Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 8.0 Compatibility - maximum HD size? (Read 4894 times)
LarryS
Ex Member

Norton Ghost 8.0 Compatibility - maximum HD size?
Dec 19th, 2007 at 11:01pm

First, thanks to Rad for all the excellent info regarding Norton Ghost! 

I'm using a Ghost 8.0.0.984 bootable CD to make clone copies from DOS.  I have also replaced my boot drive's image a few times to overcome fatal problems.  In other words, I'm using this method as my sole global backup. 

Mine is an older PC, so the old small HD's are about shot.  This also limits me to IDE or SATA drives due to the motherboard.  I want to buy new hard drives and will probably go with a 320 or 500 gb at 7200 rpm's.  500 if I can find it in an IDE drive.

I saw in Symantec's knowledge base on "Ghost Compatibility" that Ghost 2003, 7.5 and 8.0 will clone drives "...over 137 gb...".  However, this statement does not in any way address what the actual maximum size limit is...

So, my question is this:  What is the maximum hard drive size that Norton Ghost 8.0 can clone?

Thanks very much,   

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Norton Ghost 8.0 Compatibility - maximum HD size?
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 11:28pm

LarryS

I think the limitation would be on the BIOS side of the motherboard's chipset and the HDD controller--if they support the HDD capacity--then Ghost will most likely not be the limiting factor!

And, I think you have the option of adding a add-on HDD controller card that could circumvent a BIOS limitation--but, I don't know the current details about that option.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

LarryS
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 12:04am

Rad,

Thank you very much.  I'm looking for the motherboard info now...

Larry S.

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 2:54am

The 137Gb figure comes from the old 28-bit IDE sector address limit (before disk manufacturers introduced 48-bit LBA commands to the ATA specifications). The reason the website says the rather vague "can do more" but doesn't quote an exact figure is that customers tend to take any number as a promise that something will work no matter what. The specific language used tells people who know what 48-bit LBA is that we support it, but doesn't give people who don't a stick to beat us with.

The simple fact is that if the website said the actual number, we know from bitter, bitter experience the result would be nasty complaints about "how we promised it would work" even when cloning Win2k (which didn't support >137Gb) on a machine with a BIOS that doesn't support >137Gb either.

Hence, the vagueness.

I believe the hard upper limit for Ghost 8.0 actually is 2Tb, which comes from the use of 32-bit addressing in some places (2^32 is a bit over 4 billion, times 2^9 or 512 bytes per disk sector) in various places internally, and given the sizes achievable (even with arrays) at the time I can't say for certain that it was actually tested with more than 1Tb. Moving to fully 64-bit addressing internally was done first, with the final changes to the .GHO format to use 64-bit addressing being one of the last parts of that process.

Current Ghost in GSS2 does (and has been tested with) arrays considerably over 2Tb, although that too requires some special conditions to work since the classic MBR doesn't support partitions starting beyond 2Tb.

IP Logged

LarryS
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 3:13am

NBree, thank you for the information.  I read ya'. 

It looks like the actual limiter will be what my mobo will support and that is also one of those fuzzy questions without answers.  I've registered with the ASUS message board and I'll ask the question there:

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe dual channel 333 purchased in late 2002.  It's a homebuilt and I'm trying to get a few more miles out of it as the machine was loaded for bear and surprisingly still works well for 3d vid games, etc. 

Thanks again, 

Larry S.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print