request me to change disks)
1. Where did i go wrong?
2. Is there a way to do this with bootable DVD and nero builtin Bootable DVD option?
3. Why doesn't ghost request me to place the second disk with the rest of the images?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Problem Burning an existing image on DVD
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 1:29am

Rubberduck

You seem to be using DOS Ghost 8.2, and not Ghost 9, 10, or 12--so I moved your post to this forum.

Quote:
When i did a test run to see if it works, i got an error,

It would be helpful to have you explain what *test* you ran, and have you take the time to write down the error message, and post it here so we have some idea of what exact problem you have experienced.

Let us know that and maybe we'll have something to go on, and can address the other questions.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Rubberduck
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 11:39am

Hi,
the test i ran was a restore procedure with ghost 8.2 to an empty HD, same size. (basicly i tried to clone a HD from an image i made earlier).
the error i got was that the restore failed, (i'll try some how to write it down tomorrow) and in my opinion, due to ghost not finding the rest of the image files on the second DVD (i guess that's the problem but i don't know what i did wrong).

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 1:14am

Rubberduck

Quote:
the error i got was that the restore failed

So, you can load Ghost--and you find your optical drive, and you can load the *xxx.gho* file, and begin the restore process--and then you get the error?

When you access the optical drive--is it mounted with the *@....* designation for the drive--or is it being given a DOS drive letter to access the optical drive?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Rubberduck
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 3:05am

Quote:
So, you can load Ghost--and you find your optical drive, and you can load the *xxx.gho* file, and begin the restore process--and then you get the error?

yes.

Quote:
When you access the optical drive--is it mounted with the *@....* designation for the drive--or is it being given a DOS drive letter to access the optical drive?

The image is listed under it's dos drive letter.

IP Logged

Rubberduck
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 3:26am

The Error is:

Application Error 27076
ghost has detected corruption in the image file. please perform an integrity check on the image.

i used the same image only this time i recoverd the image using a HD and not DVD, and it worked.

IP Logged

Rubberduck
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 3:52am

I've attached the error file from ghost... Smiley

GHOST.zip (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 9:21am

Rubberduck

Quote:
Application Error 27076

ghost has detected corruption in the image file. please perform an integrity check on the image.

Did you attempt the integrity check on the files on the optical discs?  Results?

Strange--the Ghosterr.txt records a *different* text for the same error message:

Quote:
Date   : Thu Dec 13 03:41:01 2007
Error Number: (27076)

To confirm that the problem is a corrupt image file on the optical disc--you could copy the files from the optical discs to a sub-directory on a HDD--and then see if Ghost will successfully use those files from the optical disc and now on the HDD for recovery--I suspect the same error will now occur.

Quote:
i used the same image only this time i recoverd the image using a HD and not DVD, and it worked.

I would tend, at this point, to suspect the optical media and/or the burn of the image file to it--looks like something went wrong--trouble shooting the transfer to optical media should be the focus until proven otherwise:

--Re-doing it may be all that's necessary
--Use quality media
--Try a different burning program

When Ghost is working with optical media, it works with the files sequentially from the first to the last--it does not load/or read the whole image first--so if the error occurs early on, it will not ask you for additional files or discs--it errors out and stops.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 8:29am

Several additional suggestions.

Always, clean up and run chkdsk /f on your HD before making a Ghost Image of it.
You don't want to back up disk errors.  Then
always
Verify (Check) your Image for errors after it's made.

You can also set Ghost to make 4 gig files while backing up, so they can be copied to DVD's.

Or, even better, let Ghost write it's Image directly to a DVD, using HIGH Compression.
It will automatically span the image over multiple DVD's.

You'll save a ton of space if you'll run NTFS4DOS from your Ghost boot disk, or from another disk, after booting with your Ghost Boot Disk, to allow you to access your HD from DOS, so you can delete your Pagefile and old restore points before actually running Ghost. 
I do this from several batch files and that cuts the size of my backup file by more than 3 gig's.
After cleaning up my HD from my batch files, I'm still getting an entire backup of my C: drive on a single DVD, using Ghost in its HIGH compression mode.

Then when you want to restore from the DVD, boot up with your Ghost boot disk and access the DVD for the restore.  Works like a charm.

I'm still using Ghost 2003, booted up from a Floppy Disk. 
Doing this, I can get Ghost to put itself on the DVD, thus making it a Bootable Restore Disk.
Toshiba does this for their factory restore DVD's.  Who would'a thunk it?

Happy Ghosting and Merry Christmas!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Rubberduck
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2007 at 4:55am

First of all, i'd like to thank u all for giving your insight on the matter.
I finelly succeded in making the image but not with ghost Cry i used acronis true image.
for some odd strange reason, ghost refuses to work correctly.
Here is a short recap:
1. i have a thinkcentre MTM 8185-nu2 with a factory partition recovery and XP Pro installed
2. i tried to clone the HD with ghost 8.2 & 11.0 (disk to disk), everything went smoth up until i restarted the computer and it got stuck after the POST and didn't load the OS.
3. i spent the whole weekend trying to figure out what was i doing wrong, changing HD computers and hardware, but with out luck.
4. finelly i decided to try a different cloning software i.e. Acronis, and hay presto, it works without a hitch.

to conclude, i still think the ghost is an excellent software, but it's always good to check out the competition..... Wink (hope this helps u all with your IBM cloning...)

one more thing, does anyone know how to make acronis cut the image to DVD size? or 2Giga limit?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print