Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
System won't return to Windows after using Ghost 2003. (Read 38256 times)
SpellSword
Gnarly

Wandering Swordsman

System won't return to Windows after using Ghost 2003.
Dec 22nd, 2007 at 12:59am

Greetings everyone. (Sorry to have my first post here be a cry for help. Embarrassed)

I’ve run into a problem.

I used Norton Ghost 2003 to try and create a backup image of my drive and everything was fine until it left the Windows section of Ghost and started on the Dos part of the app.

The screen appeared to be frozen only displaying the frame for the program’s GUI not the menus. And the cursor turned into an hour glass and was fixed in the center of the screen, after several minutes of inactivity it displayed this error overlapping the frozen image:
Code:
Internal Stack Overflow
System halted

I had no choice but to terminate the program via reset.  Undecided

Unfortunately now windows does not boot at all no matter what I try.

The HD I was trying to make a DVD Ghost image of is a brand new 500G SATA Western Digital Caviar (WD5000AAKS)

I had just installed WinXP so there was nothing but WinXP & Norton Ghost 2003 on the Drive.

I'm not exactly sure what to do next or what caused Ghost to crash like this. (It's never happened to me before.) So I have no idea how to prevent Ghost from crashing again if/when Windows loads again.

I'm in a real bind, my machines effectively dead for the moment and I’m borrowing a friend’s machine to post this, any help would be greatly appreciated. Sad

When I dream,&&I carry a sword in one hand,&&a gun in the other...

IP Logged

SpellSword
Gnarly

Wandering Swordsman

A Ray Of Hope!
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2007 at 1:10am

Just read this post. It sounds like I may be stuck in Ghost's 'Virtual Partition' preventing my machine from booting the OS. Shocked

I'm going to try one of the fixes listed in the post. I'll post the results.

Still in the dark as to what caused the original crash though.  Undecided

Additional information, I had yet to update either WinXP or Ghost 2003.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: System won't return to Windows after using Ghost 2003.
Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2007 at 1:35am

SpellSword

Looks like you're on the right track--here's some additional resources:

How to use GhReboot

Cannot start Windows after starting a Ghost 2003 task from Windows

How to restart the computer into Windows if a problem is encountered after running Ghost 2003

If the *automated GhReboot* does not work, check this thread on how to use the Symantec Ghost DOS command line partitioning program, *gdisk*, as to how to manually change the active partition back to your original partition:

Ghost 2003 -operating system not found

Other partitioning tools (such as PartitionMagic, or this free tool MBRWizard - The MBR Management Utility that can change partitions from active to inactive, and can hide and unhide partitions--as well as delete partitions from the Master Partition Table--can also be used to manually reset the correct active OS partition for booting!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2007 at 7:39am

Apologies.....I know this is like closing the barn door after the horse has escaped, but.....

Ghost 2003 or Ghost 8.3 (2005) is not a windows program.  It's a DOS program.  Loading that massive GUI interface on your hard drive is redundant at best.  And at it's worse, it can cause problems like the one that prompted this thread.

The problem that prompted this thread would have (could have) never happened if Ghost had been run from a suitable DOS Boot Disk in the first place.  I learned this simple fact many years ago and have never put Ghost on a hard drive since.

I've run my Ghost program(s) from floppy disks, CD's, Flash Drives and even SD Memory Cards.  Running Ghost from some bootable media, bypasses Windows completely so it can't get involved in the process and cause any kind of problems.

Ghost 2003 can only make a bootable DVD if it's run from a floppy disk.  I've used a USB Floppy Drive to do this on newer PC's that don't have a built in floppy drive.  To make a bootable DVD, Ghost looks for the boot info, including itself on A: and A: only.

I had occasion to use a Toshiba factory restore DVD one day and was both pleased and surprised to find it had been made with Ghost.  Ya just never know........

So, SpellSword, if you want or need assistance setting up your own Ghost boot disk, drop me a PM and I'll do what I can to assist you.

Merry Christmas !
Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

SpellSword
Gnarly

Wandering Swordsman

Things are weird, or maybe not?
Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2007 at 11:38pm

Thanks for posting those links NightOwl, I’ve read through them and attempted the fixes, but it 'seems' (Or I'm making a mistake somewhere.) I’m having trouble getting either floppy boot disks or the Ghost CD to detect the drivers properly. (I think...  Undecided)

I tried making a boot disk using Ghost 2003 on another computer using the Norton Ghost Boot Wizard inside the Ghost Utilities section of the windows app. Unfortunately the floppy didn’t appear to load any drivers for the CD-Rom when booted.

I also tried booting off the Ghost 2003 CD and selecting the different driver load setting from the menu it displays. Although it ran through the process of attempting to load several types of DVD/CD-roms none of them loaded.

This left me in the DOS prompt with drives A: & C:

Drive A: Contains:
Code:
IBMBIO.COM
IBMDOS.COM
COMMAND.COM
_BOOT_HD.NOZ
CONFIG.SYS
AUTOEXEC.BAT
MOUSE.COM
OAKCDROM.SYS
BRDOSM.SYS
FLASHPT.SYS
BTCDROM.SYS
ASPICD.SYS
MSCDEX.EXE
MOUSE.INI
ASPIUHCI.SYS
ASPIEHCI.SYS
ASPIOHCI.SYS
ASPI1394.SYS
HIMEM.SYS
GUEST.EXE

Drive C: Contains:
Code:
IBMBIO.COM
IBMDOS.COM
COMMAND.COM
E.EXE
E.EX
E.INI
EHELP.HLP
MOUSE.COM
[GHOST]
----- GHOST Folder Contents
GHREBOOT.EXE
GHOST.EXE
GDISK.EXE
GHSTWALK.EXE
GHWRAP.EXE
BOOTCD.DAT
IMGDESCP.TXT
GSCRIPT.TXT
ARGS.TXT
----- GHOST Folder Contents
AUTOEXEC.BAT
CONFIG.SYS
MBR.BIN
MOUSE.INI

I think this is a bit strange because if it can’t see the CD drive then shouldn’t there only be one drive?  Huh

My DVD-Rom is a:
LG GSA-H62L(Black) SATA LightScribe DVD-Writer 18x DVD+R/-R 8x DVD+RW/6x DVD-RW 10x DVD+/-R9 Dual Layer 48x CD-R 32x CD-RW

I tried the ‘gdisk /status’ command in ‘C:\GHOST\’ … the cursor dropped to the next line as the screen scrolled up and then remained there flashing. No response to farther input, had to reset to free it.

Perhaps it’s time to try editing the partition data through a different program.

I haven’t used MBRWizard before, I am slightly familiar with the partition editing app GParted. (Wiki, Offical Site, LiveCD Version)

I can (If it will boot… *Crosses fingers in advance*) run GParted off a CD/DVD in a temporary linux boot (I’m pretty sure it’s linux) via one of the LiveCD releases and edit the partition… but, I don’t really know what I’m doing.  Embarrassed

What exactly do I have to remove/replace/reset/etc in the HD partition data? I've only done this kind of thing once before. (I split a drive 80G into two 40G drives.)

Can MBRWizard be run from a CD, floppy, etc?

@TheShadow:
Thanks for the offer!  Smiley (And I may take you up on it if I can get my machine working again.)

I’ve burned drive images (I think that is the correct terminology.) using 2003 on other machines without the use of a boot disk and then inserted the burned disc into the machine and booted off it for recovery before the OS loaded. Is this process working without using a boot disk to create the backup abnormal or am I not understanding what you mean?

IP Logged

SpellSword
Gnarly

Wandering Swordsman

And it grows stranger still…
Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2007 at 11:59pm

Additional Information!
It appears that A: ‘is’ the GHOST 2003 CD.  Embarrassed

So why does it not have the same file content as when viewed from other machines in windows?  Huh

When I boot with the CD in the drive, an A: drive is there with the files listed in the above post. With out it there is only a C:

When I boot without the CD it asks in the DOS prompt if I want to run the Ghost operation or return to windows. If I let it try and run the operation it says the last time it tried to run it failed so do I want to
1. Exit to Dos
2. Retry the Operation
3. Exit to Windows.

I exit to Dos and it drops me in the C: described in the above post with no A: present.

Thus I deduce that A: must be the CD, or have something to do with the CD… maybe.  Undecided

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 12:56am

SpellSword

Quote:
My DVD-Rom is a:
LG GSA-H62L(Black) SATA LightScribe DVD-Writer

A *SATA* optical drive would be the problem you are having accessing the data content of the optical disc.  There's a substitute DOS driver that is needed for SATA optical drives.  And the Ghost 2003 installation CD will not have that newer driver--and the Ghost 2003 Boot Wizard does not have that driver either!

Radified Forum Member *ben_mott* posted this information about a new DOS driver that works with the newer SATA optical drives.  *ben_mott makes the statement that the SATA driver is backward compatible with IDE optical drives--but, from other posts I've seen, this appears to be an incorrect statement.  You would also have to load separately the IDE optical DOS drivers too if you also have that type of optical drive:

Ghost 7.5 SATA CD-ROM

Download *gcdrom.sys* here!

Some additional resources:

GCDROM for DOS

SATA optical drive & Ghost 2002 report

Quote:
to test it simply change the name to oakcdrom.sys and put it on windows 98 bootable floppy
either over writing the old OAKCDROM.sys or deleting it before hand to make space.

If you have a floppy disk drive and you have made the boot disk with CD/DVD optical drive support, you could follow *ben_mott*'s recomendation to simply re-name the *gcdrom.sys* driver to *oakcdrom.sys*, and place it on the boot disk in place of the original *oakcdrom.sys* driver.

Once you have access to the data portion of the Ghost installation CD, then you can run the *ghreboot.exe* program.

If you have a floppy disk drive, put a copy of *ghreboot.exe* on a separate floppy disk, then boot to the DOS A:\ prompt, replace the DOS boot disk with the floppy with the *ghreboot.exe* program and run it from the floppy.  If it's going to work, that should solve the problem--if not, then you will have use a *manual* method to change the active partition, unhide the proper partition, and hide the Ghost *virtual partition*!

Quote:
It appears that A: ‘is’ the GHOST 2003 CD.  

So why does it not have the same file content as when viewed from other machines in windows?

A bootable CD has a *hidden* boot sector where the DOS boot files are present.  These files can not be seen with *standard* Windows file explorer programs.  When you boot from a bootable CD, the process creates a *virtual floppy drive* with those boot files--they are now seen as the A:\ drive!  If you have a physical floppy disk drive--it will have been demoted to being the B:\ drive!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

SpellSword
Gnarly

Wandering Swordsman

Looked like it was going to work but... no luck. :(
Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 1:04am

Attempting the fix now.
Will post/edit with results in a moment...   Smiley

Edit, additional question:
When you say -
Quote:
If you have a floppy disk drive, put a copy of *ghreboot.exe* on a separate floppy disk, then boot to the DOS A:\ prompt, replace the DOS boot disk with the floppy with the *ghreboot.exe* program and run it from the floppy.  If it's going to work, that should solve the problem--if not, then you will have use a *manual* method to change the active partition, unhide the proper partition, and hide the Ghost *virtual partition*!

- do you mean I should do this instead of attempting to gain access to the CD via replacing the oakcdrom.sys?

Current Status: Creating boot disk via utility in Ghost 2003...

Edit, additional question:
When you say -
Quote:
If you have a floppy disk drive, put a copy of *ghreboot.exe* on a separate floppy disk, then boot to the DOS A:\ prompt, replace the DOS boot disk with the floppy with the *ghreboot.exe* program and run it from the floppy.  If it's going to work, that should solve the problem--if not, then you will have use a *manual* method to change the active partition, unhide the proper partition, and hide the Ghost *virtual partition*!

- do you mean I should do this instead of attempting to gain access to the CD via replacing the oakcdrom.sys?

Edit, Ran into a problem.
Uh oh. I can't find a gcdrom file on the ghost boot floppy to replace?!
(I'm currently reading over the 'Ghost 7.5 SATA CD-ROM' post again.)

Edit: ok I see my mistake.
I tried to use a Ghost 2003 boot disk. But a Win98 Boot disk is called for.
Luckily for me I have access to a machine running Win98. Smiley
Unfortunately I've never made a boot disk using it before so I'm not sure exactly what to do. Sad

Edit: Found the boot disk making program!
Just skimmed through Windows 98's Help files and found the Start Up Disk maker...
(Won't be long now! Smiley)

Edit: Boot disk ready... Here Goes!!!  Shocked
Interesting, the old oakcdrom.sys file was 41kb the new one is only 3.7K.

Edit: Uh oh! Something went wrong, or maybe it didn't...
It gave me three options:
1. Boot Win98 with CD support. Smiley
2. Boot Win98 without CD support. Smiley
3. ???? (I Forget)  Embarrassed
I choose #1. And it looks like the inserted SATA drivers 'did' load. However, after it had loaded all the drivers the following was displayed on the screen:
Code:
Preparing to start your computer
This may take a few minutes. Please wait...

Data error reading drive A
Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?_

I'm guessing this is because Win98 is not actually installed on this machine.
So my next course of action will be to select (F)ail and tell it to go to A: drive, hopefully the driver for the SATA DVD-Rom is in now.

Edit: Moment of truth!!! Or not...? Shocked
It display the following after I selected Fail:
Code:
Fail on INT 24 - EXTRACT.EXE
Bad command or file name
The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive D.

File not found

to get help, type HELP and press ENTER.

I switched to D: and quickly used the dir command and it displayed this:
Code:
Volume in drive D is MS-RAMDRIVE
Directory of D:\

COMMAND.COM 93,8890 04-23-99 10:22p
README.TXT 14,763 04-23-99 10:22p
    2 file(s) 108,654 bytes
    0 dir(s) 1,981,440 bytes free

Well... that is definitely not the Ghost 2003 CD.  Sad

I'm not sure what to do next in attempting to implement the fix from this disk, it looks like it created a ram drive?   Undecided
I also tried E: just incase the DVD-Rom had been placed into the next drive mount, but unfortunately it was not.  Sad

Attempt to fix via Boot Disk - Current Status:
- Creating boot disk via utility in Ghost 2003. (
Done
-
Wrong Boot Disk Type...
Embarrassed)

- Building Win98 Boot Disk (
Done
)

- Replacing 'oakcdrom.sys' on disc with renamed 'gcdrom.sys' file. (
Done
)

- Attempting Fix using modified Win98 Boot Disk (
Fail
)

IP Logged

SpellSword
Gnarly

Wandering Swordsman

Ok, what is the next move?
Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 4:09am

Here’s what the HD looks like as seen by GParted (LiveCD) V0.3.4-11:
Code:
Partition: unallocated | File System: unallocated | Size: 465.76 GiB | Used: --- | Unused: --- | Flags: 

Well, that’s not good… It looks like GParted can only see one partition… actually it looks like it doesn’t see any… and some of the space on the 500G drive is gone!  Huh

Something is wrong here. *Shrug.* Undecided

It appears GParted probably isn’t going to work to fix this with my level of knowledge. Sad
It may have been the version of GParted I tried to use. I couldn’t find my old disc so I made a new one with the most recent release.

Can you walk me through the process of using MBRWizard or another partition editing app to switch the active partition and delete/merged the two partitions into their proper single partition? (If I understand what I’ve read: Ghost 2003 makes a temporary partition then deletes it when the Ghost operation finishes and re-adds the virtual partition’s size to the main one. If I’m wrong please tell me.)

Or did I make a mistake in my attempt with the boot disk?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 9:58am

SpellSword

Quote:
Quote:

Yes!  The SATA DOS driver for your optical drive appears to be giving you problems--we can sort that out later--if you have a floppy drive, then that should give us the faster route to hopefully resolving the *virtual partition* problem.

Quote:
The HD I was trying to make a DVD Ghost image of is a brand new 500G SATA Western Digital Caviar (WD5000AAKS)

You also have a SATA HDD--you might have to make a setting change in your BIOS in order for DOS based programs to access the HDD during DOS boot sessions--you would then probably change it back to the Windows optimized setting when you want to use WinXP.  Here's a resource that discusses SATA HDD access issues with DOS and Ghost:  Re: Bootable cd without floppy

SATA HDD access in DOS is probably the problem that has *trapped* you in the *virtual partition*!--and perhaps is causing this lack of response from the *GParted (LiveCD) V0.3.4-11*:

Quote:
Here’s what the HD looks like as seen by GParted (LiveCD) V0.3.4-11:
Quote:
Partition: unallocated | File System: unallocated | Size: 465.76 GiB | Used: --- | Unused: --- | Flags:

Well, that’s not good… It looks like GParted can only see one partition… actually it looks like it doesn’t see any… and some of the space on the 500G drive is gone!

Hopefully, if we get the correct BIOS setting, that issue will get resolved--and the size reported in one OS may be different in another OS environment--they may use different methods of calculating HDD size!

Quote:
Can you walk me through the process of using MBRWizard or another partition editing app to switch the active partition

Yes, but first--do you have a floppy drive--just making sure?!

And, what are the BIOS settings for SATA HDD access--what choices to you have?

IP Logged

SpellSword
Gnarly

Wandering Swordsman

Attempting Fix!
Reply #10 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 10:28am

I do have a floppy drive. Smiley
I’ll attempt the fix where I load ghreboot.exe onto a boot disk and then run it from A: immediately and post the results.

I’m not sure of what my BIOS settings are.

Edit, ???.
The Boot disk loaded Ghost, and crashed of course...
I dropped it to the Dos prompt last time I did this before ghost started, somehow...  Undecided
Retrying!  Smiley

Edit, Maybe if I...  Undecided
I'll try a different type of Boot Disk.
This time the Ghost 2003 'CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost'.

Edit, Same result.  Shocked
Ok building Win98 Boot Disk and reattempting.

Edit, Doesn't look good...
Code:
1. Booted from Win98 Boot Disk, used SHIFT+F5 to drop/exit to Dos Prompt.
2. Swapped Boot Disk for Disk with ghreboot.exe.
3. Ran ghreboot.exe.

It seems to have frozen. The screen scrolled up by one line and the cursor dropped below the previous line into the lower right corner of the screen and remains there flashing.
I'll give it 10 more minutes, then I'll exit/abort via reset.  Sad

Attempt to fix via Boot Disk using ghreboot.exe on floppy - Current Status:
- Creating 'Standard' Ghost boot disk via utility in Ghost 2003. (
Done
)

- Inserting 'ghreboot.exe' onto additional Disk. (
Done
)

- Attempting Fix using Boot Disk & additional floppy. (
Fail
)

- Creating 'CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost' Ghost boot disks via utility in Ghost 2003. (
Done
)

- Attempting Fix using new Boot Disks & additional floppy. (
Fail
)

- Building Win98 Boot Disk. (
Done
)

- Attempting Fix using Win98 Boot Disk & additional floppy. (
Fail
)

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #11 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 11:11am

SpellSword

Quote:
I’m not sure of what my BIOS settings are.

If you do not set your BIOS to allow for DOS access to the SATA HDD, all attempts to use a DOS based program to access the HDD will fail!  That includes attempting to load Ghost because the first thing Ghost does is scan the system's available HDD controllers and attached HDD's, and *ghreboot.exe* will not work unless it can access the SATA HDD's in DOS, and if you try to load MBRWizard, GDisk, FDisk, or any other DOS utility--so you need to go into the BIOS and find out what options are there, and what the current setting is!

You can go into the BIOS usually by hitting the *Delete* key during the initial POST sequence--or some systems you press F10 or F1 keys--need to know what those options are before you proceed!  You don't need a boot disk at all to inspect the BIOS settings--and until we know what the options are, simply do not make any changes and nothing will be effected when you exit the BIOS--no harm, no foul!

IP Logged

SpellSword
Gnarly

Wandering Swordsman

Entering BIOS.
Reply #12 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 11:14am

Entering BIOS now.
Will post settings in a moment.

Edit, In BIOS.  Smiley
What am I looking for?

Additional Information:
I have an ASUS P5K-Premium motherboard.

Will post displayed settings in a moment. (*Typing them now.*)

---Main---
Code:
System Time	     ['The Time']
System Date ['The Date']
Legacy Diskette A [1.44M, 3.5 in.]
Language [English]

> SATA 1 [Not Detected]
> SATA 2 [Not Detected]
> SATA 3 [Not Detected]
> SATA 4 [HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GS]
> SATA 5 [WDC WD5000AAKS-07Y]
> SATA 6 [Not Detected]

> SATA Configuration <-- Deeper Menu
> System Information <-- Deeper Menu

Edit, Adding SATA Configuration's Menu.

---SATA Configuration---
Code:
SATA Configuration	   [Enhanced]
Configure SATA as [IDE]

Hard Disk Write Protect [Disabled]
SATA Detect Time Out (Sec) [35]

There are 4 other menus: Advanced, Power, Boot & Tools.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #13 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 11:30am

SpellSword

Most likely *SATA Configuration*--options there?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #14 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 11:35am

SpellSword

When you edit a previous post--I may not notice that you have changed it--I don't necessarily go back and re-read those prior posts--I'd recommend new posts so it's obvious that new information is being added!

So, the two choices are *Enhanced* and *IDE*--no others?  If no other choices, I'd set it to *IDE* until done attempting DOS access.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print