Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PC Angle Replaces Ghost (Read 15413 times)
ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

PC Angle Replaces Ghost
Jan 10th, 2008 at 1:28pm

Symantec and ghost & Norton 360
===============================

the new Norton  360 internet protection software insist on removing
Norton Works along with Norton utilities,ghost,and goback.

PC Angle
========
http://www.softthinks.com/US/
http://www.pcangelle.com/
http://www.softthinks.com/US/technologies.html
http://www.pcangelle.com/faq_pcale_us/faq.asp?Action=Top10

Pc Angle comes from a German/French company called Soft Thinks
     Some PC manufacturers ,including HP and Compaq  ,are now factory installing
     an emergency rescue program called PC Angle instead of Ghost.

Dell use Ghost for recovery but they do not install Norton 360.

Regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Re: PC Angle Replaces Ghost
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 6:19pm

"Some PC manufacturers ,including HP and Compaq  ,are now factory installing an emergency rescue program called PC Angle instead of Ghost."

Where are you getting that info, Ben?  Did you find this info mentioned somewhere? 

I tried to follow some of the links to learn more, and encountered broken javascript, password-protected datasheet pdfs, a knowledgebase whose most recent entry was 4 years old, and other stuff that raises warning flags.

For example, this quote: "PC ANGEL LE is designed to allow System/White-box Builders to take advantage of the latest Microsoft regulations regarding the shipping of Recovery Solution."  The words "Microsoft regulations" link to ... uhm ... www.microsoft.com. ; Noting the PC Angel webpage is dated 2004, I wanted to learn what "regulations" they were referring to.  Simply linking to Microsoft's home page smacks of smoke and mirrors.

Another quote: "PC ANGEL LE is loaded on 60% of all PCs retailed in the US & several millions more deployed by brand-name OEMs."  If that's true (and who knows when that was, given the old dates on several parts of the website), I'm surprised we haven't heard about them before.  It also seems rather optimistic, given that Dell and IBM are not mentioned as customers.

The website claims HP/Compaq is a customer, but it doesn't say how they are using PC Angel or what they are using it on, so I'm wondering if you found a reference elsewhere that actually says HP/Compaq are now using PC Angel for their consumer recovery solution.  I don't have a recent HP/Compaq to examine, but I wonder if anyone else can corroborate a PC Angel copyright or trademark on a factory recovery system?

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 6:52am

The HP Backup and Recovery Manager utility, provided free with my HP xw4600 Workstation, is a SoftThinks product.  I have used it to perform a backup, but never a restore.  My own experience is that the product is quite slow, the documentation isn’t great, and it lacks many of the options found in solutions like ShadowProtect Desktop 3.0 or Norton Ghost 12.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 2:41pm

The Gateway computer I purchased last year has some sort of PC Angel resotre feature.  I've never used it.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 2:57pm

Interesting!  So it seems it has been out there, flying under the radar, so to speak.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 4:08pm

Hello Dan Goodell,

I read the article in Personal computer World October 2007
article written by Mr Barry Fox barry@pcw.co.uk
"Heaven must be missing an Angle"
I know that it is installed on Advents and other computers sold by Dixon Group
a retail chain store called PCworld which operate in Europe under name of PC CITY
as well.
their Tech knowledge base is
http://support.thetechguys.com/Layout.aspx?CatID=b24bf0db-4893-45c4-9161-ef2182b...

and there are some references already to probs with PC Angle

and that article mentioned HP and Compaq which are now same company

thank you for your help in past
Regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 5:43pm

Till about a year ago, a local distributor was selling the program. You have to let them install it for you on your system. The cost was about $15-20. If you are a system builder, I suppose you can buy a bulk license for 100 boxes or so.  However, several months ago, the local distributor discontinued selling the program, may be it was not popular.

From a user point of view, for backup purposes I feel Ghost and other products will meet the backup needs.

Rama

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 8:03am

When you're already driving a top O the line Cadillac, and someone suggests you buy a Yugo, what ya gonna do? Roll Eyes

Toshiba uses Ghost for their factory restore DVD's.
I've been using Ghost in one version or another since 1997.
That's MY Cadillac, (and I love it  Kiss ) no way do I want a Yugo.

Get my drift?

The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 2:13pm

With the extensive continuing support for GSS, and the compatibility with W98 thru Vista, in production environment, one does not switch software unless there are overridig rasons. The risk is too much and professionals do not like such risks. So most current users of Binary Research Ghost will continue with it for the forseeable future.

Rama

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print