Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Will Ghost write a FAT32 partition image to an NTFS partition (& restore back) (Read 10848 times)
zmdmw52
Ex Member

Will Ghost write a FAT32 partition image to an NTFS partition (& restore back)
Dec 28th, 2007 at 1:36am

I would like to image a 5 GB FAT32 Partition to an NTFS (Secondary/Logical) partition (both are on the same HDD).

Would Ghost (am using NG 2003) be able to do this and subsequently also restore from the image (
Note
that the original partition which is FAT32 would be stored as an image file on an NTFS partition on the same HD).

Also, will there be any problem in restoring this image?

If anyone has an imaging experience with NG in a similar situation
(i.e. FAT32 original part --> imaged onto --> an NTFS part)
; please to share your inputs.

Thank you

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Re: Will Ghost write a FAT32 partition image to an NTFS partition (& restore b
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 7:36am

zmdmw52 wrote on Dec 28th, 2007 at 1:36am:
I would like to image a 5 GB FAT32 Partition to an NTFS (Secondary/Logical) partition (both are on the same HDD).

Would Ghost (am using NG 2003) be able to do this and subsequently also restore from the image (
Note
that the original partition which is FAT32 would be stored as an image file on an NTFS partition on the same HD).

Also, will there be any problem in restoring this image?

If anyone has an imaging experience with NG in a similar situation
(i.e. FAT32 original part --> imaged onto --> an NTFS part)
; please to share your inputs.

Thank you

I have done this with GSS Ghost32. Not sure you will be able to do it with NG 2003.

Rama

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 8:47am

zmdmw52

Ghost 2003 has no problem doing what you outlined--it can *see* and create images of a NTFS partition and/or FAT partition, and save it to either FAT or NTFS partitions.

And, Ghost 2003 can *see* an image file stored on a NTFS partition, and restore an image file saved from that NTFS partition.  The file system that will be restored will be the file system that was saved to the image file from the original source--so if there is a file system already that differs from that original source--it will be over-written and reformatted to match the original source file system!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 11:26am

Thanks, that helps. Did create the image from NTFS --> FAT32 partition.
Have to check if it can be restored as well.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 2:59pm

If you're running Ghost manually and not from a batch file, then do a "Check" (verify) on every backup file after the backup process has finished.
There is No use leaving Ghost if the backup file is no good.

When using Ghost 2003, you should also be using build 793 and not any earlier versions.
That gives the best compatibility with the newer motherboards.
That's also the last version that will fit on a floppy disk, with OS, Mouse.com and any batch files you may want to use.
When using Ghost 8.3 (2005), build 1331, I set it up on a bootable flash drive, then burn that to a CD with Nero 6.  I'm told it has several advantages over Ghost 2003.

Happy New Year!
Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 9:28pm

Quote:
If you're running Ghost manually and not from a batch file, then do a "Check" (verify) on every backup file after the backup process has finished.
There is No use leaving Ghost if the backup file is no good.
Can you point me to relevant websites/threads on an Introduction (beginner-level) on how to create and run batch files?
(I am quite ignorant (& that may be an understatement) of DOS & therefore of running 'scripts').
(Started working with PCs and Windows (when I began a 2-year Master's Program) only in 2002-have very little knowledge of DOS/other OS's)

Quote:
When using Ghost 2003, you should also be using build 793 and not any earlier versions.
How can one check the build (as opposed to version) number (as highlighted in Quote above) of Norton/Symantec Ghost?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print