Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Setting the size of the gho file??  How To? (Read 9509 times)
Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Setting the size of the gho file??  How To?
Dec 20th, 2007 at 3:13pm

Recently new to the forum, I have really appreciated the help I have received here. I need some help now in how to set the maximum size of my imaged files in order to burn on a minimum # of DVD's. I have been in options once the ghost program comes up but do not totally uderstand all of the choices. Is this something that has to be included in the batch file when booting, or can it be set each time within the program once it loads? Please, can someone provide some details here?

I have been using the Memorex DVD-R disks 4.7 gig.

Could I please request someone to give me some fairly detailed instructions on how to increase the resulting files to the maximum acceptable limit for a 4.7 gig disk? I have usually been getting multiple files somewhere around 2,147,477,984 for the *.gho file and considerably less for the *.ghs.

I is possible to increase the size in order to maximum file size and minimize the number of disks.  I have been booting with a CD, if that makes any difference. I would be greatly appreciative of any help here.

Thank you

Jerry

IP Logged

chuckh
N00b

I Love Radified!

Re: Setting the size of the gho file??  How To?
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 8:05am

As far as I know, Ghost creates max 2Gig files because that is the max file size DOS supports.  If there's a way to create bigger ghost files please let me know.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 10:35am

jerliz

Here's a couple threads talking about image size for storing on DVD:

Image File Size for DVD Storage

CD/DVD Write Option Unavailable

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 10:38am

chuckh

Quote:
If there's a way to create bigger ghost files please let me know.

If you use Corporate Ghost v8.2 or 8.3, or later, you can overcome the DOS 2 GB size limit.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 12:35pm

Thanks, Nightowl! I love this forum
Jerry   Smiley

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 4:12pm

NightOwl wrote on Dec 21st, 2007 at 10:38am:
If you use Corporate Ghost v8.2 or 8.3, or later, you can overcome the DOS 2 GB size limit.

Only sort-of, because it's not just a DOS limit per se. If we directly write to an NTFS partition, sure, but only because NTFS doesn't have a 2Gb limit. There is no shortage of situations where it's impossible.

The FAT and ISO 9660 filesystems have 32-bit limits (which in most implementations become 31-bit limits due to the use of signed arithmetic in place) baked hard into their formats, and nothing can be done about that.

Ghost's CD-writing code uses ISO 9660, not one of the various flavours of UDF filesystem that are used in larger optical disks to overcome 9660's limits. This is mainly because there is no UDF equivalent to the MSCDEX program to allow UDF to be read in DOS.

In addition I believe the reason that some spans on CD burns end up shorter than 2Gb is related to buffer processing in the CD burn libraries; remember that buffer underruns when writing to read-only media need careful handling! Using smaller spans even than 2Gb is a consequence of this, and if Ghost didn't do it you'd have ended up with a coaster instead.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #6 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 7:36pm

great little tidbit of info, there.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2007 at 7:48am

"to use the minimum number of DVD's"

That's simple.....let Ghost burn the DVD's for you and it will fill each disk before asking for the next one.

Run Ghost in it's natural form, from a DOS Boot Floppy and it will even put itself and the boot info on the first DVD making it Bootable.  Many Factory Restore DVD's (Toshiba) are made like this.

Happy Ghosting!

Merry Christmas!

Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print