Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ghosting to and from NTFS drives using batch files (Read 7143 times)
ramses505
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ghosting to and from NTFS drives using batch files
Dec 20th, 2007 at 12:12pm

I see how it is possible to specify which folder the Ghost image should be written to or taken from using the usual;

dst=D:\Systems\User.gho -SURE -Z3 -RB

But what if drive D is an NTFS drive - can I still specify a folder or only the drive partition something like this;

dst=1:2\User.gho -SURE -Z3 -RB - dump the partition to an image on the 2nd partition of the 1st Drive in a folder called Systems ?

Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: ghosting to and from NTFS drives using batch files
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 10:17am

ramses505

For NTFS partitions--the Ghost designation of *z:y*--the first number is the drive number *z*, and the second number is the partition number *y*.  This only works for a partition that is NTFS and not assigned a DOS drive letter!  After that, you simply use a standard path statement to a sub-directory.

So, if in Windows, your *D:\* is on a second HDD #2, and the subdirectory is in the first partition in your sample dst=D:\Systems\User.gho -SURE -Z3 -RB , if it's a NTFS partition, the in DOS and Ghost *D:\* would not exist, and the correct path would be:

dst=2:1\Systems\User.gho -SURE -Z3 -RB

Does that solve your problem?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2007 at 7:59am

Ok, I'm lost (again)!

How are you running Ghost and using batch files?

If running Ghost from a DOS boot disk, just run the program and make your drive and partition selections in the program itself.  That gives you so much more flexibility.
Ghost reads NTFS drives and partitions as easily as FAT-32 drives and/or partitions, so that's no problem.

Load Mouse.com before running Ghost and you can use your mouse to make all the selections in Ghost.  Works much slicker that way!

Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2007 at 8:32am

TheShadow

Quote:
Ok, I'm lost (again)!

ramses505's question is regarding using Ghost's automation features--running Ghost from the command-line--so further manual setup is not required--kinda like your batch cleanup programs that you use so you don't have to do everything manually on a repeated basis of a task you do regularly!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 10:18am

I get it!  Thanks.

I'm just an old DOS fan and I like doing things like running Ghost by hand.
Yes, using batch files for cleanup do save a lot of typing.
If you use a batch file to run Ghost, that pretty well fixes what you're going to do and where your going to do it.

I guess I just like the versatility of being able to copy to a hard drive partition using FAST compression or Ghosting to a DVD or Flash Drive with HIGH compression, and giving each Ghost backup file a different name, like "IM122807" for "Image file on 122807".
Then I can save multiple image files on a second HD, for instance, without the new files overwriting the old ones.
Heck, I've still got Ghost Image files going back seven years, tucked safely away on CD and DVD's. 

Ghost Rocks!
Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print