Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 2003 and DOS (Read 26379 times)
zmdmw52
Ex Member

Norton Ghost 2003 and DOS
Dec 28th, 2007 at 1:55am

I had a question about this:

When one uses a Norton Ghost 2003 (or Symantec Ghost 8.2) Bootable CD, Ghost (NG/SG) boots into the so-called
*DOS environment*

As I understand it, DOS does not
*recognize*
/
*see*
NTFS partitions & can only recognize FAT (16/32) partitions. However, SG 8.2 (used from a boot CD), could detect (*see*) the NTFS partition, and moreover write an image of both: a FAT32 and an NTFS partition to a secondary partition on the same HD.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Norton Ghost 2003 and DOS
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 8:52am

zmdmw52

That is correct--DOS as an OS is not designed to *see* the newer NTFS partitions--DOS only works natively with FAT partitions--but Ghost running under DOS does have the ability to work with NTFS partitions.

Ghost 2002 was the first to be able to *see* and save an image of a NTFS partition--but could only save to FAT partitions--NTFS partitions could not be the destination for the image file.

Ghost 2003 was upgraded to being able to both create and save NTFS partitions to either FAT or NTFS partitions as a destination for the image file!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 9:47am

One great advantage to running Ghost 2003 or 8.3 (2005) from a DOS boot disk is that you can also do some pretty massive cleanups on your HD before making the Ghost backup.

Once you've booted up your system into DOS, you can run a program called "NTFS4DOS" which will allow you to see the files and folders on your NTFS HD from the DOS prompt.
I've written for myself, a few little batch files to remove crapola from the HD before backing it up.  I've added those batch files to my Ghost boot disk.

What files, you may ask.  Well there's the Pagefile.sys which can be 1.5x the size of your installed RAM.  On my PC that's three gigs.  Then there's all the old Restore Points, that can also take up a huge amount of space, and of course all the temp files, etc. that Windows stacks up on your HD.
By cleaning up all this junk, you can get your Ghost backup into much less space than if you did nothing.  I'm still getting my own Ghost backup onto a single DVD, or 4 gig Flash Drive.

So many options are available to anyone wanting to be a bit inventive.

Ghost rocks!

Happy New Years Everyone!
Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 11:32am

Quote:
What files, you may ask.  Well there's the Pagefile.sys which can be 1.5x the size of your installed RAM.  On my PC that's three gigs.

What would be the ideal page file size on a PC, with for eg 3 GB of RAM.
I have read different rules of thumb suggesting X 1.5 to X 2.5 the amt of installed RAM. Some people do not run a Page File at all.
What would be the ideal (with respect to amt of RAM in the system) & is there any logical basis to Page File size allocation?

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 6:26pm

First, you don't need to clean out the pagefile or hibernation files for Ghost's benefit, in any case. The data in those files never goes into an image (the file name will appear in it, but the data is always left out and takes no space because Ghost knows it's not important to keep).

Quote:
is there any logical basis to Page File size allocation?

Yes, although it's quite complicated to work through all the details. Here's an incredibly simplified sketch of what's involved in modern OS's..

Every process involves data of several kinds; a lot of it is able to be shared between processes, like the executable code in DLLs. That stuff is read-only, and is already sitting around in files already, and so doesn't involve the pagefile. The other main kind is private data, unique to that one specific process, and that does involve the pagefile.

The first thing to understand is that the pagefile initially set up for you by the OS is done the way it is to reserve the space. It can grow later if needed, so the initial allocation isn't critical. However, because the pagefile sees an awful lot of traffic it's one of the worst things in the system to have fragmented. And extending the pagefile is extremely slow, and while it's being done the program that triggered the growth can't run at all, which is bad if it's time-critical. Hence, the beefy initial allocation to stop that situation potentially happening.

The second thing is that programs themselves tend to work similarly; they ask the OS to reserve room for them to grow into later, since when programs start they don't know what they will be asked to do in future while they run. Since asking for more memory is slow, and since programs would have to handle being told they can't have more (in which case they may have to outright fail) modern programs end up asking the OS for a large amount of potential room at startup so they can avoid asking later.

[
Sidebar: This fact these are the same pattern is not an accident. This pattern recurs all over the place inside various sub-parts of computers; inside programs, on disks in filesystems, everywhere.  And indeed, it's not just in computers.

Allocating space isn't something unique to computers; it's basically a kind of box-packing problem. Packing problems have been studied for centuries, and are a big part of the field of operations research. Packing problems are almost uniquely hard to solve, and they get harder still when you add dynamic change into them!

So what most systems do - initially reserving more than they need - is a way of making those packing/scheduling problems simpler and more tractable. Fragmentation, by the way, is a general feature of packing problems too; it's not just a thing that's an issue for disks, it's everywhere you look.
]

The end result is that when a program asks for some "memory", what the OS actually does is just mark out a section of the pagefile for it to potentially use in future. The pagefile has to be big enough to cope with this "headline" figure of all the memory every program wants to reserve for future use, just in case.

Now, within those reservations, at any point in time there's the amount of memory that the programs have actually done something with thus far, as opposed to merely having reserved for the future. Windows calls this committed memory, and the total amount of committed memory in the system is the "commit charge".

And within that number, there's the amount that any one program is using right now, or at least within some recent time, as opposed to data that it's done something with but not recently. This number is called the working set, and this is the number that is displayed as "Mem Usage" in the "Processes" tab of the Task Manager in Windows XP, and the operating system is dynamically recomputing it all the time based on what you do.

Data in the working set has to be live in the actual physical memory so that the CPU can work on it; so, that number represents the contribution from programs to the load of physical memory. The programs are all competing not only with each other, but also with the part of the OS that looks after the disks and caches file data for that memory, and the OS is trying to balance the constantly changing demands.

The working set is usually much, much smaller than the commit charge. By evicting data that's not in the working set of one process, the OS makes room for another process or for itself to use to accelerate file access. Making room for caching the filesystem is hugely important, and that's why you normally want a lot more physical memory around than the working set load, and thus why the working set computation matters.

The end result is this:
- in theory, if you know what specific programs you run and how many, you can size the pagefile's reserve capacity to suit that particular workload (or indeed, elect to run without one, although that's generally a really bad idea because it blocks the OS using physical memory for disk cache, so it hurts performance). If you're doing that you're also sizing your physical memory carefully too!
- in reality, almost no-one knows what they want to run or what those programs need to use, and so virtually everyone leaves it up to the OS to estimate something.
- the OS default estimate is based on how much physical memory is installed on the basis that if you have more memory, you intend to run more programs with it, and so the pagefile is proportional to the installed physical memory size.

Basically, for most people, it's best to just leave the OS alone to do its thing. Don't even think about it.

Quote:
What would be the ideal (with respect to amt of RAM in the system)

There isn't one. Really, there isn't.

For very specific applications, for specific purposes, it's possible to end up with very specific needs that are worth tuning. Embedded uses of computers tend to be like that, since they are typically running a small range of programs with known characteristics, what you do in that case is measure the load and then tune based on those measurements.

Otherwise, for home computers put to unknowable workloads, it's really just a matter of guesswork. The default guess made by the OS is just one that they know isn't a bad guess for most people (since if it was, it'd become obvious across hundreds of millions of machines that they did get it wrong). So, unless you have a very specific reason to, it's best to leave that alone.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 2:47pm

A pretty good explanation.

My thoughts have always been, since the invention of the pagefile (or swapfile) is that the MS programmers surely know more about that stuff than I do, so I just leave it alone.
I just let Windows set the size of the pagefile and then manage it as it sees fit.
That has served me well all these many years.
At this moment mine is at 3.145 gigs.  Windows will re-size it if necessary.

At bootup, I direct Windows, through a registry tweak, to load its Kernel into ram, so the pagefile is not needed for that, nor does the OS have to go back to the old slow hard drive every time it needs something from the Kernel.  That greatly speeds up the operation of windows XP.

As for my deleting the Pagefile before doing a Ghost backup, it's just force of habit I guess to eliminate all the junk before I do a backup.  Running the "Delete the Pagefile" batch file takes all of two seconds so it's no big deal, whether I actually need to run it or not.  Wink

I never use Hibernate on any system, so removing or not removing the Hiberfil.sys is also no biggie.

The second greatest advantage to doing a nice clean backup is that after I do the backup, I immediately do a restore......re-writing my C: drive in perfect order and eliminating all spaces and fragmentation.  When I reboot, XP will make itself a new pagefile always putting it at the end of the data.
Then my HD looks like this: (as seen by Windows Defrag/Analyze )

So that also answers the age old question "What's your favorite Defrag program".
My answer to that is, "Ghost 2003".

The blue area is obviously the DATA from the Ghost Image and the Green is the Pagefile, re-written by the OS on the first re-boot after the Ghost Restore.

Doing the restore takes me only about five minutes and most defrag programs won't do as good a job and take longer to run.

Happy New Year Everyone!
Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 7:59pm

TheShadow wrote on Dec 29th, 2007 at 2:47pm:
My thoughts have always been, since the invention of the pagefile (or swapfile)

You've been around a long time then Smiley

The first "commercial" computer credited with actually having demand paging was the Ferranti Atlas, circa 1961, and the idea was around in research in the late 50's.

Check out the Atlas Computer Laboratory, built to house the machines and the staff to run and program them. That site is a treasure trove of history and well worth poking around in, and the photos from the 60's are ... well, priceless.

Quote:
At bootup, I direct Windows, through a registry tweak, to load its Kernel into ram, so the pagefile is not needed for that

The DisablePagingExecutive one? Actually, what that really does is more complicated than that, and it has more to do with drivers than anything else. The kernel code itself is almost completely locked in memory regardless. Still, as long as you have enough memory it's relatively harmless, unlike disabling paging completely.

Implementing demand paging in an operating system is tricky because if you are, for instance, in an interrupt service routine and a page fault occurs you can't go to the disk to get the missing page (because the machine isn't in a state to do anything until you complete the interrupt handler). That's bluescreen territory, game over. In fact, many Windows bluescreens are from buggy drivers whose developers used the above tweak when developing them (because it makes debugging them easier).

Quote:
Doing the restore takes me only about five minutes and most defrag programs won't do as good a job and take longer to run.

While that's mostly true for the main file data, there are other kinds of invisible fragmentation in NTFS (and it's truly invisible, no tool reports on it) that Ghost 2003 doesn't entirely completely resolve.

As I noted, fragmentation is a universal property of putting things into containers. And the data about files in NTFS goes into containers (and containers of containers...) too, and that means this can get fragmented too. Indeed, the data that says where the other data is can have this happen (one of the effects of files being fragmented is you need more data to describe where all the pieces ended up instead of a simple "start at this cluster, X clusters long" run description, so this is a perniciously self-reinforcing problem).

When restoring, Ghost has to extensively rewrite all this metadata to ensure it stays consistent and describes the new disk layout. Now, by defragmenting the data, that means that potentially the file meta-data that describes where the other file data is can end up having a completely different structure.

Ghost 2003 is limited as to what it can do in the way of structural rewrites on the metadata, especially if a really large amount of fragmentation of the attributes has occurred. It tries hard, but in some cases what you'll end up with is all the data together on disk (which solves the externally visible *symptoms* of fragmentation) but the meta-data will be more complicated than it strictly needs to be.

[ Incidentally, the 25002/25003 type of internal errors in Ghost result from nasty corner cases of this same kind of fragmentation. If the state of the filesystem before imaging was bad enough, Ghost's meta-data rewrites end up in some chicken-and-egg messes. ]

So, if you defragment regularly, all will stay well. But once the filesystem on a disk passes a certain extreme level of fragmentation (which is hard to quantify exactly) it's sometimes beyond Ghost to undo it all.

Combine that with the fact that Ghost doesn't have access to some of the kind of statistical information an on-line tool can use to optimize placement (as tools like Diskeeper do), there's definitely plenty of room for specialized defragmenters in the toolbox.

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 8:03pm

nbree
Thanks for the detailed description of how Memory and Applications are handled in Windows !

So, if I understand the somewhat detailed notes correctly:
"commit charge" = total amount of memory from the Page File (or is it RAM ?), allocated to all programs currently running.
"working set" = amount of memory (RAM) actually being used currently (or very recently used) by all programs (currently running) corresponding to "Mem Usage" in Task Manager.
Quote:
The end result is this:
- in theory, if you know what specific programs you run and how many, you can size the pagefile's reserve capacity to suit that particular workload (or indeed, elect to run without one, although that's generally a really bad idea because it blocks the OS using physical memory for disk cache, so it hurts performance). If you're doing that you're also sizing your physical memory carefully too!

Based on the above 2 parameters ('Commit Charge' and 'Working Set'), would one be able to arrive at a *rough* approximation for how much Page File to use?
[I do know things get speeded-up if one locates the Page File (PF) on a different partition, other than the "System" (*Root*) partition ... even better if on a separate Physical Hard Disk (provided one has 2 Hard Disks in the system)]
Or are there some other factors that need to be taken into account? I more/less know what apps I use on daily basis (about 5-6 at the maximum, and none as CPU- or Memory-hungry as image-editors/video-editors or games), so I should be able to calculate the 'commit charge' and 'working set' and from there to calculate the (roughly ideal) Page File.

With respect to this discussion, I think you may find the following Programs useful (if not already aware of them):
Process Explorer (Freeware)
Can calculate these + a number of other System Performance indicators.
CachemanXP (pervious versions Freeware, now Trialware)
"Optimizes" RAM based on your inputs to it's wizard. (No manual calculations required).

Quote:
(TheShadow)At this moment mine is at 1.572 gigs.  Windows will resize it if necessary.
How much RAM do you have?

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 30th, 2007 at 3:00am

zmdmw52 wrote on Dec 29th, 2007 at 8:03pm:
"commit charge" = total amount of memory from the Page File (or is it RAM ?), allocated to all programs currently running.

Correct, from the page file. The page file is the primary store for process-private storage; executables are the primary store for things that are shared.

Your physical memory is primarily a cache for those things; every page in physical memory comes from either a regular file, or is attached to the pagefile.

Quote:
"working set" = amount of memory (RAM) actually being used currently (or very recently used) by all programs (currently running) corresponding to "Mem Usage" in Task Manager.

Correct.

The importance of this is that when a program does something which causes a page to be read in from disk, room needs to be made for it and something else gets discarded; not written out, discarded.

Part of the process of working set computation is "cleaning" pages in memory; if they have been written to, meaning that they are different from what's currently on disk, they have to be written to disk to keep the disk and memory in sync. After the write, the page stays valid and can still be used by the program and brought back into the working set without needing to hit the disk - this is called a "soft" page fault.

Quote:
Based on the above 2 parameters ('Commit Charge' and 'Working Set'), would one be able to arrive at a *rough* approximation for how much Page File to use?

Indeed. Just remember, if you truncate the page file to some number and the demand ever exceeds that the page file will be grown, and it will probably be fragmented, and that's bad.

Quote:
[I do know things get speeded-up if one locates the Page File (PF) on a different partition, other than the "System" (*Root*) partition ...

I think you'll find that generally not to be the case. Having it on a separate partition will generally cause more head movement to seek between the pagefile containing process-private space and the executables containing the shared data. That's bad.

Quote:
even better if on a separate Physical Hard Disk (provided one has 2 Hard Disks in the system)]

That does work, because traffic to and from the pagefile for private data and traffic coming in from executables for shared data won't be contending with each other over the position of the disk heads.

And it's even better if the two are on disk channels that can run separately. That's why in days of yore, it was common for some systems to have a dedicated, high-performance SCSI disk just for paging, just as it was for database servers to have such a dedicated disk for the database recovery log.

Quote:
I think you may find the following Programs useful (if not already aware of them): Process Explorer

Heh. Like most serious developers of software for Windows I use Process Explorer almost daily, and have for years along with the other SysInternals tools.

The other one you mentioned, well - most of what it claims does not represent the way operating systems actually manage memory. It may or may not actually do something useful, but quite frankly I wouldn't touch it or any one of the dozens of other utilities that make similar claims.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #9 - Dec 30th, 2007 at 9:20am

zmdmw52 - Ex Member

Hmmmm.....how'd that happen?!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2007 at 5:31pm

Nbree,
I bow to your Ghost expertise.....
just one detail that maybe I failed to put into this thread (I've said it so many times before, I loose track)  is that I never use NTFS.  Some of your responses referred to that format.

I'm too much of a control freak to ever trust my data to an NTFS partition.
The day I upgraded my OS from Windows 98/SE to XP-pro, I made the decision to keep my FAT-32 format and I've never regretted that decision  for even one second.

Yes, I've been at this stuff way too long.  Growing up with vacc. tube processors in the 60's, transistors in the 70's and finally the PC and LSI in the 80's.  The first computer I ever got my hands on filled two floors of a five story building and heated the entire five story building.  Roll Eyes

I built my first PC, an Intel 8088 with 64K of ram.
MS DOS 2.0 was the best I had available then.

Well, that was then and this is now.  
I've been using Ghost since 1997.  The little "Ghost Now" icon in my sig line should be familiar to you.  

I just did my HD cleanup and Ghost backup and restore earlier this evening.
If there's a downside to using Ghost Restore to do my defragging for me, I've never seen any, in all the hundreds of times I've done it over the years.

Ghost rocks!

Happy New Year Everyone!

Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 30th, 2007 at 6:15pm

Quote:
I never use NTFS.

Ah, righto. For FAT, you're correct that Ghost *is* as good as it gets as a defragmenter.

But while that's a valid decision for you to make for yourself, it's not the primary filesystem used by most people any more - in fact, the main reason it's not in effect gone completely from the market is that some notebooks still ship with FAT32 system partitions (I suspect largely for reasons of manufacturing process).

FAT does have its place, although I do wish that the transition between FAT and NTFS was smoother, as it was in OS/2 with the EA_DATA.SF containers used to wrap up the HPFS extended file attributes and allow them to be tunneled through.

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 12:51am

TheShadow wrote on Dec 28th, 2007 at 9:47am:
I've written for myself, a few little batch files to remove crapola from the HD before backing it up.I've added those batch files to my Ghost boot disk.

Shadow,
Could you please post them (batch files/code) somewhere (if it's legal to do so), with brief instructions on how to run them from a boot disk/floppy?

Linux User 483705  |  (openSUSE 11.1,  Ubuntu 9.04,  i686)   w/ Windows XP
jaylinux  
IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 9:32am

Hi Guy!
I saw a few posts back (re-reading this entire thread today and correcting some errors in my own posts) that you were listed as an Ex-Member. Sad
What's up with that?

I can do you one better.  My latest version of my XPCleanup.bat program is available for download from my web site.  Also there, for download is the "Deltree.exe" program, not included in XP, that's required to run the cleanup program.
http://cxt_msp_shafl.members.atlantic.net

Download them both and put the "Deltree.exe" program anywhere that XP can find it.  My preferred place to put it is in:  
C:\windows\system32\
with all the other DOS commands.

Then you can put the XPCleanup.bat program in the root directory of C: and create a shortcut to it on your desktop for easy access.

I even put a copy of that shortcut in my
C:\Program Files\Startup
folder for a daily cleanup, during BOOT.  It takes only a few seconds if done daily and is like getting FREE Maid Service on your HD.  Set that shortcut to run "Minimized" and you won't see it on your screen during the boot-up process.
Then, just doing a defrag once a week, will keep that lil' hard drive purring like a kitten.  Wink Smiley Smiley
I do this for all my customers and those who understand it, love it.

If you have a Ghost boot disk, either floppy disk, flash drive or CD you can add the batch file to it, as well as Deltree.exe and you're good to go.
Remember, batch files won't work against an NTFS drive, unless you First run a program like NTFS4DOS, to allow the files on the HD to be 'seen' by a DOS program.

I suggest that if you're going to run MY program on YOUR computer, that you open the batch file in Wordpad, or some other suitable word processor and read it.  
It's all in plain text, of course, so you can both read it and edit it as you see fit.
If there is a line that would delete something that you DO NOT want to delete, like "Cookies" for instance, then either erase that line or just put two colons ( :: ) in the beginning of the line to disable it.  Save the batch file and you're good to go.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions or concerns.

I'd like to also address something Nigel said about NTFS being the most common structure for XP.  
Not always, of course, but very often, when a PC enthusiast (geek, nerd, tech, or whatever) has an informed choice, they will elect to go FAT-32 instead of NTFS.  I've seen it dozens of times.

I'd venture a guess that most of the worlds computer users still don't know what FAT-32 is or that XP runs quite nicely on it.
(Sometimes better )
Or, even that the file structure can be changed from NTFS to FAT-32.
I've done that many times with "Partition Magic 8".

With FAT-32, access to every file on the HD is as simple as booting up with a DOS boot disk.  Then from the DOS prompt, every file on the HD is fully accessible.

I don't know....maybe it's just because I'm "Old School" that I still love FAT-32.

I'm testing Vista and I hate it, because Vista will not load to a FAT-32 partition.  
Oh well, that's just the least of the problems with Vista. Angry
But that's food for another thread.....

Y'all have a great "Independence Day" now, Y'hear?

The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 12:26pm

TheShadow wrote on Jul 4th, 2008 at 9:32am:
I saw a few posts back (re-reading this entire thread today and correcting some errors in my own posts) that you were listed as an Ex-Member.
What's up with that?

See this thread.
Shadow, Thank you for your detailed explanation & the files!

Linux User 483705  |  (openSUSE 11.1,  Ubuntu 9.04,  i686)   w/ Windows XP
jaylinux  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print