Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 Internal Error 25002 (Read 29200 times)
zergkiller
Ex Member

Ghost 2003 Internal Error 25002
Dec 26th, 2007 at 7:51pm

Howdy.

This morning, I woke up to find that my computer wouldn’t fire up.  It's been years since that happened.  There was some kind of message about “lsass.exe” which wouldn’t execute.  After researching on the internet and reading posts, I couldn’t find anything that seemed to work, so I decided to use my three week old (verified) Ghost 2003 image.  Ghost has always worked in the past for me.

My computer has XP Pro, 80 G hard drive with four partitions.  The Ghost image is on E and my OS is on C partition.

I used a 3.5 floppy to boot into DOS and started copying over the C partition.  But Ghost stopped somewhere in the middle and cried “Internal error 25002.  An internal inconsistency has been detected.”  My research on that error says that the drive/partition/image file(?) is too fragmented, but I don’t think so.  Anyway, by now, I don’t have any operating system to boot up with.  My most valuable files are on D, E and F, however.

My thinking is that I have to rebuild my C partition, but I’m not sure.  I can’t imagine what could have changed, since my computer is the same now as it was when I made the image.  I don’t think I have a virus, nor do I think my C partition was too fragmented, but what can I do?  All my software and Norton AV are/were current.  Adaware has recently been run and Spybot too.  One thing I can say is that my image wasn’t compressed.  In the past, I’ve compressed it to a medium level, or at least I think I did.  

So from this come many questions.  I don’t know whether to use Ghost again, that’s for sure.

1)      What could cause this situation?  Can I repair the trouble?  I read things that could have caused the lsass.exe error could be memory sticks (I have 384M) and other things.  Could the uncompressed image be larger than the available space?

2)      If I can’t fix it, do I have to completely erase the C partition?  If so, how?  I don’t have any OS to work with.  I have f-disk and a Windows boot up disk and have used them before, but only for completely rebuilding the hard drive.

3)      Could I just pretend that the partition is blank and re-load NT and then XP Pro?

I hope there’s a good answer in this.

Zergkiller

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 2003 Internal Error 25002
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 9:20am

zergkiller

Quote:
This morning, I woke up to find that my computer wouldn’t fire up.

That always makes your heart sink to your stomach--never a good feeling!

So, the computer fires up, but WinXp loading fails somewhere during the process.  And DOS fires up, but Ghost fails somewhere in the process of a restore.  Can you run an *Integrity* check on that image--does that *fail* too?

Quote:
My thinking is that I have to rebuild my C partition, but I’m not sure.  I can’t imagine what could have changed, since my computer is the same now as it was when I made the image.

You have had two different OS environments (WinXP from the HDD), and DOS (from a boot floppy) fail sometime after the initial boot--I would be thinking intermittent hardware problems causing a software failure--did you try booting WinXP more than once and always get the same error at the same time?  Same question about Ghost--same error at the same point in time?

Quote:
One thing I can say is that my image wasn’t compressed.  In the past, I’ve compressed it to a medium level, or at least I think I did.

Not likely the problem.

Quote:
1)      What could cause this situation?  Can I repair the trouble?  I read things that could have caused the lsass.exe error could be memory sticks (I have 384M) and other things.  Could the uncompressed image be larger than the available space?

Hardware failure would be my first guess.  Open up the system and re-seat the memory module.  Try a DOS memory test program--memtest86+.

Quote:
2)      If I can’t fix it, do I have to completely erase the C partition?  If so, how?  I don’t have any OS to work with.  I have f-disk and a Windows boot up disk and have used them before, but only for completely rebuilding the hard drive.

Test your memory first.  You can simply over-write the C:\ partition with the backup in the Ghost image file--but Ghost has to be working first!

Quote:
3)      Could I just pretend that the partition is blank and re-load NT and then XP Pro?

The installation routine will over-write an existing install--if you tell it too--but, again, I think your problem is elsewhere!

Let us know how you progress.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

zergkiller
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 11:43am

Well, the bottom line is that my computer’s back up and running.  I hadn’t done anything wrong, but there was something I didn’t know.

The way it happened was thus:

As long as I’ve had Ghost, there were discussions of “flags” or “switches” or whatever they’re called. Since I never used them, and all my attempts at understanding what they were encountered the pious and haughty language of writers who think I should already know what they’re talking about, I had my own set of beliefs as to what they were.

My research on the 25007 error had mentioned a command line of ghost.exe –ntc-, but I had always thought these things were for industrial strength masterminds who ran big company computers.  And somewhere I believed that I had to determine my wishes when the original install took place.  This command had the reputation of forcing Ghost to copy the defragmented clusters (whatever that means) in spite of their being defragmented.  The word “defragmented” caught my attention.

The boot up disk I use has always immediately shown me graphics with no opportunity to vary the order of things, but this time, I made some incursions into “options” and some other menus I had never investigated.  No luck.  Then: “Something wonderful happened”.

My optical mouse is hooked into my computer by a series of jacks and adapters.  I don’t know why, I just follow instructions.  Sometimes, it isn’t really making good contact and doesn’t get involved in boot up, so, no mouse.  And this is what happened.  I ended up in the Ghost process with no mouse, and just because I didn’t know what else to do, I hit “return” key.  Lo and behold, the DOS screen opened up, and I had, for the first time ever, the opportunity to enter something on a command line.  I entered the ghost.exe –ntc- command.  With my C partition scrapped, I figured I couldn’t lose anything.

The A drive floppy started clicking away.  I remembered the “click of death” syndrome, and I almost ejected the floppy.  But after many seconds, the screens with which I was accustomed appeared.  And all proceeded normally after that.  Except that my computer took about four and a half hours to do something that should have taken only about an hour.

So there’s the story.  Maybe someone will read this and save time and anguish.  If I read things correctly, Ghost 2003 shouldn’t have this problem, and, by the way, after all of the updates had been installed, I used the Microsoft disk defragmenter in Computer Management to check the level of defragmentation on C, and was informed that the volume did not need defragmentation.  Go figure.

I can’t believe someone answered my post in less than 24 hours.  Thank you Nightowl.

Oh, a long time ago, I used Ghost to save my bacon, and then did a defragmentation check on the resultant C partition.  Ghost had completely defragmented the file.  Perhaps that’s what happens when you use some form of compression to create the partition’s Ghost file.  

I find “Computer Science” to be heavily laced with superstition.

Thanks again,

Zergkiller

IP Logged

iam hwangsir
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 3:33am

Before ghost partition to image , NO  MS Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print