Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 & PW deletion (Read 2958 times)
Sheepherder
Ex Member

Ghost 2003 & PW deletion
Dec 18th, 2007 at 1:27am

I have an older custom built desktop running W2K (single user), w/ floppy and CD (no DVD).  I have a new (~ 8 mo) Toshiba P205 notebook running Vista that I haven't fully setup yet, because I wanted to shrink primary partition more and dual boot w/ XP, but that's another subject for later.  Notebook has no floppy and am very uneasy about whether DVD/CD drive is working properly.  Has read two old pocket CD's, but doesn't recognize new CD-R discs, CD-RW discs, or Logitech mouse setup disc.   Have Toshiba Disc Creator v. 2.0.0.6 that has "Disc to Image" and "Image to Disc" options and Pioneer DVD/RW DVR-K17LF drive.  
I was trying to setup a wireless network for file and printer sharing.  In the process, I STUPIDLY setup a password on the desktop, which I now cannot remember.  Therefore I am locked out of desktop.
I want to either reveal or delete desktop password.  I have been trying to follow guidance at http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/started.html, but am confused.   Never used Ghost 2003 (or any other version) before.  Downloaded copy from Vetusware.com as zip file which when unzipped yielded GHOST2003 dos_bd.exe (1,424 KB).  Noted difference in file name and size from ghost.exe (1,008 KB) in instructions.  Because of difference, I initially assumed I should install Ghost on notebook, but got a screen I didn't know how to deal with, so aborted install.  Why do I need Ghost?  What am I supposed to do with it?  Do I just rename my file ghost.exe and place it on boot disk?  Do I have correct copy?  If not, where do I get one?  Guidance has been clear so far, but I lack experience with Ghost to get over this hurdle.  Please advise.  

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 2003 & PW deletion
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 1:47am

Sheepherder

Quote:
I was trying to setup a wireless network for file and printer sharing.  In the process, I STUPIDLY setup a password on the desktop, which I now cannot remember.  Therefore I am locked out of desktop.

I don't have Vista, but maybe it's similar to WinXP.  I am logged in to and using my main identity in WinXP--during the original WinXP install, I had to set that user id up--but there is a *default* administrator identity in addition to this main user identity--can you force Vista to the login screen and log on using that *administrator* identity--you could then run a password finder program and/or delete that other user account and start over with a new one.

Ghost will not help you with being locked out of a password protected desktop--unless you already have a backup image to restore that was created prior to creating the password protection--then a restore might take you back before that setup!

I don't know of any DOS based password finding programs that will find passwords on an inactive Windows OS--do you?

Quote:
GHOST2003 dos_bd.exe (1,424 KB)

Based on the above file name (bd=boot disk?), it looks like this is a self creating floppy boot disk creator--not just the stand alone Ghost file.  But, as stated above--Ghost is not the tool you need at this point.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print