Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
System/Data Migration to new laptop (from old laptop) (Read 13234 times)
zmdmw52
Ex Member

System/Data Migration to new laptop (from old laptop)
Dec 17th, 2007 at 5:23am

[FONT="Lucida Console"]
Is there any way to migrate my system data (or just data), I know system files migration *most probably* will be a problem because the
(old) Dell Inspiron 6400
laptop has
Win XP Home
, whereas the
(new) ThinkPad R61
has
Win XP Professional
(& both have a different hardware configuration also).
So, I see myself having to re-install all applications from scratch on the new system, ... that I do not mind doing.

The HD has 2 partitions:
C:/

System (Active) part. with Windows & Program files (don't want to migrate/move this).
E:/

Logical (Secondary) partition with data files (I want to move this to the new laptop).

But I have some data as well (amounting to about 25-30 GB, on the E:/ partition) that I would like to move from the old laptop to the new one.

Normally, I use Norton Ghost (2003)/Symantec Ghost (8.2) to make backup images of entire partitions on the same PC.
But, in this case, am not sure how (
*if at all*
) it will work out as it involves 2 different systems  + there is also the *issue* of hidden partitions on both laptops (Dell's System Restore and IBM/Lenovo's ThinkAdvantage utilities, both of which create hidden partitions on the Hard Drive for restoring from).

Any suggestions highly appreciated.

PS:
I was thinking of a USB data transfer cable to migrate data files, but don't have any first-hand experience of how effective this is.
(Don't have any second-hand experience (from friends/colleagues) of this method either).
[/FONT]

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: System/Data Migration to new laptop (from old laptop)
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 9:25am

zmdmw52

It sounds more like a *transfer* of data from one system to another--not actually a *migration*.  Migration usually implies that application and system files are being transferred, and manipulated so they will work on a new system.

Are you creating a new data partition E:\ on the new laptop?  If *yes*, then a Ghost image of partition E:\ on the old system could simply be restored on the new system's E:\ partition, and you should be done.

I would create a *whole disk* backup of the new system's HDD first--I would use the *-ib* (Image Boot) switch to make sure the entire boot region is captured (Sectors 0-62) and not just the sector 0 only (start Ghost with this command line:  ghost.exe -ib).  This is in case something goes wrong--you can restore and start over!  Make sure you verify the image integrity!  (And, I would want a spare HDD to test the restore, to make sure *everything* gets restored and is functional (i.e. the hidden utility and/or restore partitions!))

Then use PartitionMagic to resize the new HDD so there is space for the new E:\ partition, format it so there is a *partition placeholder* in the Master Partition Table.  Then on the old system, create an image to perhaps an external USB HDD of the old system's E:\ partition (Local > Partition > To Image)--and then transfer that to the new system by booting up with USB HHD support and restoring the image to the new system's E:\ partition (Local > Partition > From Image).

Probably could just use an external USB HHD to copy the entire E:\ drive from the old, and then hook up the USB HDD and transfer that to the new E:\ drive on the new system (have to create that new partition first).

Quote:
PS:
I was thinking of a USB data transfer cable to migrate data files,

No personal experience with that--but should work as well!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 5:21pm

Quote:
Then use PartitionMagic to resize the new HDD so there is space for the new E:\ partition, format it so there is a *partition placeholder* in the Master Partition Table.

I didn't get the point about a
*partition placeholder* in the Master Partition Table
. What is that and how do I set it?
(haven't used Partition Magic previously anytime)

Quote:
... create a *whole disk* backup of the new system's HDD first--I would use the *-ib* (Image Boot) switch to make sure the entire boot region is captured (Sectors 0-62) and not just the sector 0 only (start Ghost with this command line:  ghost.exe -ib).

Does the "-ib" switch work for all versions of Ghost? (in particular for NG 2003/SG 8.2)?

Quote:
I would create a *whole disk* backup of the new system's HDD first--I would use the *-ib* (Image Boot) switch to make sure the entire boot region is captured (Sectors 0-62) and not just the sector 0 only (start Ghost with this command line:  ghost.exe -ib).  This is in case something goes wrong--you can restore and start over!

This procedure can be done *after* setting up my User Account with the new OS (Win XP Prof) and installing common additional programs (MS-Office, Firefox, etc.)?
Or should I make an image prior to first boot into Windows installing the above basic software?

Quote:
Make sure you verify the image integrity!  (And, I would want a spare HDD to test the restore, to make sure *everything* gets restored and is functional (i.e. the hidden utility and/or restore partitions!))

=> This would imply that Ghost (used with the *-ib* option) would also be able to "see" and backup/image the hidden "System Restore" partition
(I believe this hidden part. is often a proprietary/different type of File System?)

=> Also, does this mean that the Ghost image integrity check is not fool-proof?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 9:58am

zmdmw52

Quote:
I didn't get the point about a *partition placeholder* in the Master Partition Table. What is that and how do I set it?  (haven't used Partition Magic previously anytime)

In order to use Ghost's *Local > Partition > From Image*, the destination partition has to already exist in order to restore to it.  Ghost will restore the file system formatting that was saved from the original source partition--so it does not matter what file format you use.  You just want the partition to be created and present.

Quote:
Does the "-ib" switch work for all versions of Ghost? (in particular for NG 2003/SG 8.2)?

Yes.

Quote:
This procedure can be done *after* setting up my User Account with the new OS (Win XP Prof) and installing common additional programs (MS-Office, Firefox, etc.)?
Or should I make an image prior to first boot into Windows installing the above basic software?

You can do this at any point in the process of setting up the system that you want a backup image for--so you can make multiple images for various points that you might wish to return to if restoring the image.

Quote:
This would imply that Ghost (used with the *-ib* option) would also be able to "see" and backup/image the hidden "System Restore" partition (I believe this hidden part. is often a proprietary/different type of File System?)

It *should*--but the test restore is to *confirm* that there was no loss of functionality due to some inability of Ghost to work correctly with a non-standard setup or partition type.

Quote:
Also, does this mean that the Ghost image integrity check is not fool-proof?

The *Integrity* check may function fine, but when Ghost restores the image, if there was something Ghost did not fully and correctly *understand* about the file system or partitioning--then the resulting functionality of the restored disk may have incompatibility issues--to be safe, you need to test that possibility--otherwise you're flying on faith alone--and the *reality* may be different!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 5:34pm

Quote:
Quote: (from NightOwl)
PS:
I was thinking of a USB data transfer cable to migrate data files,

No personal experience with that--but should work as well!

For data migration from old --> new laptop, I used this (Jetlan USB-to-USB Data Transfer Cable) successfully. With installation of the drivers and software from the CD, it worked well (though I had to re-boot once after driver install).

From what I have read, it works well enough for
data files
transfer, (did not use it to transfer any
*system*
files) from Win98/WinXP <---> Win98/WinXP machines [had Win XP Home (old laptop) and Win XP Pro (new laptop)].
However, it seems it won't work on Vista PCs (with Win XP <--> Win Vista) ... there are other cables specifically for Vista PCs.

39979.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print